Discuss Pellegrini...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damocles said:
We expected to challenge for the league this year, win a trophy somewhere and get out of the groups in the CL. This is what we have done and is a solid foundation to build from for next year.

Lost in a sea of entitled recrimination that sentiment is.

Damocles said:
I don't see why a manager not fancying certain players has suddenly become a major stab at Pellegrini.

Pep Guardiola couldn't work with Yaya Toure properly in his system so sold him. This is not a slight on Yaya, it's just that he didn't fit Pep's vision. This is not a slight on Pep either.

Mourinho just sold Juan Mata, a tremendously gifted player, because he didn't fit the system that he wanted to play for the style of football. This isn't a slight on Mata as a player nor Mourinho as a manager.

And I'm not sure that using Alex Ferguson, commonly considered to be the greatest football manager of all time, as a benchmark for other people is either realistic or fair.

I'd also like to point out that this season we have had a trip to Wembley and lifted the League Cup, winning one of only three domestic competitions available, and we have done this in a new manager's first season at the club. I don't often use the "spoilt" description of City fans but the idea that we should sack a manager in his first season for "only winning the League Cup" looks uncomfortably close to that description for me.

Patience has its rewards and Pellegrini will benefit highly from working with all of our players every single day now for a full year to know where he stands in the summer transfer window in terms of people in and out. You cannot make those types of judgements in the short time he had with them before the summer window shut earlier this season. We expected to challenge for the league this year, win a trophy somewhere and get out of the groups in the CL. This is what we have done and is a solid foundation to build from for next year.

And on those welcome words of good sense and perspective I'll bid you goodnight.

BobKowalski said:
BillyShears said:
chris85mcfc said:
It always seems to be a battle between Mancini and Pellegrini on here

What if neither are good enough for us

Pellegrini's had one serious transfer window and less than 10 months. Mancini had 3 and a half years. The fact you ask that question is just a bit naive mate. What happens next will define Pellegrini. He's done a fantastic job with someone else's players this season.

Oh God we have entered David Moyes territory "seriously I have done the best I could with this lot..yeah I know they were Champs last year but honestly I need my own players"

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't one of the arguments for dispensing with he who should not be named was not having to spunk gazillions in replacing those players who wanted out? Instead we spent a £100m on improving a squad that finished first and second in the last two seasons to end up with what is starting to look like...third place. And then we may spend said gazillions in replacing the squad anyway as you seemed to imply earlier.

Anyway enough of that. Several thoughts...I said after the Liverpool match that I was concerned that heads seemed to drop after that third goal went in and how this would impact us. It seems it impacted us more than I realised.

We look tired and flat. When we were all jolly excited about how intense pre season was and how it was a million times better than under he who should not be named and when I asked what exactly the benefit of that was I was told wait and see and all sort of goodies would be revealed. Well I ain't liking the goodies. Its a long campaign not a sprint and all that jazz.

Control. I have a fetish for controlling games and not expending unnecessary energy chasing balls/opposition players etc . Over a league campaign I think it keeps you fresher longer. I still think we no longer control games like we used to and I like control.

Mentality. If control is a fetish for me this is an unhealthy obsession. We are not closing out the big games. That has been discussed. But after Liverpool we had to keep the pressure on and like in 2012 we had 6 games and all are must win. Tonight mentally we blew it. Tonight said that we no longer believed we should or can be Champions. That disappoints me.

But all is not entirely lost. 2012 taught us that much. We now have 5 games and all have to be won and won convincingly. We need to build momentum and belief. Pellers has to instill momentum and belief. Winning 5 games may not win the title but management and players owe us their absolute best and need to win those 5 games.

I agree but alas on the last point I have a strong sense we will won't meet that objective Bob and in itself its a strong objective to strive for no matter the outcome.

Whether its World Cup or whether its more a mindset and lack of real leadership required when the heat is on I am not sure.

Maybe that the heat is now finally off the players will switch on again but it could go the other way just as easily.

Spain , Argentina, Brazil , Belgium as opposed to England and Uruguay hmmm let me count the ways.

Some have a chance , some have none etc.

A bit of both with more emphasis on the latter perhaps.

8 points from those games as opposed to 15 is more likely , hopefully after tonights showing the players get a kick up the kyper that really stings long enough to get much closer to your target than what is required to limp into third spot.

Damocles said:
I don't see why a manager not fancying certain players has suddenly become a major stab at Pellegrini.

Pep Guardiola couldn't work with Yaya Toure properly in his system so sold him. This is not a slight on Yaya, it's just that he didn't fit Pep's vision. This is not a slight on Pep either.

Mourinho just sold Juan Mata, a tremendously gifted player, because he didn't fit the system that he wanted to play for the style of football. This isn't a slight on Mata as a player nor Mourinho as a manager.

And I'm not sure that using Alex Ferguson, commonly considered to be the greatest football manager of all time, as a benchmark for other people is either realistic or fair.

I'd also like to point out that this season we have had a trip to Wembley and lifted the League Cup, winning one of only three domestic competitions available, and we have done this in a new manager's first season at the club. I don't often use the "spoilt" description of City fans but the idea that we should sack a manager in his first season for "only winning the League Cup" looks uncomfortably close to that description for me.

Patience has its rewards and Pellegrini will benefit highly from working with all of our players every single day now for a full year to know where he stands in the summer transfer window in terms of people in and out. You cannot make those types of judgements in the short time he had with them before the summer window shut earlier this season. We expected to challenge for the league this year, win a trophy somewhere and get out of the groups in the CL. This is what we have done and is a solid foundation to build from for next year.

When you spend £100 million, you only deserve one year to make an impression. He won the League cup because of Toure and Nasri's wonder goals. It was a stupid cup to pursue anyway. Competing in the league cup caused us to do lose points in the League and perform bad in the Champions League. A proper manager would ignore the league cup all together and focus on the big three (League, CL, and Fa Cup).

-- £90m spent on improving a lavishly assembled squad
-- Rags in tailspin
-- Chelsea in a weaker state than we will see for some years
-- Arsenal and Tottenham as flaky as ever.

Almost a perfect storm.

And we are looking at a League Cup and a probable third place.

Damocles said:

I click the like button for this.

Champions league qualification, an admittedly wonky trophy, and some of the best football I've ever seen us play (and admittedly some of the worst) in the manager's first season. Heartbreaking finish, thanks for the roller coaster, you're welcome back for another year in my eyes and I'll probably get more grey hairs either way. If that qualifies me for a happy clapper t-shirt, somebody get me a size medium (crew neck if they have them, v-neck's make my chest hair pop out in a less-than-flattering way).

BillyShears said:
Damocles said:
We expected to challenge for the league this year, win a trophy somewhere and get out of the groups in the CL. This is what we have done and is a solid foundation to build from for next year.

Lost in a sea of entitled recrimination that sentiment is.

I back the manager, but if you're suggesting we've met our targets this year then, basically, we all know that's completely disingenuous.

GaudinoMotors said:
Damocles said:

What have I been taught? He doesn't like English players and he's a loser...

And on those welcome words of good sense and perspective I'll bid you goodnight.

Seeing as everyone else is at it, quotes from after we lost to Sunderland;

Kippaxstreetheadache said:
Fucking garbage. Not good enough. Really angry considering Mancini's sacking was largely political. We've bowed to played power, we have too many soft and entirely useless bastards devoid of a backbone with inflated egos. The whole premise of sacking Mancini was that he wasn't getting the best out of his squad, he was too harsh on the players, too autocratic. They needed a more genteel and affable manager with European pedigree. Well, we have that now, and we're fucking 8th in the league, and those usual suspects are still putting in gutless and shithouse performances away from home, albeit more frequently.

Kippaxstreetheadache said:
Mancini had identified who the cunts were, and given this summer, would've shipped them out.

Instead, Pellegrini has splashed the cash, and the cretins remain. We'll have a year of transition, with Pellegrini trying to get to grip with the cretins, and identify those who need disposing of.

If we'd had just backed Mancini in the first place, this wouldn't be causing us issues now. Fuck, if we'd backed him two summers ago it wouldn't be causing us problems now, and we'd probably have a couple more honours to our name too.

Mismanagement from top to bottom. It's blasphemous on here, but I'd go as far as saying Khaldoon has to look at himself.

Mancini was his man. He needed backing, or sacking if you're that way inclined, in 2012 after we'd won the title. Instead, Mancini was given a new contract as a token gesture, and given a tuppence towards securing our status and building on the title. We had a relatively difficult season, the manager being undermined by players, and eventually the boardroom, where eventually news broke that our new director of football had been meeting with the manager of another football club in public, in a high profile restaurant - in the build up to an FA Cup final no less.

Excuse me for being critical, but the problems, the miscalculations and mismanagement are afflicting us at boardroom also.

I appreciate the changes we're making, the much maligned 'holistic' approach, but is it being handled correctly? Is the director of football model right, for us?

I don't know the answers, and I'm extremely grateful that we're light years ahead of where we were once all accustomed to. I just wish that we didn't have such upheaval at a stage when we had the opportunity to really capitalise on our rivals weaknesses.

Yet again the shithouses in our dressing room have bottled it.

I really get the impression we have a few top players like Silva, Yaya, and Aguero and the rest are just peripheral figures who scuttle around the edges contributing occasionally, but can't rise to any sort of challenge or stern test of character.

Worst example example of this is Nasri, as much as I hate to single out individuals.

We need more young and hungry players with the talent, but something to prove. We need them to compliment the genuine top players in our squad.

No more highly paid journeymen and overpaid talented bottlers without the stomach for a fight.

While I've never enjoyed watching City play as often thrilling football as we've played this season, I struggle to feel much of an affinity with this group of players, am I alone, or is there something wrong with me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.