Classic Rock (Phil Collins lives, run for the hills)

Not a fan of the Hogarth albums except Seasons end, but I’ve seen them live with him a couple of times and thought live he and they were excellent.
I’ve come to appreciate certain individual songs with him involved, or even sections of tracks, but overall I’m not sure it’s enough to persuade me to go and see them, partly cos they’ve written that much now, the set list would be a lottery I guess.
The Great Escape I like, and there’s about half of the tracks on the Marbles album that I think are brilliant. But it’s just something about the wavering, quavering, straining quality of his voice that I find real difficulty with. Over the years, I have tried, I really have!

My other issue ,last time I saw them with Pineda,they were playing bigger venues than with Augeri or Soto and a big chunk of the audience were there for the other bands or just the one song and didn't know the rest of the set. Think this will be similar.

There will be a big chunk of the Glee/Don't Stop Believin' crowd I am sure.

Always loved that song, and back on release in 1981, it was played nightly in The Phoenix in town. It always resonated with us Blues in there, the 'City boy' line and the whole 'don't stop believin' thing chimed with us. (Not that we could have imagined for a minute where our belief would take us!) obviously well overplayed now, lol.

Saw Marillion at MK Bowl in '84 supporting Quo - my mates were huge fans, but I was not convinced. To be fair, they were really good!

There will be a big chunk of the Glee/Don't Stop Believin' crowd I am sure.
I first heard of them in '79 when Evolution came out. I bought Escape in 1980 and joined the merchant navy in the same year. I got Infinity, which I hadn't seen before, in a record shop in Wilhelmshaven in Germany. As it was the lp, I couldn't play it until I got home several months later, so the anticipation was off the scale. Probably because of that, it's my all time number 1 album!

Neither the missus nor me are keen on Pineda singing. Especially live. Plus $chon and Cain clearly hate each other (publicity shots aside) and last time we saw them, they barely even looked at each other, lol. So not too fussed about seeing them again.

Cheap Trick of course is a different matter for me. Was gutted they didn't reschedule the Covid cancelled headline dates, and was beginning to think we had seen the last of them over here.

I fully understand the logic of them joining Journey for this. (though I still can't see most actually selling out in arenas. Apollo size theatres yes ...) Especially that Neilsen says at his age, he is happy to do their set and be back in the hotel relaxing by 10 pm as support act.

And therein lies my problem ... it's £daft ticket prices for what will clearly be a 45 min 'greatest hits' set, and I really can't justify paying so much for that. Additionally, I hate the AO Arena, where unless best seats sound is shite. I did have a look at presale this morning for the far superior Leeds Arena, and could have had second row seats ... but totalling £280 ... and as hard as it was to do, I declined them.

Of course, if this is their last hurrah over here, I will be sad I missed it, but then my last memory of seeing them will have been their gig at The Cavern Club a few years ago, and that was one of the best I have ever seen them do. So I can live with that.

Though ... in the past I have been lucky to get on their guest list when they have been the support act a few times. (Deep Purple and Def Leppard tours were two) and I have been in touch with my contact there, so will see ;-)
Just discovered the Steve Albini "In Color" sessions on YouTube. Brilliant.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.