Does Pep need to be more pragmatic away from home in Europe?

Pep: "I know the way we play is perfect for Liverpool."

Also Pep: "No, I'm never changing my overall approach to a game."

So the only 2 ways I see us winning vs Liverpool is either they have a poor game, or they get a player sent off, or we get an offside goal incorrectly allowed etc. All depends on random luck rather than what we can do strategically it seems.
I think we needed to be a bit more direct. It seems to me Liverpool allow you to play it around a bit and edge closer with each pass then pounce. I just thought we needed to try longer balls through the middle. Maybe let Ederson launch a few long balls for Gabby to run onto. Short corners? What happened to them? I just think we were poor but Pep didn’t try to change it enough. You could have hooked any player at half time.

Before I start I want to state I am a Pep fan and think he's doing a great job for us, I hope he stays for as long as possible. However this is something that has been on my mind for a while. We have had what I'd consider 4 big away games (Barca, Monaco, Napoli and Liverpool) in Europe under pep and have conceded a staggering 12 goals in those games, an average of 3 goals per game.
At home we are a different animal and haven't lost a big European game at home under him.
We seem to have an approach which doesn't differ from at home and seems to be far too costly against good opposition when we travel away, do you think it would be of benefit to perhaps a slightly more cautious approach away in Europe?
Yes, There is following your ethos and own style and there is stubornness to the point of detriment. I see he wants us to bulldoze down this sticking point away in Europe but you do not have to be attack attack attack all game. Like others have said just soak up the Liverpool press for the first 30m. You do that then 90% of teams have a chance against them as they run out of steam, heads drop a bit. Meanwhile we are still fresh mentally and can start our game then with them questioning themselves.

Doing that imo does not contact Peps style at all.

Pep: "I know the way we play is perfect for Liverpool."

Also Pep: "No, I'm never changing my overall approach to a game."

So the only 2 ways I see us winning vs Liverpool is either they have a poor game, or they get a player sent off, or we get an offside goal incorrectly allowed etc. All depends on random luck rather than what we can do strategically it seems.

Or our players cut of silly mistakes and the officials do their jobs properly.

Yes, There is following your ethos and own style and there is stubornness to the point of detriment. I see he wants us to bulldoze down this sticking point away in Europe but you do not have to be attack attack attack all game. Like others have said just soak up the Liverpool press for the first 30m. You do that then 90% of teams have a chance against them as they run out of steam, heads drop a bit. Meanwhile we are still fresh mentally and can start our game then with them questioning themselves.

Doing that imo does not contact Peps style at all.
Precisely. Last season against Barcelona we did this perfectly and quite frankly murdered them.
Had we played a similar system last night I have no doubt we would not be 3 goals down, we might not have won but I thoroughly believe we'd have been in this tie

pep believes in the way he prepares the team ,he has said it time and time again he will not change ,his record speaks for itself , cut out stupid balls that leave us open to the counter attack and there's no problem.

I actually believe he was pragmatic( his version) last night and that was the problem, gunda for sterling.

I sound a bit different to last nights posts :)

Yesterday cried out for Laporte and DeBruyne long diagonal crosses over Liverpools press to our pacey wingers/lone striker. We were dumb not to try. Not sure if Pep will ever change his style but he needs to as other managers will copy Klopp and he's shown you don't need great players to do it!

Well until we can beat some of Europe's best at the high press through passing through their team and eradicating mistakes we will not win the champions league

Honestly I think it'll be 5-10 years before we win the champions league. The Silva, Kompany generation just can't get past that mental fragility. It'll take a new spine to the team.

I don't rate that as a huge criticism though, it takes a long time to build pedigree in that competition.

If we make the final 8 year after year that's something to be proud of.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.