Club statement regarding Barry Bennell's conviction

Watching the documentary last night something was mentioned that may cast a bit of light on why he got away with it for so long. When he was accused of rape in the States numerous boys wrote letters in his defence, including some now involved in the latest case. A lot gave glowing endorsements about his behaviour and character. There may have been rumours but if boys were asked and said he was great and no problem people in that day and age wouldn't have pursued it further.

I would guess that eventually someone did decide things were fishy and got rid of him. The enquiry should clear a lot up although given that Bennell is now 64 a lot of people involved are now probably dead.

Well said. Although we aren't the 'same' club nowadays. Whoever has tried to cover up the actions of this **** needs to be prosecuted.

If indeed there is anyone who 'covered it up' & if they are still alive.

Having read the quotes from Steve Fleet, there was no mention of actuall evidence against Bennell at the time, just that some people in football, said he was a 'wrongun'. But lots of parents also seemed to be taken in completely by him, so it's not surprising that officials at the club may have been.

The question is whether his association with City was terminated because of a proven incident which was then covered up, or whether that was also based on hearsay.

But I know second hand, but from a person i would trust with my life, my mate was told by an ex pro, about being abused by another very prominent figure in this case, with no connections to City, but very strong connections to Bennell. And that it was structured & organised & routine for it to happen to kids.

Be interesting to see if that comes out, but as I say, that part has no connection to City. Be major news if it was proven though.

I have just read the guardian article and it is utterly horrible what this despicable cunnt got away with, on a par with saville. I hope he lives in prison for a long time, and gets tortured to fuck physically and emotionally day in and day out, for ruining so many lives. Anyone who knew about his behaviour and did nothing should live in shame for the rest of their lives. As a dad of 2 young lads who live and breathe football it is heartbreaking to read about what society, professional and amateur football clubs and all of the relevant authorities allowed to happen, utterly appalling, and if it was a film you would not believe it could be real

There was a scout in his early 70s who supposedly working for both City and United who lived on Wansford Street in Moss Side in the early/mid-80s, right opposite the ground and the next street up from us.

He would regularly promise to get the kids playing on the croft autographs and said he could get them trials. He was always in an out of the main entrance at City.

My folks and plenty other parents in the surrounding streets told us to stay well clear and that he was a dirty old man. One of the creepiest people I have ever come across in my life.

I had a frank and sobering conversation last night with my ten-year-old boy on his way to football training last night. It's not something I anticipated discussing at such an age, it was very difficult trying to explain why some people want to get close to children and some of the things they might say to achieve what they want and to go undetected.

I have just read the guardian article and it is utterly horrible what this despicable cunnt got away with, on a par with saville. I hope he lives in prison for a long time, and gets tortured to fuck physically and emotionally day in and day out, for ruining so many lives. Anyone who knew about his behaviour and did nothing should live in shame for the rest of their lives. As a dad of 2 young lads who live and breathe football it is heartbreaking to read about what society, professional and amateur football clubs and all of the relevant authorities allowed to happen, utterly appalling, and if it was a film you would not believe it could be real

The Guardian article is the worst form of tabloid crap because it's pretending to be quality journalism.

The Guardian article is the worst form of tabloid crap because it's pretending to be quality journalism.
It’s not how it’s written, or even the reason for writing it, but the sheer horror of what this cunnt did, that’s the story here, not the standard of the journalism. If I feel upset after reading about it, I can’t imagine what it was, and still is, like for his victims. Against that background I don’t get your point, in the slightest

There was a scout in his early 70s who supposedly working for both City and United who lived on Wansford Street in Moss Side in the early/mid-80s, right opposite the ground and the next street up from us.

He would regularly promise to get the kids playing on the croft autographs and said he could get them trials. He was always in an out of the main entrance at City.

My folks and plenty other parents in the surrounding streets told us to stay well clear and that he was a dirty old man. One of the creepiest people I have ever come across in my life.

I had a frank and sobering conversation last night with my ten-year-old boy on his way to football training last night. It's not something I anticipated discussing at such an age, it was very difficult trying to explain why some people want to get close to children and some of the things they might say to achieve what they want and to go undetected.

Personally I believe there are some high profile people involved in this kind of behaviour, in football, just as seems to be the case in so many other walks of life & it may be that some very big names actually knew about certain people, but like in all the other cases, it has been allowed to continue because it's easier to try not to believe it's real, than to accept the horrors of it & confront it.

Completely agree about what do you tell your kids. My 9 year old was listening to the news in the car last night, he must have wondered what and why it all meant

This is an absolutely sickening case. However, whether City have any liability in regards of the actions of Bennell or other such odious creatures very much remains to be seen and will be a matter fact (or legal opinion based on fact).

City have apparently spent a lot of money on investigating this matter and it may well be that they will decide to compensate some victims even if they do not believe they have any liability because they can afford to and want to show compassion.

It’s not how it’s written, or even the reason for writing it, but the sheer horror of what this cunnt did, that’s the story here, not the standard of the journalism. If I feel upset after reading about it, I can’t imagine what it was, and still is, like for his victims. Against that background I don’t get your point, in the slightest

All sorts of tenuous stuff is bolted together in order to create "all roads lead to City".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.