Club statement regarding Barry Bennell's conviction

Having watched that Dispatches documentary one thing (inter alia) that struck me was that in the 70’s, 80’s and even the early 90’s, how much more innocent our society was; Ken Barnes perhaps being the most extreme example of this. This was an environment that predators such as Bennell exploited and thrived in; so that loss of innocence could be viewed as a necessary evil, but it’s hard not to be sad about the prevailing atmosphere of suspicion and cynicism that overwhelms modern society. Inevitable perhaps, but sad nonetheless.

Child sex abuse is probably the most selfish of crimes and I’m certain Bennell’s sentence, quite rightly, will be over 20 years, if not life. He’s just as much a sociopath as Harold Shipman or Fred West were.

I’m equally sure the club will do the right thing.

Having watched that Dispatches documentary one thing (inter alia) that struck me was that in the 70’s, 80’s and even the early 90’s, how much more innocent our society was; Ken Barnes perhaps being the most extreme example of this. This was an environment that predators such as Bennell exploited and thrived in; so that loss of innocence could be viewed as a necessary evil, but it’s hard not to be sad about the prevailing atmosphere of suspicion and cynicism that overwhelms modern society. Inevitable perhaps, but sad nonetheless.
That’s exactly right. Well put.

We were warned not to talk to or go off with strangers. We’d had the Moors Murders trial so we knew there were bad people. But no one warned us about the people we thought we should be able to trust - priests, scout leaders, football coaches, teachers, family members and others.

We were warned not to talk to or go off with strangers. We’d had the Moors Murders trial so we knew there were bad people. But no one warned us about the people we thought we should be able to trust - priests, scout leaders, football coaches, teachers, family members and others.
In relation to many of those callings; they did it because they could - and they thought they were untouchable ad infinitum. How wrong they were.

Yep, spot on, John Kilbride was abducted from Ashton Market by Brady and Hindley in the 60's and it was absolutely ingrained in us not to talk to strangers or even accept sweets from them . However as you say no reference or warning was given about people with responsibility in those positions you mentioned .We wouldn't have known what paedophilia was and we were far removed from it. But now as it comes to light it was an underground, sinister activity that targeted vulnerable kids in many forms, from the poor and underprivileged to the aspiring footballers and Church choirboys. And let's not forget the good old BBC and their ambivalence towards abuse allegations with Saville and his cohorts.

Taking the piss out of Munich is bad enough, but kids? Can you really see fans doing this & not getting slaughtered? There will always be one, but can you really see huge swathes of away fans doing this?

I suppose we'll all find out on Monday...
You seem to indicate taking the piss out of abused kids is worse than taking the piss put of people killed in a plane crash. Or did I misinterpret?

You seem to indicate taking the piss out of abused kids is worse than taking the piss put of people killed in a plane crash. Or did I misinterpret?
That's exactly what he said. Dribble or drivel? There doesn't seem to be any difference.

Child sex abuse is probably the most selfish of crimes and I’m certain Bennell’s sentence, quite rightly, will be over 20 years, if not life. He’s just as much a sociopath as Harold Shipman or Fred West were.

I’m equally sure the club will do the right thing.
West raped, tortured and murdered his own daughter, before burying her under the patio. A patio which was situated under the dungeon where he"d allowed his wife to watch the rape and torture of her own daughter. Shipman murdered people on what the police called, "an industrial scale". Both are light years ahead of Bennell in terms of sociopathic tendencies. Light years.

I didn't assume, I just couldn't find any references to how he made his income to fund his football activities & 'flash' lifestyle. If you knew, you could have said just as i would have because the point I was making was purely about how he could afford to do what he was doing. Thankfully someone answered this important caveat.

I didn't know and was not going to guess.

I am interested to know the facts regarding his "connection" to City.

West raped, tortured and murdered his own daughter, before burying her under the patio. A patio which was situated under the dungeon where he"d allowed his wife to watch the rape and torture of her own daughter. Shipman murdered people on what the police called, "an industrial scale". Both are light years ahead of Bennell in terms of sociopathic tendencies. Light years.

Not so sure about this, Bennell is a mass rapist, just because he didn't need the thrill of the kill doesn't make him less of a sick bastard than the other 2 mentioned.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.