Colin Bell RIP - Ian Cheeseman interview with Jon Bell (P142)

Before my time sadly but just reading some of the posts in this thread is abit emotional. To be hailed as one of if not the best player to play for City after the players we’ve witnessed over the past 10 years makes it remarkable to imagine how good he was.

Fingers crossed for a fitting tribute tonight.

Yes, the injury was caused by a bad tackle from Martin Buchan. We had a discussion of it recently and my take is here: DRINK A DRINK FOR COLIN THE KING THIS BOXING DAY | Page 6 | Bluemoon - the leading Manchester City forum (bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk)

Agree with everything else you say there.
Thanks, just read that mate, very illuminating. I haven't seen the incident in question but it appears you believe it was reckless but nowhere near as malicious as the Best on Pardoe incident (which I had heard of from lurking here) and obviously that thug Keane on Haaland which wasn't even football. You're probably right and it seems like Bell held no will will towards Buchan as you say, but then that could be just because he was such a great man that he never held a grudge.

The idea that City scrimped on treating the injury is a sore one to take. Like you say it would be a false economy because you'd have recouped the money back even in those days through having Bell fit and in the team, and being in a better position to challenge.

Either way, it's a terrible shame from a footballing standpoint that Colin Bell's career was effectively ended by that tackle, malicious or not. That game where he made his return though sounds like it was something truly special.

Woke up, as always before the alarm, straight off got to thinking about tonight and of course the sad news from last night. I then remembered that years ago my better half managed to get a signed copy of Reluctant Hero as a Christmas or Birthday present. I haven't seen it for ages so got up to look through the hundreds of places it could be. Found it straight away! RIP The King

I was born and raised in Bath and football daft, my uncle, who married a Manchester girl and lived in the area for a while used to tell us about this footballer he used to live near. He talked not only about him being a great player but also about what a kind and unassuming man he was. And so Colin Bell, Nijinsky, The King, came into my life. As luck would have it in May 1969 his team came to my city to play a testimonial. MCFC had just won the FA cup and so my Birthday treat was a trip to see the FA Cup, former Bath player Tony Book, former Bath Manager Malcolm Allison and of course the man my Aunt and Uncle always spoke so highly of. The match was a 5-5 draw. Youngsters were allowed onto the pitch at half and full time and I repeatedly kicked the ball I’d brought with me into the net just like my newly discovered heroes had been doing. To this day I still think this was the best birthday present I ever had and a large part of my life became a tale of two cities. Manchester City FC and Bath City FC. Colin Bell quickly became and remains my all-time hero.

When nearly all my contemporaries were Leeds supporters (later to a man to become Scouse Rag fans) Colin and his performances for England gave this lone loyal City fan some ammunition to fight back with at School. I swapped over 100 football trading cards (virtually all of the non MCFC ones I had) for one 3D picture (issued by the Sun) of King Colin. I remember him being hacked down when bursting from midfield in the infamous World cup qualifier vs Poland in 1973. I remember his performances for England in the Home Internationals (the only live TV footie we had in those day). I remember the joy of his equalising goal Vs Wolves in the 1974 league cup final and the subsequent despair at city losing. I remember balancing lying head first down our stairs to get a view into our open plan lounge to see “Sports Nights” coverage of the 4th round league cup 4-0 rout of the rags, desperately hoping not to be discovered if mum looked round, and trying to surpress my joy as we scored goal after goal and my outrage at Buchan’s challenge. I remember listening to radio coverage of Colin’s return as a half time substitute on Boxing Day, even on the radio it sounded like something extra special was happening. Of course that was the season when city were being followed by the BBC’s “Nationwide” cameras and I remember the moving episode they showed about his brave rehabilitation efforts. As with Paul Lake I feel cheated that City and England were robbed of many years exceptional service from a great great player.

I have Asperger’ and don’t normally feel much emotion or post online. Someone dies (even family) it’s normally yes very sad but Meh. Tonight I’m a blubbering mess.

King Colin you affected my life greatly, I had the honour to meet you once outside Maine Road and you shook my hand. It felt like I’d just met God. Thank you for all the joy you brought so many people, Thank you for providing the world with an NHS hero in these desperate times. Taken way too early you will long be remembered. RIP and THANK YOU.
I think I've still got the book of that Nationwide series.

The way my dad and other family members spoke about him made me feel as though I'd watched him a thousand times though I never actually watched him play once (before my time). A huge loss to our club. R.I.P KING COLIN BELL

Yep even the ball itself looks like it has lead in it in couldsome clips, probably to help with the bobbly pitches. The
Glyn Pardoe said that he could have played with the modern stars but could they have played on the mud baths and other crappy pitches the old team played on.
Not many of that team left now. From memory:
The Grand Old Man, Tony Book, Alan Oakes, Franny and Buzzer. Dave Connor and Joe Corrigan a bit later.
Quite rightly the lead item on the BBC local news with clips showing those dreadful pitches and referring to him as the King of the Kippax.
Then the main sports section had a decent tribute to him pointing out something l never realised. He got his nickname from his popularity with a particular stand and years later the fans voted for a stand to be named after him.

I was born and raised in Bath and football daft, my uncle, who married a Manchester girl and lived in the area for a while used to tell us about this footballer he used to live near. He talked not only about him being a great player but also about what a kind and unassuming man he was. And so Colin Bell, Nijinsky, The King, came into my life. As luck would have it in May 1969 his team came to my city to play a testimonial. MCFC had just won the FA cup and so my Birthday treat was a trip to see the FA Cup, former Bath player Tony Book, former Bath Manager Malcolm Allison and of course the man my Aunt and Uncle always spoke so highly of. The match was a 5-5 draw. Youngsters were allowed onto the pitch at half and full time and I repeatedly kicked the ball I’d brought with me into the net just like my newly discovered heroes had been doing. To this day I still think this was the best birthday present I ever had and a large part of my life became a tale of two cities. Manchester City FC and Bath City FC. Colin Bell quickly became and remains my all-time hero.

When nearly all my contemporaries were Leeds supporters (later to a man to become Scouse Rag fans) Colin and his performances for England gave this lone loyal City fan some ammunition to fight back with at School. I swapped over 100 football trading cards (virtually all of the non MCFC ones I had) for one 3D picture (issued by the Sun) of King Colin. I remember him being hacked down when bursting from midfield in the infamous World cup qualifier vs Poland in 1973. I remember his performances for England in the Home Internationals (the only live TV footie we had in those day). I remember the joy of his equalising goal Vs Wolves in the 1974 league cup final and the subsequent despair at city losing. I remember balancing lying head first down our stairs to get a view into our open plan lounge to see “Sports Nights” coverage of the 4th round league cup 4-0 rout of the rags, desperately hoping not to be discovered if mum looked round, and trying to surpress my joy as we scored goal after goal and my outrage at Buchan’s challenge. I remember listening to radio coverage of Colin’s return as a half time substitute on Boxing Day, even on the radio it sounded like something extra special was happening. Of course that was the season when city were being followed by the BBC’s “Nationwide” cameras and I remember the moving episode they showed about his brave rehabilitation efforts. As with Paul Lake I feel cheated that City and England were robbed of many years exceptional service from a great great player.

I have Asperger’ and don’t normally feel much emotion or post online. Someone dies (even family) it’s normally yes very sad but Meh. Tonight I’m a blubbering mess.

King Colin you affected my life greatly, I had the honour to meet you once outside Maine Road and you shook my hand. It felt like I’d just met God. Thank you for all the joy you brought so many people, Thank you for providing the world with an NHS hero in these desperate times. Taken way too early you will long be remembered. RIP and THANK YOU.
marvelous wonderful post
thank you mate

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.