Discontent that will end the Tory Govt is coming

Due to the absolute lack of action thanks to the deteriorating situation and the Tory navel gazing I am torn - the summer is full of strikes that will only het worse however I suspect an autumn of discontent when all this hits UK households
The country is rotting whilst they have a fucking leadership race.
Turn the lights out

So the programme Tonight which is on now are covering the polluted rivers, the other week it was the state of the NHS and people being left in ambulances waiting to be seen by a doctor, raw sewage being dumped into our seas, people starting to strike for better living standards, police understaffed more young people being murdered on the streets, this country is Fucked beyond anything we have ever seen.

True its been 12 years of failure under the tories. This country is unrecognisable from 2010

To be honest, it wasn't that great in 2010 either, but people often look back to when they were younger and remember the good things, not the bad. We have just come out of a pandemic & straight into a European war now, which wasn't the situation in 2010. Just trying to put things into perspective.

But where we have messed up (and this tory leadership farce isn't helping) is that back in February the government should have started emergency procedures to prepare for Winter 22/23. Something like the Manhatten project (1942-45) or Apollo in the 60's. Get fracking all the gas we can, get out all the gas under the North sea that we can - open coal mines too.* Put green issues on hold until the whole world accepts it needs to act together. We could have at least tried to get self-sufficient in energy by the end of this year (even if we didn't achieve it) & maybe even run a surplus to sell to France and Germany. Then we could have kept the costs right down, none of this £4000 energy bills for families, this winter.

It is absolutely bonkers that Germany buys energy off Russia (and us too in smaller quantities) the funds which they then use to run a war against Ukriane, we then send arms to Ukraine to help them fight back, Bonkers!

*Can someone explain to me how in the 2020s with all the ICT we have now it takes ten years to build a Nuclear Power station, (& probably by the French or Chinese!) yet Britain built its first ones in the late 40s in like 3-4 years!?

To be honest, it wasn't that great in 2010 either, but people often look back to when they were younger and remember the good things, not the bad. We have just come out of a pandemic & straight into a European war now, which wasn't the situation in 2010. Just trying to put things into perspective.

But where we have messed up (and this tory leadership farce isn't helping) is that back in February the government should have started emergency procedures to prepare for Winter 22/23. Something like the Manhatten project (1942-45) or Apollo in the 60's. Get fracking all the gas we can, get out all the gas under the North sea that we can - open coal mines too.* Put green issues on hold until the whole world accepts it needs to act together. We could have at least tried to get self-sufficient in energy by the end of this year (even if we didn't achieve it) & maybe even run a surplus to sell to France and Germany. Then we could have kept the costs right down, none of this £4000 energy bills for families, this winter.

It is absolutely bonkers that Germany buys energy off Russia (and us too in smaller quantities) the funds which they then use to run a war against Ukriane, we then send arms to Ukraine to help them fight back, Bonkers!

*Can someone explain to me how in the 2020s with all the ICT we have now it takes ten years to build a Nuclear Power station, (& probably by the French or Chinese!) yet Britain built its first ones in the late 40s in like 3-4 years!?

Can't reopen the mines - Thatchers last vengeful act after beating the miners was to close the NCB and ensure there was no further maintenance of the pits - it would be suicidal to try and re-enter flooded pits and galleries that are unstable and collapsing having been left for decades.

As for nuclear power stations - the ones we built in the late 40's were far less powerful and less complicated to what we need now. The reason its not "us" thats building them is simple. Tories. For most of the time between the late 40's and 1979 the country was not a wealthy place - then Tories and privatisation. The purpose of privatisation is NOT to serve customers and the country's best interests its about skimming all the profits off into private hands. The levels of cash needed to build a new power station would have near wiped out those profits so it never got done by UK companies.

Can't reopen the mines - Thatchers last vengeful act after beating the miners was to close the NCB and ensure there was no further maintenance of the pits - it would be suicidal to try and re-enter flooded pits and galleries that are unstable and collapsing having been left for decades.

As for nuclear power stations - the ones we built in the late 40's were far less powerful and less complicated to what we need now. The reason its not "us" thats building them is simple. Tories. For most of the time between the late 40's and 1979 the country was not a wealthy place - then Tories and privatisation. The purpose of privatisation is NOT to serve customers and the country's best interests its about skimming all the profits off into private hands. The levels of cash needed to build a new power station would have near wiped out those profits so it never got done by UK companies.

Oh, Ok - I didn't know much of that - well any, if I'm honest.

On the coal mining thing: I suppose using the adage, where there's a will there's a way it could be sorted with a massive effort and investment, but the problem is, who would work down a coal mine these days? - we are just so used to working in offices, in shops or from home.

I was just trying to work out when things were last good and there was a general positive buzz around the UK. By my reckoning probably about 1999-2001 when the Blair govt had managed to have a positive impact and prior to 9/11 and Iraq/Afghanistan.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.