Company websites and untruths

PistonBlue

You have to forget the tradional concept of money
I’m pretty sure a lot of Companies tell little lies on their websites but what if any legal recourse is there if they are pulled up on them.

Long story short, I run a small electrical business and it has come to my attention that a competitor of ours, with whom I am aware but have had no dealings with, are falsely stating on their website that they have been doing work for a particular Council across their facilities for the past 5 years. There are even supposed quotes from the council praising the work they’ve done. Only they haven’t, because we’ve been doing it since 2012! They are not the previous contractor either so it’s not just out of date information.

I know they did some work in 2013, and I also know the work they did wasn’t to a great standard and there was arguments about even paying them it was so bad.

So I’ll probably approach the Council about it and I’m sure they’ll have something to say but what about us? Although there’s no harm to our business in the face of it I am a bit annoyed that this lot are selling themselves by way of self congratulation for Work we’ve been doing for five years.

Any advice?

It's not directly about you, so you can't complain on those grounds - but a website is advertising, and so if it isn't true, it's still false advertising. You're right to approach the council, and you can always also go to Trading Standards as well. The Advertising Standards Authority are unlikely to get involved with a small business, they'd probably refer it back to Trading Standards.

Of course if you are in any way mistaken they can sue you for damages to their reputation.

Seek proper legal advice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.