Does Pep need to be more pragmatic away from home in Europe?

Peps tactics and style of play is utterly fantastic and has given us all so much joy this season with unprecedented success.

If sticking to it means we lose the odd and it is the odd game then so be it and no way should he or us change because of the odd result.

His style and tactics saw us thump them 5-0 at home and i see no reason why that cant be repeated next week and if it is then this thread will be rightfully redundant.
Spot on Daz, superbly put.

No. We made a feeble attempt at being pragmatic, which was neither one thing nor the other.

The discussion you were having was centred around Peps failure to change our style to be more pragmatic, whether it worked or was feeble or not wasn’t the point you were arguing with the other poster.

Peps tactics and style of play is utterly fantastic and has given us all so much joy this season with unprecedented success.

If sticking to it means we lose the odd and it is the odd game then so be it and no way should he or us change because of the odd result.

His style and tactics saw us thump them 5-0 at home and i see no reason why that cant be repeated next week and if it is then this thread will be rightfully redundant.

Not sure why he can't adjust to one or two knockout games where we can't afford to stick to his ways knowing that it won't work? Why does it have to be all or nothing?

Pep has literally said in public that he knows the way we play is perfect for Liverpool.

No need to compromise on his method for the majority of the season, but he can do so in a few games in the season where the stakes are too high and important for him to still stick to principles knowing he's making our life much more difficult than it could and should be.

Don't tell me that a guy who knows so so so much about football isn't capable of setting a team to play counter-attack which is the ideal way to exploit Liverpool as all the teams that have beaten them have demonstrated this season.

Not sure why he can't adjust to one or two knockout games where we can't afford to stick to his ways knowing that it won't work? Why does it have to be all or nothing?

Pep has literally said in public that he knows the way we play is perfect for Liverpool.

No need to compromise on his method for the majority of the season, but he can do so in a few games in the season where the stakes are too high and important for him to still stick to principles knowing he's making our life much more difficult than it could and should be.
I'm not sure you or others understand so let me put it another way, asking Pep to change to a defensive style is like asking a Vegetarian to start eating Meat, it's just not going to happen so sit back and enjoy the ride.

We're not going to turn everyone over so easily week in week out so we have to take the rough with the smooth, hopefully Saturday is one of them smooth moments and we're all celebrating with a few scoops afterwards

I'm not sure you or others understand so let me put it another way, asking Pep to change to a defensive style is like asking a Vegetarian to start eating Meat, it's just not going to happen so sit back and enjoy the ride.

We're not going to turn everyone over so easily week in week out so we have to take the rough with the smooth, hopefully Saturday is one of them smooth moments and we're all celebrating with a few scoops afterwards
I think I very well understand that he isn't going to change ever and thus am highlighting that it's a huge flaw in him which will always be an issue in knockout competitions.

It really bothers me that some on this forum think that apparently Pep just doesn't have it in him to play counter-attack football.

Funny but do you remember that 3-1 win at the Etihad over Barcelona in 2016? We had 35% possession. Yeah, THIRTY-FIVE. Seems to have been perfectly alright conceding possession in that game?

It really bothers me that some on this forum think that apparently Pep just doesn't have it in him to play counter-attack football.

Funny but do you remember that 3-1 win at the Etihad over Barcelona in 2016? We had 35% possession. Yeah, THIRTY-FIVE. Seems to have been perfectly alright conceding possession in that game?

He did that because he saw no other way for us to win.

Against Liverpool he saw the best way to win, made a plan, but that plan didn't come off through poor execution from the players and probably some poor selections on his part.

The discussion you were having was centred around Peps failure to change our style to be more pragmatic, whether it worked or was feeble or not wasn’t the point you were arguing with the other poster.
What Pep did last night was play what could be called a pseudo back 3. Laporte wasn’t a left-back in the sense of getting forward and supporting Sane, as Zinchenko or Mendy would have done. He was a pure defender. Had Delph played, more likely he’d have tucked into midfield allowing Silva to support Sane. That’s worked so well for us this season.

That meant our width on the right came from Walker, who had a shocker of a game & got caught upfield giving the ball away for their first goal. On the left, Sane had space but did fuck all whenever he recieved the ball. The young lad Alexander-Arnold kept his head and didn't allow Sane to get past him. Leroy didn't help himself mind you by coming inside almost every time. Had he mixed it up a bit he could have introduced an element of uncertainty to the full-back but he didn't so the lad was quite happy to show him inside, where he had support from his midfield.

Gundogan didn't seem to know what to do, in a role he should never have been asked to play, which was a kind of old-fashioned right-half. That's not pragmatism; it's pissing about to create a system that had no discernible benefits and many downsides. Even Silva had an air of "WTF am I supposed to do".

He either sticks with the 4-3-3 or, if he wants to be a little more cautious (i.e. pragmatic), plays a flat back four (with Danilo at left back) and the two in the defensive midfield positions, maybe sacrificing Jesus and having Silva in the false-nine role he plays for Spain. Or Sterling. Or he could have KDB and the two Silvas behind Jesus, leaving Sane on the bench. What he ended up doing was neither one thing nor the other.

He did that because he saw no other way for us to win.

Against Liverpool he saw the best way to win, made a plan, but that plan didn't come off through poor execution from the players and probably some poor selections on his part.
After 2 failed tries vs a full XI man Liverpool, do you think he's going to switch to what he did vs Barca?

He won't. And that's my problem. He can do it to beat Barcelona with Messi but he won't do it in a knockout game vs Liverpool where we have to progress somehow.

If he was absolutely clueless to play in any other way, I'd accept it. But if he does the same thing on Tuesday (and his post-match presser saying we played good and weren't bad suggests so) then it's just pure frustrating knowing he could've done something else to just progress to the semis.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.