Emigrating Abroad

I emigrated to Nova Scotia, Canada 3years ago. Probably somewhere very few people know much about and maybe a destination that gets little consideration. We have 4 seasons of weather, much better defined than at home and summer is great (still in the 20's in Sept.) Endless miles of coastline, lots of lakes, trees, sand, water. 1 big city (Halifax) which is the main port and quite a busy bustling city. Traffic & parking tricky in the city, but once outside you can travel anywhere easily, rarely get caught in traffic.
Halifax has universities, endless food, nightlife etc etc. It's also an affordable place to live and not subject to ridiculous rises/drops in house prices. 6 hours back to London from Halifax Stanfield airport. Oh, and my dentist is a blue.
I have cable & IPTV - never miss a game except maybe early EFL/FA Cup rounds.
Emigration here much easier than to the States, and we are next door, can travel into New England by car in a few hours.
I think Canada came out the no1 emigration country (again) in a recent survey - there really are far worse places to live. I should know coming from Ashton originally......sigh
Take it you're a trawler man then. Been to Halifax a couple of times. Nice for a visit, wouldn't want to live there though.

My reason for moving abroad ....Mrs Daz_Blue :)
417798_10151455213306099_646292857_n.jpg

USA is hard unless your getting married or have a sponsor .....was hard before Trump I expect it to be 10 times more difficult to get in now

Glad to hear all is going well, even though Halifax conjures up a humiliating defeat on a quagmire pitch!
My wife has several relatives who have emigrated to Canada, I myself am seriously thinking of moving to Mauritus if we can convince the kids, to set up our own business ( design/ clothing) warm weather, warm seas, rum, a slower pace of life, and plenty of stars to gaze on at night.

Well that would be fantastic. Leaving home is a wrench at first - stick at it and stick together you will reap the rewards.

Wish I could afford to live abroad. If I had the money I would be over to New Zealand like a shot. Would miss City but I could live.

Retired and now live in Southern Spain about 20 mins from the Med..

Dry and warm so the wifes disabling arthritis no longer troubles her. Medical care generally better than UK and in my case life saving rather than being told my particular problem was normal and I should not worry.
Cost of living very much better more than compensating for sterling demise.
Very little crime where we live with absolutely no loutish drunken behaviour witnessed (if I discount the wifes friday night red wine excesses).
Agricultural area where we live so quite a lot of unemployment however our sub contracted fence building and earth moving tasks at very low rates as long as we use Spanish labour. Unfortunately English tradespeople charge English prices to their English clients.

All in all one of the best things I have ever done, travelled extensively when working but never saw this part of the world but everything is so tranquil and laid back and I now understand that mañana means not today rather than tomorrow but everyone smiles and rarely get uptight.

Retired and now live in Southern Spain about 20 mins from the Med..

Dry and warm so the wifes disabling arthritis no longer troubles her. Medical care generally better than UK and in my case life saving rather than being told my particular problem was normal and I should not worry.
Cost of living very much better more than compensating for sterling demise.
Very little crime where we live with absolutely no loutish drunken behaviour witnessed (if I discount the wifes friday night red wine excesses).
Agricultural area where we live so quite a lot of unemployment however our sub contracted fence building and earth moving tasks at very low rates as long as we use Spanish labour. Unfortunately English tradespeople charge English prices to their English clients.

All in all one of the best things I have ever done, travelled extensively when working but never saw this part of the world but everything is so tranquil and laid back and I now understand that mañana means not today rather than tomorrow but everyone smiles and rarely get uptight.
Hi mate sounds great, hw will you go post Brexit, I mean things like health cover ?
I visited Montserrat earlier this year and met some retired people from Kent who live near Barcelona, I asked them the same question and none of them knew an answer, although they said they loved living in Spain but a bit too cold in winter.

My reason for moving abroad ....Mrs Daz_Blue :)
417798_10151455213306099_646292857_n.jpg

USA is hard unless your getting married or have a sponsor .....was hard before Trump I expect it to be 10 times more difficult to get in now

No difference since really. The same immigration laws are in place. The only difference is those who come illegally are deported.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.