Deep House

first things first, if you don't feel what your playing, the dancefloor won't.
second thing, jackin chicago house is a style of deep house, so you are half way there already
third thing, I have one 1210 and pioneer djm600 for sale, wanta buy? :)

good luck. playing in clubs is the dogs bollocks (as long as you don't turn up with a box drum'n'bass at a techno night...). thing about deep house is how deep do you want to go? It gets pretty minimal and spacey at it's deepest but you would be nuts to play that in a club except the first hour when no **** is in. Also watch how many vocal you play, generally a deep house night is pretty dubby, too many keri chandler vocals and you might get the hook for trying to turn the gaff into new york garage. I really could go on and on about this :)

True_Blue69 said:
ono said:
True_Blue69 said:
Why would you want to play it if you're not really into it? Surely that defeats the object of being a DJ playing the tunes you love and seeing everyone getting the same buzz you are off the tunes you're playing? Not sure how much of a serious night it is but if the regulars are proper deep house fans they will know soon enough you're not properly into it. I'd stick with what you like and wait for an opportunity to play at a night which is our style of music. When I was starting out I used to do at least 2 free gigs a week and play at places like Selfridges for a tenner an hour just to get out there and hope someone would see me. Where else do you play?
It's not that i'm not into it, it's just that i wanted a few track id's really, just so i can throw a mix together and see what i think. See how much i enjoy it. I've listened to more than enough deep house mixes and i've spent enough time in places like Distrikt listening to it to know that i enjoy it, but none of the mixes come with track id's.

I just think it's good opportunity, and it's sort of come out of nowhere really. I've never really played anywhere worth mentioning before. I've done a lot of studio mixes, so i think this would be good experience, which will probably serve me well for if and when something new does come out. And, it's not like i can't in the end say 'thanks but no thanks' if i don't take it to like i have with other forms of house music.

Points taken though,

-- Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:41 pm --

ell said:
Get us into VIP when im next in leeds ! ;)
There's no VIP in Distrikt. Haha. I can get you a good spot on the dance floor though.

-- Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:42 pm --

stonerblue said:
what the fuck is 'jackin house' when it's at home?
[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/jonneh5985/xmas-jackin-house-mix[/soundcloud]

Go easy on me, you might not like it. That's my latest mix, mixture of Jackin and Electro House/Electroline.

Mate, if its your first residency go for it regardless of what your music preference is, but Id say try and mix a bit if what youre into with the deep house stuff. That mix youve done is quality, was that done on vinyl/cdj/or software? My advice from someone who has been where you are now would be to try and get your own night going. I ran a night in town for 5 years with 4 mates in a venue with a 250 capacity. It wasnt hard to attract 100-150 mates between the 5 of us and other promoters that knew us from clubbing in their venues soon became aware of it as the night got a decent following. Its probably even harder to break into it now but the best advice I can give is to get your face recognised in the clubs you feel your music would suit, get friendly with the promoter/resident DJs and give them mix CDs etc. I dont envy you as Ive seen how hard it is to get any work, as much as its about skill and talent its about your face fitting and being in the right place at the right time. Good luck!
That mix was done using Ableton Live.

Yeah i'm going round to another mate's tomorrow to sort something out with him, about having a jackin'/electro house night, which suits me down to the ground.

Quite a few of my mates are dj's and they've played at Habit, and stinky's Peephouse in Leeds, aswell as the odd residency at a few lower profile places, so i shouldn't have much trouble getting opportunities in the future.

Thanks for the advice mate.<br /><br />-- Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:02 pm --<br /><br />
hirop said:
first things first, if you don't feel what your playing, the dancefloor won't.
second thing, jackin chicago house is a style of deep house, so you are half way there already
third thing, I have one 1210 and pioneer djm600 for sale, wanta buy? :)

good luck. playing in clubs is the dogs bollocks (as long as you don't turn up with a box drum'n'bass at a techno night...). thing about deep house is how deep do you want to go? It gets pretty minimal and spacey at it's deepest but you would be nuts to play that in a club except the first hour when no **** is in. Also watch how many vocal you play, generally a deep house night is pretty dubby, too many keri chandler vocals and you might get the hook for trying to turn the gaff into new york garage. I really could go on and on about this :)
Haha it's Uk Jackin' house, so it's not quite the same as Chicago House. It's taking off quite big in Leeds. Hectik is probably the biggest night. Think they have a Hectik every month in Manchester actually.

Haha, you're advice is much appreciated mate. The guy who runs the night doesn't like vocal house very much. He's already warned me. Haha.

Ono said:
Haha, you're advice is much appreciated mate. The guy who runs the night doesn't like vocal house very much. He's already warned me. Haha.

It's a fine line between single word\sentance\vocal sample type lyric, which is generally deemed ok, subtle vocals over really deep grooves (just about ok) and Joey Negro discotastic floor stormers (which you might get away with 1, but nowhere near a warmup). The flipside of the coin, is you go too far the other way and it up in some progressive house marathon, tracks the last 12 minutes where you need a sonic microscope to pick up the changes.

Having said all that, it's been a long(ish) time since I was a complete degenerate, so my advice could be completely dated. I know one thing though, if real e is back on the scene as reported then real house music will not be far behind it.

my mates have got a residency there now they go by the name of in:vision been there a cppl of times to see them a smart little venue

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.