Did Rodney Marsh Cost City the League Championship in 1972?

THFC6061

As a lad, I was a huge fan of Rodney Marsh and it almost broke my heart when he signed for Manchester City in March 1972 instead of my beloved Spurs.

At the time, City were leading the First Division by four points but by the end of the 1971-72 season they had slipped to fourth place.

Much of the blame for this has been placed on City being unable to adapt to Marsh but is this really fair criticism?

What are City's fans view of this?

I wasn't born until 1982, but my Dad has always said that Wynn Davies fitted into the side well and when Marsh came in the way City played changed. Davies was dumped, Marsh automatically put in and when he had the ball he stopped out free flowing style of play and slowed it down so all the world could see him doing some sort of skillful play then doing something for the team. Whereas my uncle loved Marsh.

I remember on one of those ITV look back programs, someone like Franny Lee (I am sure it was him) was talking about this season and said that he cost us the title that season. When he joined he was meant to be massively out of shape!

No he didn't pick the side, but the biggest cock up was dropping Wynn, he was terrorising defences at that time a really underrated player.Rodney should have been left out and presented at the end of the season it changed the style of play to the extent of Rodney carrying the ball from deep whereas Wynn could carry and be hit long, anyone see the game at west ham when Wynn caused them all sorts of problems which was televised.

THFC6061 said:
As a lad, I was a huge fan of Rodney Marsh and it almost broke my heart when he signed for Manchester City in March 1972 instead of my beloved Spurs.

At the time, City were leading the First Division by four points but by the end of the 1971-72 season they had slipped to fourth place.

Much of the blame for this has been placed on City being unable to adapt to Marsh but is this really fair criticism?

What are City's fans view of this?

Yes in my opinion he was not a player we really needed.He came in at the expense of Tony Towers,a midfielder,who at that point of his carrer was at the top of his game.
We moved the ball about very quickly,but the format and quickness disappeared and it undoutably had a adverse affect on the team.
I remember Colin Bell would sooner have kicked it into touch than pass it to Marsh.
Don` get me wrong,Marsh was a very gifted player and scored some wonderful goals at City,but when the going got tough,he would hide.
That assessment is based on what I saw,in both home and away games and for what its worth,I firmly believe that City would have won the League,had Marsh not been signed.
No doubt my comments will be like feeding time at the zoo,from the other Blues fans and I expect to get slagged.Good job I`ve got broad shoulders !!<br /><br />-- Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:46 pm --<br /><br />
mancunial said:
No he didn't pick the side, but the biggest cock up was dropping Wynn, he was terrorising defences at that time a really underrated player.

Also Tony Towers was another player who waas dropped to accomodate Marsh and this weakened the midfield area.

Not enough time to gel a new player into a team that was playing well...dropping wynn davies cost them the title, although City did beat the champs Derby at home with Rodney in the side, it was too little too late....He also copped the blame for the 1974 League Cup Final loss to Wolves for his defensive back flick that landed nicely for John Richards to smack home...Rodney did not go up to collect his medal that day if I remember right.

I was at RM's debut think I was 12yrs old....he had joined us from QPR who were in Div 2 at the time I could tell even then that he was a skilful but he didn't look match fit...think it was against Brum City I can remember him nutmegging someone for fun but got took off before the end because he had cramp.

I remember him scoring some great goals one against West Ham where he played keppy uppy swivelled and smashed it into the bottom corner from the edge of the box....a real crowd pleaser but he took Wyn Davies's position and he had been on fire and slotted into the forward line before Marsh came.
So in answer to the OP in my opinion RM changed the balance of the 1972 team but it could have happened any case.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.