EDS future opportunities and progression?

A lot of this is just written speculation with the main aim being to discredit City. Other clubs are threatened and know, deep down, that City will be the big dogs in the Premier League for a long time. Pep's presence alone can nip all these sorts of stories once he's 'officially' the manager.

I think this us inevitable. In the hypothetical situation where all the players in every age group were Champions League standard, we'd have to change the entire team every year to accommodate them all. I think two or three players from every age group would be the most we could actually integrate at any given time.

Losing them because other kids are getting into the first team picture ahead of them & it's full, is one thing but losing them because no kids are getting into the first team at all & are clogging up promotion to the EDS, because they have nowhere to go, is another.

Losing them because other kids are getting into the first team picture ahead of them & it's full, is one thing but losing them because no kids are getting into the first team at all & are clogging up promotion to the EDS, because they have nowhere to go, is another.
Agreed. Pep needs to set a marker early on to show that he will promote EDS lads to the first team or we'll have more and more looking elsewhere.

True, but if you're playing with others in the youth system on a day to day basis, you would quickly become aware that there are players in your peer group and the groups around you who are more likely to make it than you are. You then leave and make noises about foreign players barring your route to the first team.

I defer to those who see more of the youth team than I do, but, despite the very promising prospects who excite us all, I don't see anyone who could displace any of our first team squad, even Bony. That doesn't mean I'm not excited, just that we need patience. I love what I am seeing of Fofana, for example, but he seems to have improved immensely since going to France. Timing is all important and rushing things to make a point would, in my view, be detrimental both to the player and the club.

Agreed. Pep needs to set a marker early on to show that he will promote EDS lads to the first team or we'll have more and more looking elsewhere.

Unfortunately he probably needs to get rid of those he doesn't fancy as well, in order to make room, if we are to solve this problem. That could lead to a few mistakes if he has to make a quick decision on players.

True, but if you're playing with others in the youth system on a day to day basis, you would quickly become aware that there are players in your peer group and the groups around you who are more likely to make it than you are. You then leave and make noises about foreign players barring your route to the first team.

I defer to those who see more of the youth team than I do, but, despite the very promising prospects who excite us all, I don't see anyone who could displace any of our first team squad, even Bony. That doesn't mean I'm not excited, just that we need patience. I love what I am seeing of Fofana, for example, but he seems to have improved immensely since going to France. Timing is all important and rushing things to make a point would, in my view, be detrimental both to the player and the club.

It's not about displacing anyone. They don't have to. They can just be added to the squad ; given a shot here & there, then the ones who look the part get more opportunities & eventually do become regulars. The ones who can't make an impact get loaned or moved on. This should have been happening for at least a year imo.

A year or so ago, for example, Brandon Barker was the absolute star of the team. Everyone else seems to have been given more chances than him. I would be surprised if he thinks they deserve it. In years gone by, he would have been thrown on against some knackered fullback & told to tear him up. If he succeeded he'd have 40k+ people roaring him on & would instantly move up a level & we'd have a new player. If he struggled, he'd just be sent back to the EDS for a while then tried again.

We should know a lot about him as a first team prospect by now, & have some idea what his chances are but we know nothing. Same with Kean Bryan etc.

We should know a lot about him as a first team prospect by now, & have some idea what his chances are but we know nothing. Same with Kean Bryan etc.

Brandon Barker is an interesting example because I've never been able to see what you and others, possibly more qualified than I, see in him. So, personally, I'm not sure that the conclusion, that his progress has been blocked by a reluctance to play youth, is an appropriate one. Ditto with Angelino.

I do think, though, that there are competing contractual obligations involving the more established players relating to performance bonuses etc that mitigate against leaving them out to promote youth team players. And, of course, there have been precious few games where we could afford to gamble the result.

As it appears the alleged Tyrese Campbell discontentment has struck quite a chord,i have created this thread to discuss the progression,or lack of.....of our youth players.Cheers

Brandon Barker is an interesting example because I've never been able to see what you and others, possibly more qualified than I, see in him. So, personally, I'm not sure that the conclusion, that his progress has been blocked by a reluctance to play youth, is an appropriate one. Ditto with Angelino.

I do think, though, that there are competing contractual obligations involving the more established players relating to performance bonuses etc that mitigate against leaving them out to promote youth team players. And, of course, there have been precious few games where we could afford to gamble the result.

Personally I see those arguments as only existing as an excuse for the way City have been operating. No other club apart from perhaps Chelsea, seems to have any problem at all in those areas. Kids are regularly appearing from the bench at all levels in all leagues & often starting. Rashford for example was a promising kid, but behind many of our kids in development & would have struggled to get in our kids' teams.

As for Barker, I actually can't understand how anyone could watch him last season & not 'see' something. Again, way way more impressive than Rashford etc. Even Phil Neville was stood apllauding him on one occasion.

It's not a matter of being 'qualified' to have an opinion t's just watching a kid score spectacular goals, skin defenders etc. You don't have to be qualified to know DeBruyne's goal.the other night was a bit special, so I don't und4rstand how folks miss it when Barker does it. I haven't seen any of the other kids, including Iheanacho, do as many impressive things as he was doing last season. Garcia, nowhere near. Not sure he has been as impressive recently for City but that doesn't surprise me.

Doesn't mean he will make it. But he does have loads of talent & lightning pace, so if I was in charge, I'd see it as failure if I didn't make a player out of him one way or another.

In the case of Angelino, great footballer but questionable defender. We will have to see.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.