Discussion: Potential Pellegrini Replacements {merged}

• Thread starter Deleted member 58678
  • Start date
Re: klopp for city

malg said:
Zin 'messiah' Zimmer said:
bobbyowenquiff said:
I think he would be brilliant at City. Before they were cynically robbed of all their assets by the cheats of Bayern, Dortmund were fantastic. In fact their performance at our place was the best I have seen by a visiting team. He would be a legend for us and could bring Reus with him.

Cheers for clarifying that pal, I've never watched German football, I don't like the kits, however, klopp has immense hair and his glasses are boss... He must be good!!!
Christ.......how clueless are you............jeeeezzzzz!

Clarkie.

Huge pressure on Guardiola now. At Bayern they want CL improvement on last year. He took over a team that just won the treble. Last year in semifinal they got raped by Real.

They have to improve on that. But losing to Porto in quarter finals is everything but improvement for them.

Next Tuesday night could be very important for City too.

I have to wonder how Pep feels about us letting it be known we want him at all costs, on the morning of his CL Quarter Final.

sir baconface said:
I was going back further than the scousers' last few years and attempting to demonstrate why neither club felt they needed a DoF at the time.

Yes, the rags' post-Bacon shenanigans suggest one might have been useful but I repeat: could you see the old piss can wearing it?

Edit: this was in response to Damo's points.

As I say Charlton really WAS the DoF back when Ferguson was there - he just wasn't as hands-on as the modern ones are. He speaks in his book about Charlton doing the work on transfers and talking to agents and the like of. He just wasn't the decision maker in the process because Ferguson and him were both old school in how they did things and there was clearly defined power there.

If you give someone a 10 year deal then this type of relationship can work because squad building is under control of the manager.

We work in much shorter manager cycles though than they did then so managers aren't looking at building 5 years ahead, they're playing for the quarterly reports and the next round of the Cups. This short termism is combated by having somebody at the club whose job it is to look at the world of football, look at the Academy and then look at the first team squad and try to best predict where everything is going to be in 5 years and the best time to pick up or sell certain players to maximise their value to the business.

It's also worth noting that we do need someone to represent the footballing interests in meetings with other departments. We shouldn't be disrupting Pellegrini from a training session to ask him if they prefer the Ritz or the Travel Inn when they are going to Newcastle next week. Nor should we be bothering people concentrating on games with questions about the future design of the ice pools in the Academy or whether we need new grass surfacing on training pitch number 7.

There's a million and one things going on at a football club now because it's a modern global business with hundreds of employees spread across 10 offices rather than the more amateur setup of the past. Just having a clearly defined chain of command is useful.

The thing over here that many don't appreciate is that the DoF will help the manager by lightening their administrative load and letting them focus on the next match or whatever performance problems they are encountering. It's simplifies the management role into one only concerned with the footballing performance. The name rather than the position has a very strange reputation over here. Nobody was arguing that Brian Marwood's position shouldn't exist because he patronisingly called himself Football Administrator rather than Director of Football.

Personally I hated Marwood and thought that he was fucking useless. Much of the problems we have in age of the squad now are down to his lack of forward planning and I put much of our FFP problems down to him spunking out £10m contracts like they were going out of fashion then letting players go for next to nothing. Txiki got £25m for a striker with a broken foot who hadn't scored in 6 months. Marwood got £3.5m for Nigel De Jong who just dominated midfields in a title winning season. He can design a great Academy seemingly (though our form since moving there is worryingly bad) and he seemingly has good research and vision abilities but his negotiations and squad decisions were abysmal for the time.

@City_Watch

Times: Pep is the long-term target and Ancelotti in the frame despite some reservations about his style. Frank de Boer & Koeman also touted.

Klopp not even mentioned.

Its really clear now that there is a list of 3-4 coaches that Txiki is prepared to work with.
Everybody else has no chance no matter how great they are.

Paddy needs more experience IMO - the job is simply too big for him.

He would be the perfect no 2 if he was prepared to accept the role.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.