Dubai

Chrisja1000

Hi all,

Looking at possible going in October with my two lads at half term, has any one got any decent hotel recommendations and activities to do?

Hi all,

Looking at possible going in October with my two lads at half term, has any one got any decent hotel recommendations and activities to do?

All hotels are great . The first time we stayed in the Westin, it was fantastic and reasonably priced but that was a few years ago. Lovely gardens and a brilliant beach and beach restaurant. 5 days to a week is ideal.

Never really fancied Dubai despite knowing loads of people that love it.

I‘m not a snob by any stretch, but the place does seem to be a bit gaudy and ostentatious. That said, I think it would be remiss to deny myself the opportunity of trying it at least once in my lifetime. I love dining out at nice restaurants, so it’s perfectly possible that I’ll like the place, as I do Vegas in short doses. All part of cramming in what you can, when you can. Wouldn’t remotely fancy it when it was over 35 degrees though.

Stay at a hotel on the palm. They have a great waterpark there. Visit the Burj Khalifa (great views). Do quad biking in the desert …..you can get some great deals in August (but its ridiculously hot).

Never really fancied Dubai despite knowing loads of people that love it.

I‘m not a snob by any stretch, but the place does seem to be a bit gaudy and ostentatious. That said, I think it would be remiss to deny myself the opportunity of trying it at least once in my lifetime. I love dining out at nice restaurants, so it’s perfectly possible that I’ll like the place, as I do Vegas in short doses. All part of cramming in what you can, when you can. Wouldn’t remotely fancy it when it was over 35 degrees though.
I’ve had a few mates move over there and know loads who’ve been over for a holiday, and all of them love it. But it’s just never appealed to me.

It all just comes across to me as all that inflated lips, waxed eyebrows, Instagram celebrity, ‘look at me, I’m going to stand here while you take pictures of me for ten minutes even though other people might actually like having a look at it, and make sure you get the Louis Vuitton bag in’ shite… and that’s just the men!

Proper footballer’s girlfriend, Love Island and hangers-on haven. But it’s not cool in the slightest any of that stuff. Loads of money, high prices but not high class.

Maybe I’m not giving it a fair chance and judging it before I’ve seen it for myself. It’s not like I’m some ruffian who’d stick out like a sore thumb n’all. I always think I am a good inbetweener who’s always got on with the geek and the cock of the school, a kid and an OAP, a rich man and a poor man… but I can never seem to get on board with the style over substance pretentious stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve had a few mates move over there and know loads who’ve been over for a holiday, and all of them love it. But it’s just never appealed to me.

It all just comes across to me as all that inflated lips, waxed eyebrows, Instagram celebrity, ‘look at me, I’m going to stand here while you take pictures of me for ten minutes even though other people might actually like having a look at it, and make sure you get the Louis Vuitton bag in’ shite… and that’s just the men!

Proper footballer’s girlfriend, Love Island and hangers-on haven. But it’s not cool in the slightest any of that stuff. Loads of money, high prices but not high class.

Maybe I’m not giving it a fair chance and judging it before I’ve seen it for myself. It’s not like I’m some ruffian who’d stick out like a sore thumb n’all. I always think I am a good inbetweener who’s always got on with the geek and the cock of the school, a kid and an OAP, a rich man and a poor man… but I can never seem to get on board with the style over substance pretentious stuff.
I’m the same as you when it comes to effortlessly moving between people of different ages, social backgrounds and perspectives - in fact it is my greatest talent, as my circle of friends suitably demonstrates - but there have to me limits placed on that, and what Dubai appears to be, and represent, definitely falls outside of the things that are important to me.

That said, and as posted earlier, I should definitely go there before making my mind up fully. It might surprise me and life is sometimes about challenging your own perceptions and putting yourself outside your comfort zone.

I’m the same as you when it comes to effortlessly moving between people of different ages, social backgrounds and perspectives - in fact it is my greatest talent, as my circle of friends suitably demonstrates - but there have to me limits placed on that, and what Dubai appears to be, and represent, definitely falls outside of the things that are important to me.

That said, and as posted earlier, I should definitely go there before making my mind up fully. It might surprise me and life is sometimes about challenging your own perceptions and putting yourself outside your comfort zone.
Indeed.

I’ll get my eyebrow wax booked in soon in preparation!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.