Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A barrel scraping excuse if ever I've heard one, what's on the pitch generates atmosphere, not the other way round.

Very easy to blame the fans, United have played in front of a library for decades- hasn't stopped them winning trophies.

Isn't the atmosphere at all the big clubs getting worse? I have seen lots of matches at Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and United and most often when the teams are struggling, you can hear a pin drop. Score a goal and off the crowd goes again. Of course, if you don't score, the crowd doesn't get going at all.

Maybe it's the shift from a social/community association where people went to get pissed, meet mates and just shout as loud as they could, to a business where people pay a lot of money to be entertained. Maybe it's a social shift where people more and more expect instant gratification. Whatever it is, I don't think it relates just to the Etihad ...

As for Palace, what was the atmosphere like when they were losing and playing shit?

chris85mcfc said:
citymad said:
For goodness sake surely intelligent people can agree that a poor atmosphere filled with groans can have a negative impact on how the players perform. Look at Palace can you imagine them doing as well if the atmosphere was like ours? Exactly. We're not fully to blame of course but it can play a small part in the result of the game.

Its been the same for years, the atmosphere has always been poor.

But it wasn't getting mentioned when we won our two league titles.

Pablo1 said:
The last couple of pages have certainly been interesting. We're now passing the buck to the fans who have sat and endured a season where for the most part the football has been turgid, team selections baffling and players not giving a fuck. We've gone out of two domestic cups to teams we should be beating every day of the week and whilst doing enough in the end to qualify for the last 16 of CL we were soundly beaten in what could have been a cricket score had our Keeper not had the game of his life.

I appreciate the atmosphere isn't rocking but it's a fucking stretch to think that professional footballers look around the Etihad on a match day and let the fact we're not bouncing up and down affect their performance in any way shape or form. If they're doing their jobs in the first place they shouldn't hear the crowd, it should just be background noise.

Anyway isn't there already half a dozen threads having a go at match goers?

That's just plain wrong.
Nobody's blaming fans (as far as I can tell).
It's been commented that we as fans have a part to play in trying to keep morale up... and when things are going wrong, we can, unfortunate add to the tension because we're frustrated. It's not fans 'fault', or that we are to 'blame' it's just saying that the crowd is a factor.

FanchesterCity said:
Pablo1 said:
The last couple of pages have certainly been interesting. We're now passing the buck to the fans who have sat and endured a season where for the most part the football has been turgid, team selections baffling and players not giving a fuck. We've gone out of two domestic cups to teams we should be beating every day of the week and whilst doing enough in the end to qualify for the last 16 of CL we were soundly beaten in what could have been a cricket score had our Keeper not had the game of his life.

I appreciate the atmosphere isn't rocking but it's a fucking stretch to think that professional footballers look around the Etihad on a match day and let the fact we're not bouncing up and down affect their performance in any way shape or form. If they're doing their jobs in the first place they shouldn't hear the crowd, it should just be background noise.

That's just plain wrong.
It's been commented that we as fans have a part to play in trying to keep morale up... and when things are going wrong, we can, unfortunate add to the tension because we're frustrated. It's not fans 'fault', or that we are to 'blame' it's just saying that the crowd is a factor.
No, saying its a factor is wrong. If we have players who let their performance on the pitch be affected by how much/little noise we generate then they shouldn't be on the pitch in the first place.

Mister Appointment said:
Thanks mate. It's a vicious circle for me. You turn up expecting to be entertained. Your not. Jump on a forum or Twitter and lay into the manager and a few players. There's a drip drip effect in terms of what mindset you take to the Match. The supporters may not directly impact certain aspects of a performance but they can influence the energy the team has positively.
Agree with that, but there's another issue on top for me.

We spent so many years not expecting to win (games, never mind trophies), so we just supported in hope, then all of a sudden, it all happened in a rush, winning nearly every week, wembley every season, trophies, and expectations just became too high,and we started turning up and waiting for the inevitable win.

Its not the fans fault though, we have to many weak minded players, and we need to get rid of them, and bring in fresh, hungry, committed players. It'll be a tough ask in one summer though.

halfcenturyup said:
Isn't the atmosphere at all the big clubs getting worse? I have seen lots of matches at Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and United and most often when the teams are struggling, you can hear a pin drop. Score a goal and off the crowd goes again. Of course, if you don't score, the crowd doesn't get going at all.

Maybe it's the shift from a social/community association where people went to get pissed, meet mates and just shout as loud as they could, to a business where people pay a lot of money to be entertained. Maybe it's a social shift where people more and more expect instant gratification. Whatever it is, I don't think it relates just to the Etihad ...

As for Palace, what was the atmosphere like when they were losing and playing shit?

It is getting worse at most places, especially the popular clubs where, realistically, the fan base is getting more and more middle class and family oriented. Not saying that's a good or a bad thing, but it changes the dynamics.
Some of the smaller clubs probably have more of a hard core fan base, and generate better atmosphere (when winning).

I think the whole debate's gotten out of hand, after someone mentioned 'the fans don't help'. I'm inclined to agree with that sentiment, regardless of any flak that might come with it. I don't think it's a criticism of City fans. Precisely the same can be said of Liverpool when they have a bad run, or United... the crowd get frustrated and it becomes part of the negative cycle. You can almost hear a collective sigh when Dzeko starts these days, and that's before a ball is kicked. A good manager will spot this, and play Bony.... not because he's any better, but because it helps instil a sense of 'trying something different'.

chris85mcfc said:
citymad said:
For goodness sake surely intelligent people can agree that a poor atmosphere filled with groans can have a negative impact on how the players perform. Look at Palace can you imagine them doing as well if the atmosphere was like ours? Exactly. We're not fully to blame of course but it can play a small part in the result of the game.

Its been the same for years, the atmosphere has always been poor.

But it wasn't getting mentioned when we won our two league titles.

Damanino said:
Hughes had 32 points of 18 games when he had to go. 1.77 points/game.

Since 1st of January we are after 12 games on 18 points. Thats 1.5 points per game.

Thats a joke with a lot stronger, settled squad that has the experience of two league titles and none of the shambles that was the Hughes team...(No Silva, Kun, Yaya back then yet...)

7 more games to go there is a good chance he wont even be able to reach Hughes' point/game ratio in around 20 games. We would need 16 points from 21 to make it 1.77points/game.

Too many things changed over the years for that to have any meaning today.

cleavers said:
Mister Appointment said:
Thanks mate. It's a vicious circle for me. You turn up expecting to be entertained. Your not. Jump on a forum or Twitter and lay into the manager and a few players. There's a drip drip effect in terms of what mindset you take to the Match. The supporters may not directly impact certain aspects of a performance but they can influence the energy the team has positively.
Agree with that, but there's another issue on top for me.

We spent so many years not expecting to win (games, never mind trophies), so we just supported in hope, then all of a sudden, it all happened in a rush, winning nearly every week, wembley every season, trophies, and expectations just became too high,and we started turning up and waiting for the inevitable win.

Its not the fans fault though, we have to many weak minded players, and we need to get rid of them, and bring in fresh, hungry, committed players. It'll be a tough ask in one summer though.
Your last paragraph nails it.

To be fair, it's way down the list this season, and as this is a Pellegrini thread, there are many more relevant issues to discuss. A little more passion from the bench during the match may get the fans going.

FanchesterCity said:
Pablo1 said:

That's just plain wrong.

Pablo1 said:
FanchesterCity said:
Pablo1 said:

That's just plain wrong.
No, saying its a factor is wrong. If we have players who let their performance on the pitch be affected by how much/little noise we generate then they shouldn't be on the pitch in the first place.

If that's the case... why support City? do you not think the support matters?
I can categorically tell you, having spoken to plenty of pro footballers, the crowd matters, be it cheering them on, or booing them. These are players with fantastic ability, but they are still human. They still get nervous in cup finals and they still feel their spine tingle in games with an electric atmosphere.

Read Aguero's biography, he speaks very clearly of the QPR moment... he could sense the tension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.