David James

Blue5964

Ex-England goalkeeper David James came out of retirement at the age of 53 to score the winning goal for a title-chasing Sunday League side.

James, who made 572 Premier League appearances, played a one-off game for AFC Hutwood and scored a 25-yard free-kick to give them a 2-1 victory.

He pulled on his shorts as a gesture of goodwill after the Sunday league side filled a donation box with boots.

"I kept asking the manager to take me off," James told BBC Radio Solent.

"Fortunately he didn't as we got a free-kick which I smashed goal bound. It hit the post, then hit the goalkeeper and went in."

The former Liverpool, Manchester City and Portsmouth stopper played the first half in goal and then in the outfield after the break in the City of Southampton Sunday FL Division One game against Madeinheath United.

He never scored in his professional career which spanned more than 25 years.

James is an ambassador for energy company Utilita's Football Rebooted initiative and was only too happy to help when Hutwood asked on social media if he was interested in getting some game time.

The campaign aims to provide football boots for those who cannot afford them.

"The idea of the campaign is to keep boots in the community," James added.

"We want people to have them that want to take part in football but maybe can't afford them. The aim is for anyone to be able to play, not matter who you are."

Bookies wouldn't be paying out on a David James goal as it would be deemed as an own goal but every credit to the charity and what it involved. The infamous last game of the season when we needed to win to get in the uefa cup and James went up front for us v the Boro was the day my son was born, after being at the match and " racing back " to the hospital to be at the birth a very mischievous midwife said to me as I cradled our newborn " You're not gonna call him Robbie then " !!!!

Probably the most balanced, coherent and professional tv commentator.

Lost his life savings gambling !!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.