CL Quarter Final Draw - Liverpool A Apr 4th - H Apr 10th

We simply have to get past these lot or we will never hear the last of it. Let's hope Istree and Eritage aren't playing for them or we've no chance ;)
Seriously, no Sterling or Zinchenko in the first leg please.

The lack of perspective I’ve seen in the media for this tie is frightening. This is a side that is 4th in their domestic league should Spurs win their game in hand. 18 Points begins the league leaders having played a game more, and no league title to their name since 1990. Valencia are 13 points behind Barca and yet they’d be a dream tie - why is this different? Liverpool are a big club absolutely, tons of honours in years gone by, but fortunately for us that counts for absolutely Zero in these two matches.

This Liverpool side aren’t one of the best in Europe unless you consider City, United and Spurs all to be even better. They aren’t a scary tie for any of the relevant European giants of today; Barca, Madrid and Bayern, and they certainly aren’t a team to be scared of on the pitch. They’re capable of winning the tie because they’re a good side, but they’re not nearly as good as they’ve become overnight since the draw. They’ll make some noise at Anfield too, but make no mistakes as to why, because that’s what they have to do to stay relevant in Europe, otherwise they’re just another average team with an outside shot of winning should they get a bit of luck along the way.

We are a far better side than this bunch, the league table tells us that without question, so we should be pleased we avoided Barca, Madrid, and Bayern, the 3 genuinely difficult ties in the competition, and hope we turn up to play like we can. If we do, we win, if we don’t, we only have ourselves to blame.
I think we’ll know and Pep will know what to expect this time and we’ll be ready. I think people forget Silva was missing and we’d had an incredibly gruelling schedule. The players should be focused, refreshed after a break and most importantly a fully fit squad.

The lack of perspective I’ve seen in the media for this tie is frightening. This is a side that is 4th in their domestic league should Spurs win their game in hand. 18 Points begins the league leaders having played a game more, and no league title to their name since 1990. Valencia are 13 points behind Barca and yet they’d be a dream tie - why is this different? Liverpool are a big club absolutely, tons of honours in years gone by, but fortunately for us that counts for absolutely Zero in these two matches.

This Liverpool side aren’t one of the best in Europe unless you consider City, United and Spurs all to be even better. They aren’t a scary tie for any of the relevant European giants of today; Barca, Madrid and Bayern, and they certainly aren’t a team to be scared of on the pitch. They’re capable of winning the tie because they’re a good side, but they’re not nearly as good as they’ve become overnight since the draw. They’ll make some noise at Anfield too, but make no mistakes as to why, because that’s what they have to do to stay relevant in Europe, otherwise they’re just another average team with an outside shot of winning should they get a bit of luck along the way.

We are a far better side than this bunch, the league table tells us that without question, so we should be pleased we avoided Barca, Madrid, and Bayern, the 3 genuinely difficult ties in the competition, and hope we turn up to play like we can. If we do, we win, if we don’t, we only have ourselves to blame.

Problem is I bet Chelsea said exactly the same back in 05 when they romped to the title with a record points tally and having lost only once all season and was about to face a Liverpool side that finished 5th that season.

That Chelsea 05 side under Mourinho was one of the best English football has seen in the Premier League era.

I don’t think it suits us being so far ahead of Liverpool going into these games because the pressure will be there in the two ties to prove it whilst with Liverpool quarter finals was probably the absolute best they could have hoped for at the start of the season.

Problem is I bet Chelsea said exactly the same back in 05 when they romped to the title with a record points tally and having lost only once all season and was about to face a Liverpool side that finished 5th that season.

That Chelsea 05 side under Mourinho was one of the best English football has seen in the Premier League era.

I don’t think it suits us being so far ahead of Liverpool going into these games because the pressure will be there in the two ties to prove it whilst with Liverpool quarter finals was probably the absolute best they could have hoped for at the start of the season.

I think the thing that is different to the 2005 side is Liverpool had won a lot of trophies in the early 2000s and were consistently finishing in the top 4 with players like Carragher, Gerrard, Hyppia who had that mentality. This current squad at the moment do not have that mentality, they limped to 4th last year and were very patchy in the league up until the start of this year. We have shown how strong our mentality is this season. With Silva, Kompany and hopefully Delph and Mendy back I'm confident we will have enough. The thing that is so interesting is its almost certain both sides will score in both legs, it will come down to who can see out the results.

I think you underestimate us, Barca is the level we are at, I've seen enough of Bayern and Madrid this season (sad I know, need to get out more), to know we are a level above. Don't be fooled by Madrid's CL win over PSG they were fortunate in the first leg and they have had some abject performances in La Liga. Bayern were also comprehensively outplayed by PSG in Paris in the group stage and an ageing Robben is still probably their most dangerous player but he's nowhere near KDB's class. Beat the dippers which I think we will and we have a great chance
I largely agree, but I don't underestimate us. Madrid, Barca and Bayern don't have many domestic hard games - unlike us. They usually give it the extra 10 per cent in the CL knockout stages. And you're playing the ref at their grounds - especially Barca. We're the young emerging team no-one wants to play though. The PSG front two cost as much as a large slice of our team (the media never say that), but they look pretty feeble to me because the French league is so poor.

I think the thing that is different to the 2005 side is Liverpool had won a lot of trophies in the early 2000s and were consistently finishing in the top 4 with players like Carragher, Gerrard, Hyppia who had that mentality. This current squad at the moment do not have that mentality, they limped to 4th last year and were very patchy in the league up until the start of this year. We have shown how strong our mentality is this season. With Silva, Kompany and hopefully Delph and Mendy back I'm confident we will have enough. The thing that is so interesting is its almost certain both sides will score in both legs, it will come down to who can see out the results.

Good points.

Agreed.

As long as we don't concede the customary early goal at Anfield then I fancy us. Pep will have learnt a lot from the 4-3 game.

Take care blues. Terrifying

mc3z9v.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.