Do you judge a player on form or ability?

AdamManCity

I have been thinking about this for a while. For example I recently had an argument with someone who claimed that torres is world class. I said he hasn't been world class for 3 years now and he obviously gave me the form is temporary line and said he has shown signs of brilliance in spells over the last few years. I would personally say that torres is potentially world class because he hasn't lost anything from 3 years ago but I don't think a player can be dubbed world class after 3 seasons of poor performances by premier league standards. If this is the case then where do you draw the line? Someone like Silva has been off form for three months now, would you say he is currently not world class despite being the best player in the league technically.

And then there are players who move clubs and it just doesn't work out, would you judge them on what you know they can do or how they have done at their new clubs? Mario Gomez looked average in his first year or so at bayern and now he's one of the best strikers in the world, scoring more goals than games this season I think, should he have been judged on his first year at bayern or have been allowed the time to adapt first. I still honestly believe Dzeko is a world class target man, he is strong, good in the air, two footed and strong on each foot, very quick feet for a man of his size good touch(although he doesn't always show it) and isn't slow for his size(although not quick). I think because we don't play to his strengths he should be judged on his form for Bosnia and Wolfsburg as well as what he has shown he can do in spells for us. Ibrahimovic has been class for both Milan teams but he looked average at Barca because they didn't play to his strengths.

So, should a player be judged on form or ability?

The way I look at it is that to be world class, you have to fit in what I would class as my world XI. In other words, if you don't fit, you aint world class. Obviously that theory is open to opinion. As for Torres, 4 years ago, I would have labelled him world class without a doubt. Not anymore unfortunately although I would love to see him return to that level as he one of the greatest players to watch when on form.

Casillas

Dani Alves
Thiago Silva
Carles Puyol
Phillip Lahm

Xavi
Bastian Schweinsteiger
Andres Iniesta

Lionel Messi
Robin Van Persie
Cristiano Ronaldo

To me, those players are world class.

Players like Silva, Rooney, Benzema, Fabregas are absolutey brilliant players who would jump into most teams but there's still a slight distinction between the brilliant and the truely world class.

To many players these days are branded world class when they simply aren't....or at least IMO aren't.

sjk2008 said:
The way I look at it is that to be world class, you have to fit in what I would class as my world XI. In other words, if you don't fit, you aint world class. Obviously that theory is open to opinion. As for Torres, 4 years ago, I would have labelled him world class without a doubt. Not anymore unfortunately although I would love to see him return to that level as he one of the greatest players to watch when on form.

Casillas

Dani Alves
Thiago Silva
Carles Puyol
Phillip Lahm

Xavi
Bastian Schweinsteiger
Andres Iniesta

Lionel Messi
Robin Van Persie
Cristiano Ronaldo

Players like Silva, Rooney, Benzema, Fabregas are absolutey brilliant players who would jump into most teams but there's still a slight distinction between the brilliant and the truely world class.

To many players these days are branded world class when they simply aren't....or at least IMO aren't.
The problem with this is that you are comparing the players with those around them now and so it depends on the era you played in more than ability as to whether you are world class. I also think that Lahm is the only world class fullback around today and so you are forced to pick another player who isn't world class

sjk2008 said:

Casillas

Dani Alves
Thiago Silva
Carles Puyol
Phillip Lahm

Xavi
Bastian Schweinsteiger
Andres Iniesta

Lionel Messi
Robin Van Persie
Cristiano Ronaldo

picking the best player of all time not in his best position to make way for rvp, i see so many people doing this in fantasy elevens and it seeeeeeettthhhhhsss me

Blue>Red said:
sjk2008 said:

Casillas

Dani Alves
Thiago Silva
Carles Puyol
Phillip Lahm

Xavi
Bastian Schweinsteiger
Andres Iniesta

Lionel Messi
Robin Van Persie
Cristiano Ronaldo

picking the best player of all time not in his best position to make way for rvp, i see so many people doing this in fantasy elevens and it seeeeeeettthhhhhsss me

Presumably you mean Messi? He's equally good from the right as he is up top and he's played probably the same amount of games in each position.

You could probably narrow it down to who the best full back, centre back, holding midfielder, central midfielder, attacking midfielder, winger and striker is if you wanted to. It's all down to interpretation but for now I see RVP as a world class striker. I see Messi as a world class forward. There's a difference.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.