Did “player power” begin at City?

Remember the Saunders sacking. Obviously in the days prior to mobiles and blanket coverage of football. We were playing The scouse cult on Good Friday (mid April). I was at the game and am convinced nothing had been announced before kick-off (maybe wrong)? Word spread pretty rapidly in the crowd before and during the game he had gone. Can't remember who stood in for Saunders either, possibly Tony Book?

Think it was Johnny Haynes as my FOC memory recalls, played for Fulham
Correct
Remember the Saunders sacking. Obviously in the days prior to mobiles and blanket coverage of football. We were playing The scouse cult on Good Friday (mid April). I was at the game and am convinced nothing had been announced before kick-off (maybe wrong)? Word spread pretty rapidly in the crowd before and during the game he had gone. Can't remember who stood in for Saunders either, possibly Tony Book?
Tomy Book managed City v Liverpool.

Credit where it's due, though. That Villa side were fabulous in the early 80s. Withe, Shaw, Mortimer, McNaught, Morley etc. It's a little known fact, but they actually won the old European Cup back in 1982. It's not something their fans like to talk about, though.
Tony Barton had taken over from Ron Saunders by the time of the final v Bayern Munich. Saunders was no longer the Villa manager by the time they won the big one. In fact, Barton was in charge by the time of the QFs of that season's competition. Villa then went on to beat Barcelona in the Super Cup Final.

Last edited:
Meredith was certainly an enormous influence. Lots to say on him. One of my pet subjects and I’ve interviewed both his daughter (who was almost 100 at the time) and his grandson (whose dad was also a City player). Both of them pointed out that Harding’s biography of Meredith was incorrect in many areas, particularly in his relationship with City. Lots on Meredith (and more to come) on my website. For example:

With Saunders and player power… Swales blamed the players of course but ultimately it was his decision (He asked Joe Smith for his input of course). Swales admitted to me that it being Easter was a factor as he knew there’d be less newspaper coverage of the sacking than at another time.

I‘ve interviewed several about Saunders, including Swales, and it is clear from some of the players that his treatment of some of them, particularly the bigger stars, was poor. One player told me that he witnessed Saunders deliberately stand on Denis Law’s hair when Law was on the ground. For what reason? ‘To show him who was the boss’.

Swales comments are available to subscribers on my site:

Despite the criticism from many players I’ve also had others tell me positive stuff about Saunders, including Frank Carrodus and Steve Fleet (both interviews are available to subscribers on my website www.GJFootballArchive.com ).

Saunders was a complex character at times and it depended on ‘your own‘ position at City at the time as to what ‘you‘ think of him. He often gets a bad press but then there are many positives about him too. Ego often comes into it at a football club.
Who was the other City player Gary? Presumably Meredith’s son or nephew?

Who was the other City player Gary? Presumably Meredith’s son or nephew?
Charlie Pringle, married Meredith’s daughter (but not the daughter I interviewed). Basically, the book claimed that Meredith had an enduring quarrel with City but that wasn’t true. His enduring quarrel was with United who he claimed, right up until his death, had never paid him the full amount of his benefit game (which had been v City in 1912).

Meredith went to every City FA Cup final during his life. He died in April 1958. Harding, who wrote his biography, was a United fan I was told,though he also wrote a biography of Arsenal’s Alex James.

Tony Barton had taken over from Ron Saunders by the time of the final v Bayern Munich. Saunders was no longer the Villa manager by the time they won the big one. In fact, Barton was in charge by the time of the QFs of that season's competition. Villa then went on to beat Barcelona in the Super Cup Final.
I stand corrected. Seems he left Villa in February of that season, due to a disagreement with the board about his contract. It's safe to assume his fingerprints were on that side.

Charlie Pringle, married Meredith’s daughter (but not the daughter I interviewed). Basically, the book claimed that Meredith had an enduring quarrel with City but that wasn’t true. His enduring quarrel was with United who he claimed, right up until his death, had never paid him the full amount of his benefit game (which had been v City in 1912).

Meredith went to every City FA Cup final during his life. He died in April 1958. Harding, who wrote his biography, was a United fan I was told,though he also wrote a biography of Arsenal’s Alex James.
Thanks Gary
Not like them lot to lie and make everything about themselves…
PS you need to follow me back on Twitter (same username)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.