Employment question.

yozzerblue

Team supported
Man City
I work with a guy who in the last twelve months has been diagnosed with prostate cancer, had a kidney removed, gone through radiotherapy and just a few weeks ago had a pacemaker fitted because his heart kept going haywire. He is also past retirement age but continues to work for his own reasons.
He is a conscientious worker and everything he does, he does to the letter. Before his illness he was into his running and cycling and did one or the other twice a day, He can no longer continue his hobby because of his recent health problems.
The other day he finished at 2-pm, thirty minutes early, to attend a dental appointment. On receiving his wage slip today noticed he had been docked one hour. This seems the norm at my place of work, surely he is entitled to the other thirty minutes that he had worked. I am interested only because I have had it done to me in the past. There is nothing in our contract about this.
This guy has a great sense of humor so blue mooners. not only would I like a serious answer to the above question but feel free to tell me and the lads what you think of my boss so we can have the craic in the morning. Laughter is the best medicine and I will read the comments out at morning brew. Oh the boss is a rag by the way.

I think the scousers docked your boss a quarter final match in the has been cup.

That was funny, just told my grandad "let me tell you a story, you'll laugh", he was cleared of cancer a few years ago, got to the bit about the boss being a rag and he phsl!

Seriously though, it depends on what your contract says. If the contract states that a full hour will be deducted for each part hour absence then you are screwed, but if there is nothing explicit in the contract then it would be unfair to deduct a full hour for only half an hour's leave and you may have a case to claim back the other half hour. Alternatively make sure that if you have an appointment, take a full hour as you know that is how much time you will be docked anyway. The employer will soon realise it is costing him more lost hours and may change his policy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.