Dortmunds training machine - Footbonaunt

Plain Speaking

I came across an article in the Daily Fail thought the principle of the equipment may make a useful addition within our new training facility?
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2232440/Footbonaut-secret-Borussia-Dortmunds-success--Jamie-Redknapp-tests-device-Roberto-Mancini-Jose-Mourinho-want-Christmas.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... stmas.html</a>
"
Guess what Roberto Mancini and Jose Mourinho want for Christmas?
A 'Footbonaut'. Yes a Footbonaut - we've not made it up.
It could be the secret to Borussia Dortmund's success. It's a training device which has helped the German champions run rings around City, Real and Ajax. Crucially, leaving them unbeaten in the Champions League. Jose, Roberto, Sportsmail gives you the 'Footbonaut'.
And we even sent Jamie Redknapp to have a go on a scaled-down version.
The 'Footbonaut' is the must-have training aid for all aspiring tika-taka maestros and Sportsmail columnist Redknapp tested an early version of it at adidas's HQ in Germany in May this year (see panel below).
Dortmund's version comprises a ball-feeding machine erected on a 14 metre square grid. The wannabe-Iniesta takes his place in a centre circle and the ball is fed randomly to him at a variety of heights and angles.
The player must then control the ball and deliver it to one of 64 targets within the cube. the target is identified by the lighting up of the square surround.
All the action is filmed and analysed instantly. The results are transmitted directly onto a coach's iPad.
The adidas device which former pass-master and England midfielder Redknapp tested had four targets. He was two seconds off the record, which impressed the adidas boffins!
Dortmund have been tipped by Sir Alex Ferguson, no less, to challenge for the European crown this year and who can argue as they top Group D, which was dubbed the 'group of death' when drawn in August.
"

This sort of ball-feeder has been around in tennis for ages. I used to think it would be a great idea for footballers, especially keepers. Should have built it, myself, years ago.

You would think that the pass and move exercises that are used in training would be equally if not more effective.

davymcfc said:
You would think that the pass and move exercises that are used in training would be equally if not more effective.
I have used the ball machines for tennis practice and they can be very good.
This machine seems a lot more sophisticated.
Its programmable facilities would be useful for different pass types and it would allow statistical analysis of players control, vision and pass accuracy. It looks a useful bit of kit to me!

Plain Speaking said:
davymcfc said:
I have used the ball machines for tennis practice and they can be very good.
This machine seems a lot more sophisticated.
Its programmable facilities would be useful for different pass types and it would allow statistical analysis of players control, vision and pass accuracy. It looks a useful bit of kit to me!
You are probably right, after all dortmund taught us a footballing lesson that night. I just would have thought that a machine won't be able to replicate the understanding that the players form while playing alongside each other.

It is not a secret to Dortmund's success. They just got it some weeks ago.

They are still as wasteful with their chances...

You'd think any top club should have one of these though, especially for the academy kids.

davymcfc said:
You are probably right, after all dortmund taught us a footballing lesson that night. I just would have thought that a machine won't be able to replicate the understanding that the players form while playing alongside each other.

It must be fairly simple to use if Großkreutz can understand it, he makes Ballotelli look like mastermind !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.