Do you play the Drums?

not my fault!

Team supported
God’s own
Ok just started to learn how to play (present from the other half at Christmas) and I'm now looking at Electronic drum sets.
The reason for the Electronic is due to space and more importantly noise! I cant have the street complaining so need something I can listen to via headphones. I dont have a huge budget (£500) but have seen three sets that fit the bill I think:
Roland HD-1 - small but cant be added to.
Yamaha DTXplorer - nice reviews but seems large.
Alesis DM6 - about somewhere in the middle of the two others and around £170 cheaper! But needs constant firmware updates I'm lead to believe?
Or if anyone who plays can suggest another option I'm open to ideas. Have looked on ebay etc for second hand ones but in honesty they seem to be selling for £100 less than new so I'd rather pay the extra and know I have a warrenty etc.
Cheers in advance.

I am a drummer and lucky enough to have very understanding/deaf neighbours, for advice with drum kits I would check out www.onlinedrummer.com and click on the community tab (top right).

As for the kits you have mentions I would stick with the Roland or Yamaha. Get down to a shop and give them a try see which you like best.

Good luck.

Why not get some practice pads?

My mate is a drummer and he says he just doesn't get any feeling from electronic drums. He uses these and they seemed pretty effective to me.

daveduke67 said:
Why not get some practice pads?

My mate is a drummer and he says he just doesn't get any feeling from electronic drums. He uses these and they seemed pretty effective to me.

I think I just like the idea/feel of sitting behind a set of drums.. That make sense? I want to feel I'm sat playing rather than just having a tap around on some pads.

farhie said:
I am a drummer and lucky enough to have very understanding/deaf neighbours, for advice with drum kits I would check out www.onlinedrummer.com and click on the community tab (top right).

As for the kits you have mentions I would stick with the Roland or Yamaha. Get down to a shop and give them a try see which you like best.

Good luck.

Thanks for that, you're a star. I play the guitar and have done for years but the drums are something I have always wanted to learn. I'm 33 nearly so have no intention of being in a band, but the idea of coming home and having a play or drumming along to the tunes I like excites me. Plus I have noticed it relaxes me when I'm stressed after work, so it can only be a good thing!

I play them, i use practise pads, on one side i have old but very very deaf neighbours so i'm good, on the otherside i normally go for it when they go out, headphones on and straight on.

hate electronic drums, awful.

my new double bass pedal came this week, just deadly.

i use roland vdrums. got them off ebay about £350. they are mostly pads but the snare is the new type of electronic drum which feels more like a drum skin and bounces the stick in a realistic manner. if all my toms were like this i would not miss my real drums. still, the snare is hard to replicate but at least im able to practice at any time. the cymbals are ok and are surprising with the accuracy of mimicking the real ones (like the bell of the ride, or half open hi hat).

the sound unit ('brain') is ok, has about 32 kits (the usual hip hop/dance, rock and percussion assortment) but you can tailor the response of the pads to suit your playing, so different samples sound at different velocities. it also has a training thing where it measures how accurate your playing is to a metronome. i love all this sort of stuff. the more you pay for the kit the better the 'brain' and better samples. plus its all midi so its easy to record and fix individual notes later.
ive had loads of roland stuff (modules, sequencers) and its always works well.

for live use i use real cymbals and put the roland drums through a marshall guitar combo for a backline/monitor which also takes the awful clean digital sound away(and so there is some noise near me, as would be the case with acoustic drums). i also put the roland drums through the pa so i get some bass from the bass drum and a better mix. i still think electronic drums look shit though and use them live because they are easy to fit in my car.

by the way if anyone knows a singer, who wants to do original stuff(rock) with 3 mid to late 30s blokes, let me know.

Freestyler said:
I play them, i use practise pads, on one side i have old but very very deaf neighbours so i'm good, on the otherside i normally go for it when they go out, headphones on and straight on.

hate electronic drums, awful.

my new double bass pedal came this week, just deadly.

Is there an 'old' one mate? If so can i buy it for my lad?

Not officially but when I see some I have to sit down and have a good play on them. I enjoy it but I think other people just want to kill me for the noise I generate.

not my fault! said:
Ok just started to learn how to play (present from the other half at Christmas) and I'm now looking at Electronic drum sets.
The reason for the Electronic is due to space and more importantly noise! I cant have the street complaining so need something I can listen to via headphones. I dont have a huge budget (£500) but have seen three sets that fit the bill I think:
Roland HD-1 - small but cant be added to.
Yamaha DTXplorer - nice reviews but seems large.
Alesis DM6 - about somewhere in the middle of the two others and around £170 cheaper! But needs constant firmware updates I'm lead to believe?
Or if anyone who plays can suggest another option I'm open to ideas. Have looked on ebay etc for second hand ones but in honesty they seem to be selling for £100 less than new so I'd rather pay the extra and know I have a warrenty etc.
Cheers in advance.
D-Drums are pretty good, a lot of pro's use them and there cheaper than roland and yamaha.
there made by Nord i think who make top keyboards.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/44053-ddrum-dd1-electronic-drum-kit.html/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/4 ... paign=base</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.