Digital SLR

cbeebies is poo

I am thinking in the New Year or maybe just after xmas there may be a few deals on??

I like taking photos and i know that being on here last year or two there has been many people showing their talents and showing appreciation for photography.

Now then unfortunately I am not a lottery winner so don’t have a few grand spare.. Just thinking of starting out get a bundle package maybe???
Any advice on good bundles about or camera that some of you have used.. Would like to keep it under £400-£500

I personally avoid the SLR camera's that come with Len's (Kit Lens) but if you starting out for the first time you might be ok, but bear in mind a lens can cost anywhere from £100 - £x000's.

You will pay a lot of money for the glass (Lens) and tbh you want the best piece of glass you can afford.

The 7D I rate highly from Canon but a bit out of your price range and again the 60D is a cracking camera, both support HD video. I'm personally a Canon person but you'll find many Nikon people around.

Have a look a Jessops and fine a camera you like then take to the internet for a better price, but make sure you buy from the UK and not the USA, Hong Kong, etc as the guarantee may not be valid if its an imported piece of kit.

If you not after HD video then maybe look at the Canon 500D or 550D. Somebody may also be able to give you an idea about Nikon’s cameras but I have never used one so can’t really comment.

Not sure if this helps but hope so.

Mark.

cbeebies is poo said:
I am thinking in the New Year or maybe just after xmas there may be a few deals on??

I like taking photos and i know that being on here last year or two there has been many people showing their talents and showing appreciation for photography.

Now then unfortunately I am not a lottery winner so don’t have a few grand spare.. Just thinking of starting out get a bundle package maybe???
Any advice on good bundles about or camera that some of you have used.. Would like to keep it under £400-£500
Do you desperately want an SLR? For that sort of money you can get a top-notch compact system or super-zoom camera.

oldhamuk said:
I personally avoid the SLR camera's that come with Len's (Kit Lens) but if you starting out for the first time you might be ok, but bear in mind a lens can cost anywhere from £100 - £x000's.

You will pay a lot of money for the glass (Lens) and tbh you want the best piece of glass you can afford.

The 7D I rate highly from Canon but a bit out of your price range and again the 60D is a cracking camera, both support HD video. I'm personally a Canon person but you'll find many Nikon people around.

Have a look a Jessops and fine a camera you like then take to the internet for a better price, but make sure you buy from the UK and not the USA, Hong Kong, etc as the guarantee may not be valid if its an imported piece of kit.

If you not after HD video then maybe look at the Canon 500D or 550D. Somebody may also be able to give you an idea about Nikon’s cameras but I have never used one so can’t really comment.

Not sure if this helps but hope so.

Mark.

cheers my mate has a Cannon 500d and this is what has dragged me in... The picture quality is ace.... To the untrained eye.

I would agree with Prestwich_Blue, do you really need an SLR. They are not designed as a point and shoot type of camera and there are some really good compacts out there now.

I've got the Panasonic Lumix FZ45 which is what they call a bridge camera, kinda like inbetween a compact and a DSLR.

It's really good!

What do you want it for - anything in mind or do you just want one and take it from there?

What experience have you got?

Will you have any more cash available sometime next year - you'll probably need it when you find your favourite subject - just hope it's landscapes rather than wildlife - you can get relatively cheap wide angle lenses but not many cheap 800mm ones knocking about. If you don't think you'll have anything you may find that the lens you get with the camera limits you somewhat. A compact may be better?

Seriously consider sticking with Nikon or Canon - it's doesn't matter if other brands are better value for money its the fact that lenses, spares and accessories are far more common on places like Ebay.

Anything else you can tell us?

I would recommend Canon any day and I'd also say consider the 2nd hand market as you can get a much better camera for your money if you are not precious about it being brand new.

That Fuji Finepix S9500 is a great camera but to be fair it is not an SLR. It is a bridge camera and you cannot change lenses. I have one though and for that price being asked it's good value.

I'd also agree with other posters that there are some great compacts that offer lots of manual settings. Okay if you are really after an SLR and all that comes with it then these won't be for you but if you are not sure you really need an SLR then have a look at the Canon S95 and Canon SX220 or similar models.

Electric Blue said:
Work bought me a Finepix S9500 SLR two years ago cost £600 with leather case.

I have use it about three times due to a change of job within the company

pm me if you would like a look at it -you can have it for £90 to a blue-would not rip you off pal the pic quality is exceptional especialy for macro close ups and detailed images- its virtually unused.

Got to be worth considering - 28mm wide angle for landscapes (usually) and a reasonable telephoto at 300mm - good for sports and wildlife - zoos and garden birds more best you can hope for really.

If you find that you get into it you'll get £50 anyday of the week for it on Ebay next year - that's £40 loss which isn't bad. Buy a £500 camera this year and it'll be worth £250 before you've drained the battery. £40 or £250 - up to you.

Kit is always being traded, so if you are looking to find your feet you may want to consider going 2nd hand, finding the best DSLR/lens combo that you can find for your budget. Take my word for it, whilst you never stop learning the 1st couple of years are the steepest and you will learn not just in terms of technique, but what sort of photographs you like taking. It is only then that you will understand what camera/lens kit you need!

Whatever you buy, it is highly likely that you will outgrow it in a couple of years and be looking to upgrade, which is one of the main reasons the 2nd hand market is so strong - especially this time of year.

If you do go down this route I'm sure there will be plenty of BM-ers happy to advise on whether something is a good deal or not!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.