Club vs country *Poll Added*

Who do you follow/support more passionately?

• Total voters
Can't stand international football, it brings out the worst in a lot of people. If it stopped tomorrow I wouldn't miss it.
In the 70s and 80s the England fanbase was dominated by cockney racists then suddenly they turned into happy clapper plastics....not for me.

I come from a very small country that is remarkably shit at football. In order to have a good football career the players can't stay in this league. So everyone kinda pulls together for the national team as there are no rival players to hate or any good club football but of course people aren't overly interested as the team sucks. There's just so long you can tolerate another 0-0 against some other minnow and losing 5-0 to any half decent team. The stadium is only full when a big international team visits.

I support City more as there is no real hope of international team achieveing anything but if my country produced some remarkable golden generation I think it would become top. Even getting to a world cup for my country would be nothing short of a miracle and I'm sure people can understand the kind of emotion that would bring.

This was the game of football that got me into football.

Not unrelated, I became a Blue shortly afterwards.

1 Corrigan (Manchester City)
2 Mills (Ipswich Town)
3 Cherry (Leeds United)
4 B Greenhoff (Manchester United)
5 Watson (Manchester City)
6 Currie (Leeds United)
7 Coppell (Manchester United)
8 Keegan (SV Hamburg)
9 Latchford (Everton)
10 Francis (Birmingham City)
11 Barnes (Manchester City)

But I think I liked the other players, even Coppell. Brian Greenhoff should have been nowhere near an international cap though.

Odd too how maverick flair players were mistrusted by managers who rarely rose above basic competence. As with Currie then, so with Grealish now. Or, as the Bard of Sedgley Park put it in The Fall’s classic 1982 ‘Kicker Conspiracy’ - “under marble Millichip the FA broods, on how flair should be punished”.

Since about Mexico 1986 I’ve always been a bit iffy about England. Now I think I’d shut the curtains if they were playing in my back garden; what shapes the Waistcoat makes Jackie, Boy Wonder, Raheem, Jonny Boulders and The Sheffield Leopard assume would be too painful to watch in close quarters.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.