compensation and the law

marco

hi, looking for any advice on the above if anyone can help here goes-

my lad bought a motorbike on ebay one of these chinese things after he had paid for it there wasn't much cash in the pot left so he insured it third party only (not theft) with the intention of upgrading the insurance later when he had a bit more cash,anyway the bike got pinched and about 3 weeks ago the police phoned to say they had recovered the bike and had made an arrest,i collected the bike from the recovery garage which cost £150.00 only to find that it had been stripped of all components etc other damage included two buckled wheels so basicaly it was a total loss and has now been taken off the road,on friday a letter arrived from the police saying that the lad who stole it has been charged and will be in youth court on the 4th of august along with the letter was a compensation claim form,i have claimed the full bike costs of £750.00 pluss the recovery fee of £150.00 £900.00 in total,now this is my question if the compensation is awarded which it should how is it payed ? in full by the court who then claims it off the person found guilty or would it be paid by him at £5a month??

The offender nearly always pays weekly unless they can pay the amount in full which sounds unlikely. He'll probably have to pay the minimum of £5 per week. I'm not sure what the limits are in youth courts. There is probably a maximum level of compensation. I'd be surprised if you got all that you have claimed for too.

I don't know how victims receive payment but I'd imagine it would be in full.

Having spent a lot of time in magistrates court over the past couple of months I can tell you that most people pay fines/costs/compo as a weekly deduction from their benefits. So in effect they aren't paying anything they have earned. It's a bit of a flawed system really.

masterwig said:
The offender nearly always pays weekly unless they can pay the amount in full which sounds unlikely. He'll probably have to pay the minimum of £5 per week. I'm not sure what the limits are in youth courts. There is probably a maximum level of compensation. I'd be surprised if you got all that you have claimed for too.

I don't know how victims receive payment but I'd imagine it would be in full.

Having spent a lot of time in magistrates court over the past couple of months I can tell you that most people pay fines/costs/compo as a weekly deduction from their benefits. So in effect they aren't paying anything they have earned. It's a bit of a flawed system really.
thanks for that masterwig i'll let you know what happens ater court

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.