EDS vs Leicester tonight at 7 @CFA

Out-muscled in the end. 2-0 and Leicester tried a few up-and-unders and we couldn't handle them and they had two or three who seemed to understand that the best way to goal was straight down the middle, whereas we were emulating the first team by knocking it sideways, backwards, goalie! Poor defending for all three Leicester goals, and we seem to think that without some stout tackling we will eventually get the ball back.

Hiwula spent most of the evening with his back to goal, and the chances we did get, apart from the goals, went begging. Gave the ball away far too often in promising positions. We could and should have won that.

And, by God, it was freezing. 'Twas colder inside the stadium than on Asda's carpark!

Didn't deserve anything from the game after that second half performance. As has been said poor defending for all 3 of Leicester's goals. Poor performance by the ref today also, Leicester got away with loads of bad tackles.

Nelly's Left Foot said:
One of those games where we will have had much more of the ball but lost as ultimately we couldn't handle a ball crossed into our area and once Leicester decided to shut up shop we lacked the quality to break them down. 2 up in quick time with excellent breaks down the right for Drury to cross for tap ins for Pozo and Ntcham.

Leicester showing very little till they got the softest of goals as we failed to clear a corner.Then 2 more from crosses in the 2nd half highlighting our weakness.We had tons of the ball but it only ever seemed likely we would score again if Drury got a cross perfect again. He didn't till right at the end bur Hiwula headed wide.

Plummer and Maffeo as center halves isn't a great pairing for me and even more confusing when Bossaerts , who is a centre half , playing right back
. Anything played in the air at our central defence was a problem. Going forward when faced with a wall we didn't seem to have any ideas. We passed it around and from side to side but even when Celina and Boadu were on there was no spark and threat through the middle and only one wing offering anything.

I hope Patrick learned a lot from the game as I suspect he will.

Great summary of the game that.I can only think that it was part of Maffeo and Bossaerts football education as it made no sense as you say,surely they should be educated in lesser games?

Leicester were a big side with very poor technical play.should have been over at Half Time.

In defence of Paddy the EDS team have not had a settled back 4 all season. Various players have been moved in and out of the role and this is why we have looked so vulnerable in most games.

Last season we had Denayer leading the defence, and Paddy has struggled to replace him ever since.

jollylescott said:
In defence of Paddy the EDS team have not had a settled back 4 all season. Various players have been moved in and out of the role and this is why we have looked so vulnerable in most games.

Last season we had Denayer leading the defence, and Paddy has struggled to replace him ever since.

Absolutely true and it does make you realise that the results are probably not the most important thing most of the time. Having said that it has to be important to win games.

For the Schalke game we had Facey and Evans as the centre back pairing. Evans is now at Scunthorpe and I don't know whether Facey has gone anywhere or maybe injured. Constantly changing is bound to cause problems.

My only disappointment tonight was more about the lack of creativeness through the middle when Leicester shut up shop. They were very organised and strong so I know it wasn't easy but I was expecting a little more attempts and one twos or clever movement and passing but it didn't happen. As I said a good learning game for Vieira.

Tbilisi said:
Nelly's Left Foot said:
One of those games where we will have had much more of the ball but lost as ultimately we couldn't handle a ball crossed into our area and once Leicester decided to shut up shop we lacked the quality to break them down. 2 up in quick time with excellent breaks down the right for Drury to cross for tap ins for Pozo and Ntcham.

Leicester showing very little till they got the softest of goals as we failed to clear a corner.Then 2 more from crosses in the 2nd half highlighting our weakness.We had tons of the ball but it only ever seemed likely we would score again if Drury got a cross perfect again. He didn't till right at the end bur Hiwula headed wide.

Plummer and Maffeo as center halves isn't a great pairing for me and even more confusing when Bossaerts , who is a centre half , playing right back
. Anything played in the air at our central defence was a problem. Going forward when faced with a wall we didn't seem to have any ideas. We passed it around and from side to side but even when Celina and Boadu were on there was no spark and threat through the middle and only one wing offering anything.

Great summary of the game that.I can only think that it was part of Maffeo and Bossaerts football education as it made no sense as you say,surely they should be educated in lesser games?

Leicester were a big side with very poor technical play.should have been over at Half Time.
We'd already qualified so it was a good time to test things out against another very good youth team. It was in effect a freebie.

Tbilisi said:
Nelly's Left Foot said:

It is a lesser game.

But it has been the case they tend to play that way round anyhow, as much due to Bossaerts not being any good at cb imo.

bammy blue said:
Didn't deserve anything from the game after that second half performance. As has been said poor defending for all 3 of Leicester's goals. Poor performance by the ref today also, Leicester got away with loads of bad tackles.

The same kinda ref performance as that guy who had the City v Stoke YC. As the game wore on he got worse. Some 'robust' tackling by the Leicester lads that in a sky blue shirt often carries a booking. There were two tackles that got the card out but he was given some stick by the cognoscenti freezing in the East Stand. There was one particular incident where the ball was hoofed out, was coming straight for me but dropped short for our throw-in and the stentorian whistling wanker demanded that it be taken ten or fifteen yards further back! I had to tell the poor fellow he was mistaken. The lino copped for a bit of 'banter', too. I was hoping they put the young lady lino on our side but I think they knew she would be happier over the other side with no crowd. There was a guy, probably one of you lot, who was giving the lino some stick for not flagging offsides when Leicester had a throw in!!!

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
The same kinda ref performance as that guy who had the City v Stoke YC. As the game wore on he got worse. Some 'robust' tackling by the Leicester lads that in a sky blue shirt often carries a booking. There were two tackles that got the card out but he was given some stick by the cognoscenti freezing in the East Stand. There was one particular incident where the ball was hoofed out, was coming straight for me but dropped short for our throw-in and the stentorian whistling wanker demanded that it be taken ten or fifteen yards further back! I had to tell the poor fellow he was mistaken. The lino copped for a bit of 'banter', too. I was hoping they put the young lady lino on our side but I think they knew she would be happier over the other side with no crowd. There was a guy, probably one of you lot, who was giving the lino some stick for not flagging offsides when Leicester had a throw in!!!

Haha you must of been close, it pissed me off that he didn't see the second ball sat a few yards away from the corner flag which stayed there for 2 of the Leicester goals. Yep they will definitely put the young lass on the other side to protect her. I'm sure I've seen that ref running the line on a lower league game that's been on the box.

Good to see the club put up the lads names and numbers more often during the game on Monday, suggested it on here after the Schalke game so maybe somebody out there is paying attention!

Another point from the match, how come the south stand wasn't open? A few of us wanted to go and stand up, surely they could of opened half of it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.