Climate Change is here and man made

I watched it, but my biggest takeaway wasn't climate change, it was just good, old-fashioned water pollution.
No nor did I, water pollution, and lack of water was the message, and a pretty shocking one, in parts of the world that need water most, my point (probably badly made) was that they are all an equal issue. One thing that she didn't dwell on (as she concentrated on lack of water, and then its pollution), was that many fashion items are synthetic, and that this is responsible for the other scourge on the earth, plastic pollution.

Its actually quite staggering what a mess we are making of our home.

No nor did I, water pollution, and lack of water was the message, and a pretty shocking one, in parts of the world that need water most, my point (probably badly made) was that they are all an equal issue. One thing that she didn't dwell on (as she concentrated on lack of water, and then its pollution), was that many fashion items are synthetic, and that this is responsible for the other scourge on the earth, plastic pollution.

We’re a fucking pest on this planet. We’re too intelligent for the planet to sustain us, certainly at current technological levels. It might be that technology and human inventiveness eventually saves the day, but that’s not a given.

Obviously the main issue is people buying too much shit that they don't need. You find that whatever you try to do, somethings going to go wrong. Polyester and acrylic fuck up the oceans with plastic pollution. Cotton destroys our water supply. Organic cotton probably uses twice as much land or something. Bamboo uses less water but more carbon. Wool relies on the exploitation of animals. Dunno about hemp, but there's bound to be some negative effect. It was quite telling that Levis were the only company that agreed to speak to her, but let's be honest, they're not the sort of fast fashion brand that's causing the problems. Nobody's buying a pair of Levis jeans every few weeks.

Took me two years to think about it ;-)

I like this. So the challenge is to reach 11 Billion without hastening climate change or climate change impacting population growth?

Is enough attention being paid on adapting to climate change? And not just for the existing population but for our kids and their kids, etc? If it is we don't hear about it. Seperating my bins is talked about plenty or water charges or some other effort that seems to create a buck for someone.

It was quite telling that Levis were the only company that agreed to speak to her, but let's be honest, they're not the sort of fast fashion brand that's causing the problems. Nobody's buying a pair of Levis jeans every few weeks.
I'd never even thought about it as an issue before tonight, and I suspect 99% of us either didn't, or still don't know. Luckily I'm not a serial buyer of clothes anyway, and those I get rid of, 90% go to a charity shop for recycling, but the fact that none of these fashion companies would engage with her was even more shocking.

I'd never even thought about it as an issue before tonight, and I suspect 99% of us either didn't, or still don't know. Luckily I'm not a serial buyer of clothes anyway, and those I get rid of, 90% go to a charity shop for recycling, but the fact that none of these fashion companies would engage with her was even more shocking.
I dunno, there's been a lot of criticism of fast fashion in the media, but it's normally down to their effect on workers rather than the environment.

Took me two years to think about it ;-)

Ive watched this a couple of times. I'm not convinced by it at all.

I don't believe enough of the third world can develop fast enough to bring it out of poverty and believe instead that western populations or rather population growth in western counties will continue to grow driven by migration.

You only have to look at fertility rates in migrant populations compared to their native rates to see that they do not slow to match the rate of the new location. In fact I saw stats that showed in some cases it went up.

Polish women have more children if they live in the UK than if they lived in Poland for example. I believe the same is true for sub Saharan africans as the mortality rates are lower in the developed world and migrating populations are lifted out of absolute poverty which is good but they have more children which is bad.

The answer to climate change*, water shortage, sea pollution and many other of the planets problems is population.

*Still not convinced this is driven by the now standard carbon model, but that's a different topic.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.