Cole Palmer

With zero disrespect, he is playing for a team that is mid table in the premier league and having a half decent if unspectacular season i wouldnt say that is a massive rise but it depends what you want from football.
David Silva and Yaya Toure joined Manchester City when they were " mid table " and " unspectacular"
Look what happened shortly afterwards.

When you say " it depends what you want from football"
If your a very talented young player,with a big belief in your own ability,who has not managed to nail down a first team spot...you could be forgiven in thinking...I am good enough.i want 1st team, Premier League football...Now.

Time will tell if Palmer has made the right move,but if you know your a good player ,surely it's frustrating getting only bit parts.

Take a look at the early career of one Grame Souness.

Signed professional contract at Spurs in the late 60s, as a 15 year old.under the management of the great Spurs Coach Bill Nicholson
who takes his role firmly in the history of English football after over seeing the League and fa cup double in 1960 /61 season playing an attractive 'push and run' style game ...which stood out amongst the long ball rubbish around st the time.

A year later,Souness,as a 16 year old was telling Bill Nicholson

I'm good enough to play for the 1st team now. I'm the best player at the club.

Nicholson didn't agree,and Souness made only one appearance for Spurs,before, after a short time in America,joining Middlesbrough in the old 2nd division, winning promotion to the top league under Jack Charlton where he was a star performer for Boro,year after year...before signing for Liverpool and winning the lot, proving himse of to be one of the finest most accomplished central midfield players of his day.

The 15 year old Souness must have been termed a cocky arrogant trouble causer....but his career ended up with a stack of medals trophies and accolades far out weighing anything Bill Nicholson had achieved in the game...

If your confident enough in your own ability and you want to play
That burning desire inside of you is not going to go away.

Fair play to any young footballer who backs himself.
A footballers career is short.who knows what s round the corner..

Fortune favours the brave.

It’s only my opinion but with the money we have spent to improve the academy over these last few years we are now starting to crop the fruit we sowed. There is bound to be a bruised pear or soggy banana along the way and in Palmer we had neither but a lad who wants to play and if that’s at another club so be it. On the bright side are all the little gems we are getting with our investments.
Yeah I agree, City have made £440m since 2016 selling academy players and we still have Bobb, Lewis, Hamilton etc on the books. Best academy in the world by a country mile.

Yeah thats fair. He’s had a good first half of this season. If he kicks on again from here then he’s a bonefide solid Premier League player by the end of the season (his first full season, would be a great achievement). He could quite as easily not score again tho (although id predict the former).

Some of the reporting has been OTT as a dig at City. No surprises there
It creates too much pressure and then when he misses chances like he did against Boro he became the reason they didn’t win!

I reckon he was from Newall Green, got that oikish look they all have round there.

I think it was @domalino who said perhaps Bobb (and other young players at City) are watching Palmer's rise with keen eyes.
Think Pep is already showing more trust in Bobb and Lewis than he ever did in Palmer. Not sure Palmer ever really convinced Pep he had the all round game he expects of his players. Same really as Sane never fully gained Peps full confidence.

With zero disrespect, he is playing for a team that is mid table in the premier league and having a half decent if unspectacular season i wouldnt say that is a massive rise but it depends what you want from football.
He’s got like 12 goals and assists and is the main man, number 10 for a big club.

I don’t think he would start for us anywhere but he’s still having a great season for somebody of his age.

That's probably fair enough. I wonder how many of those games were off the bench though, and how many starts? The perception I had of Foden back then was of a young player with immense immense talent but not getting enough starts for a player of his quality, which I also understood because he had mega players like David and Bernado Silva plus KDB occupying the positions he likes to play in. Once David Silva left and you didn't replace him with another big name signing, I realised what City's plan had been all along for Foden.

A fair amount were off the bench but it was hysterical nonsense. I remember at the time you’d hear City won’t give them a chance like ‘Fergie’ & class of 92 yet they weren’t breaking through until they were 21.

You never hear it about Harvey Elliott…. Why do you think that is?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.