Club statement regarding Barry Bennell's conviction

As did I re Platt Lane and that particular Boys Brigade outfit.

The guy in question was a senior copper and used to take a few to Sharston Baths.

It did not surprise me in the slightest when it emerged he had been doing what he had for years.

Poor kids.

Bang on re Gus and Ralph, great coaches and lovely fellas.
I went to that Boys Brigade too. Mr Macintosh had a big Land Rover everyone got in. I got on the team because he'd seen me playing on Whalley Range playing fields which I found a bit strange given we only used to nick over the fence for a kickabout, not proper games.

When he got sent down, my sister rang to check if we'd been abused by him (she was a prison officer). Didn't actually know anyone who had, nor were there rumours that I recollect.

I want to that Boys Brigade too. Mr Macintosh had a big Land Rover everyone got in. I got on the team because he'd seen me playing on Whalley Range playing fields which I found a bit strange given we only used to nick over the fence for a kickabout, not proper games.

When he got sent down, my sister rang to check if we'd been abused by him (she was a prison officer). Didn't actually know anyone who had, nor were there rumours that I recollect.

That's spooky.

I didn't give a fuck about the Boys Brigade but my mate who went told him I was a good footballer and he invited me to play.

I scored a couple on my debut on Wilbraham school field and then he took us all to Sharston Baths.

He was grabbing kids in the pool but I knew it was weird and kicked the bastard well away.

I think these predators know who to prey on.

Shameful that so many young lives and the families of those affected have been blighted by this man's actions. Perhaps someone can answer for me (apologies as I know little about his time at City other than what's in the news):

Was Barry Bennell actually an employee of Manchester City ? How long was he employed or working for Manchester City as a youth team coach ? When was he working for City (which years ?)

I know this is a serious and harrowing subject, but I have to say - that part of your story did make me smile. Glad to know it - eventually - had a happy ending! :)

Back on topic, City's statement says that the club's review has uncovered "serious allegations of child sex abuse in respect of two identifiable individuals with potential historic connections to Manchester City", and Bennell is the first of them. The other guy is called John Broome; he's "deceased and is not believed to be linked to Bennell". I don't know who Broome is, and I haven't been able to find out much by Googling. All I can find are media stories from today reporting that City named him in their statement. Is anyone aware who he was and how he may have been with the club?
Just another sick chancer by the sound of it pal.

As did I re Platt Lane and that particular Boys Brigade outfit.

The guy in question was a senior copper and used to take a few to Sharston Baths.

It did not surprise me in the slightest when it emerged he had been doing what he had for years.

Poor kids.

Bang on re Gus and Ralph, great coaches and lovely fellas.

Don Mackintosh was a Sergeant in GMP, he'd worked mostly around the Moss Side area before becoming a training officer in the Cadet department which was where I met him. Within the cadets there was absolutely no indication of anything amiss about him, we were probably too old for his taste and several would have dropped him on the spot without too much bother had anything happened. When I first heard about it (after I'd left GMP) I tried to think back and recall any sort of suggestion that he was a child abuser and there was nothing, he was, from memory, probably the most liked of the staff. I doubt any of us knew of his other outside interests, Boys Brigade, Church Elder etc. It would be interesting to know if there were any rumours floating around those places at the time? The fact that he was able to continue with a fairly successful career in the Police just highlights how easy it was for people of his type to operate without too much fear of being caught in the 70's. He committed suicide a few years back after being accused of further historical abuse offences.

Shameful that so many young lives and the families of those affected have been blighted by this man's actions. Perhaps someone can answer for me (apologies as I know little about his time at City other than what's in the news):

Was Barry Bennell actually an employee of Manchester City ? How long was he employed or working for Manchester City as a youth team coach ? When was he working for City (which years ?)
As far as I can see he was never an employee. He applied for a job but some people at City, primarily Steve Fleet, weren't happy about him & had heard things so he wasn't taken on. But he seems to have had close connections to the club.

Here's a long piece by Daniel Taylor headlined "Barry Bennell: the predatory Pied Piper who made stars and shattered lives": https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-abuse-manchester-city-crewe?CMP=share_btn_tw

And the story of David Lean, another survivor: https://news.sky.com/story/barry-be...ttle-star-then-groomed-and-abused-me-11237797

Horrific.

I played against John Sheridan when I was 12 in a school game. Makes me wonder if Bennell was watching the game. Some of the stories in this article make gruesome reading.

The fiend wasn’t an employee but he ran an unofficial City schoolboys team. He got perks like free tickets to City games and was held in awe by families of promising youngsters because of his reputation as a “star maker”.

He was involved with a junior football club Whitehill FC in the late 70s/early 80s. At the time professional clubs couldn't sign young players before their 14th birthday so many senior clubs had a loose affiliation with some of these junior teams, providing kits etc in return for first option on any promising youngsters. That's how the connection with City started.

He was never officially employed by MCFC but he did have fairly easy access to the Platt Lane training ground via his contacts at the club. His association with City ended in 1984.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.