Eliaquim Mangala

Status
Not open for further replies.
The passing doesn't have to be complex but the problem with Mangala is that he is not comfortable receiving the ball in a tight situation.
But make that clear to his teammates as you would do if you have a pub team. :-)

Just acknowledge that everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Jeez!

IMO if Mangala is told to keep it very simple in terms of passing he'd be better than Stones being told to pass with more freedom.

Maybe I'm just a dinosaur but a CB only has to make a few decisions when not being a "destroyer" -
1. Pass back ( in our case to keepers who can use the ball well)
2. Pass it sideways to the other CB or the nearest fullback (who should all be better to make the next move)
3. Pass it forward a few yards to a CM (providing that there's no pressure)
4. Boot it long
5. Kick it out.

IMO the CB should never be ashamed to do the last 2. Just not all the time ala Dunne :-)

Boggles me that Stones is above Mangala. I want Stones to improve and play to learn but as it stands I'd bet one whole euro that Mangala would be the better partner for Kompany.

If we get another CB I hope they can actually defend.

In the context of a team managed by Pep, you cannot be serious. Stones is effortlessly comfortable in possession, whilst Mangala, erm, isn't! Stones fucks up now and again, but if Mangala was asked to give and receive the ball under pressure the St John's Ambulance would have to crack open the defibrillator for me every week!

Why? Kolarov is the antithesis of lescott/mangala. He has good technique so can play out from the back.

He can ping the ball about when we play the likes of Bournemouth but not so against quality teams, Kolorov should never be anywhere near the centre of our defence, nowhere near.

But make that clear to his teammates as you would do if you have a pub team. :-)

Just acknowledge that everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Jeez!
I've nothing against the guy but his main weakness is too much of a weakness in a Guardiola team.
A bit like Messi couldn't cut it as a Peg player.

Very strong resemblance to lescott. However, as good as lescott was he would get nowhere near a guardiola team. Same rings true for mangala.
He wasn't very good. Enjoyed playing next to the best CB in the world at his peak and playing with 2 defensive mids ahead of him.

Average CB who found his level once he left us. Mangala is actually better than Lescott. But not the best idea for the type of team we have. He is actually a willing and hardworking type of player. The type that tries their darnest to please their manager. And he'd probably adapt well enough not to be minus. But he'll never be a plus.

I've nothing against the guy but his main weakness is too much of a weakness in a Guardiola team.
A bit like Messi couldn't cut it as a Peg player.
Messi would cut it as any manager's player. Especially the Messi of 5 years ago. The current Messi takes off on defense too much. I guess he has earned the right to. But the Messi of 5 years ago was a harassing menace.

Besides every manager is smart enough to readjust their philosophy to fit Messi and not the other way around.

Messi would cut it as any manager's player. Especially the Messi of 5 years ago. The current Messi takes off on defense too much. I guess he has earned the right to. But the Messi of 5 years ago was a harassing menace.

Besides every manager is smart enough to readjust their philosophy to fit Messi and not the other way around.
Yeah sorry I was exaggerating a little but Peg does basically like physical centre forwards.

Kolarov is never a better defender than Lescott was.
Nowhere near. But it seems to me in a pep team, defending is not the priority, even for a defender ;) I think the ideology is sound but I feel safer with a lescott type player than a kolarov.

Anything happening with ths lad? I'm surprised nonody is in for him, he'd be well suited to a premier league defence, I thought maybe Newcastle or West Ham would have a bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.