England v Belgium | Friendly | Match Thread

Why do you have to be arrogant to make it and stay there.
Because the system basically requires it. The truly “humble” kids tend to get less attention (i.e. coaching and promotion) early on, which leads to a filtering effect through out the stages of development.

I certainly won’t claim every top player are arrogant, but I will absolutely stand behind vast majority being so confident as to come of as overestimating their own abilities.

I think he’s an extremely pleasant and incredibly humble person, he is nowhere near being arrogant
As I said, I think people are thinking about this sort of arrogance as the type they encounter in cunts at work or on the street.

It’s not the same.

Sorry mate but that's just waffle. When he starts turning up to training half-cut, or getting into scraps on night outs, we can begin to talk about self-destructive paths.

Does he come across as an arrogant prick? Absolutely. Some of the greatest players ever were self-conceited, it's not new territory.
Whatever you say, mate.

Yeah I've never really gone with the attitude leads to success bollocks. It's more simple than that. Talent will find a sinner as often as a Saint, tis the luck of the draw.

Arrogant people don't become successful. It requires huge commitment and effort to be the best, as well as talent and the final piece of that is confidence in your ability. Some talk the talk, like Ibrahimovic or come across blunt and slightly rude like Haaland (which I fucking love) but it's largely just a performance for the cameras. In a team sport you don't survive by being arrogant.

It's one of those nonsense phrases

Plenty of greats in sport have been very humble people
They’ve been humble outside of football.

It’s really not a nonsense phrase.

It’s amazing that one of Rodri’s biggest fans, a fellow Spaniard, is getting so much pushback on calling Rodri arrogant in the way most top level footballers are, whilst also explaining why he is able to channel it for comprehensively positive impact (his other brilliant qualities).

I have seen him play for different teams against city and for England If he only has incredible games for Madrid that would be very very odd. I'm starting to think you're related or running his fan club.

He was excellent against us for Dortmund in the game we won 2-1 in the knockouts and also very good in the first 45 of the return leg in Dortmund until he ran out of puff,but he was about 19 then. He's a very good player, but hopefully he tucks up nicely in Rodri's pocket in a few weeks.

Adductor muscle seems to be the belief now circulating online.
Thank you. I just saw it on another thread…

An abductor injury involves the muscles responsible for rotating an arm or leg away from the body, particularly affecting the hip muscles that open the hip out to the side. These injuries can lead to conditions like tendonitis, tendinopathy, and abductor tears, causing pain and difficulty in standing or walking.

Commonly caused by overuse during sports activities involving jumping, abductor injuries can result from muscle imbalances or age-related wear and tear on tendons. Diagnosis involves physical exams and imaging tests like x-rays, ultrasounds, or MRIs. Treatment includes rest, ice, compression, elevation (RICE method), anti-inflammatory medication, rehabilitation exercises, and in severe cases, surgery may be necessary for complete tears.

Arrogant people don't become successful. It requires huge commitment and effort to be the best, as well as talent and the final piece of that is confidence in your ability. Some talk the talk, like Ibrahimovic or come across blunt and slightly rude like Haaland (which I fucking love) but it's largely just a performance for the cameras. In a team sport you don't survive by being arrogant.
Arrogance is completely separate from commitment and effort (or selflessness), which I agree are all qualities that are absolutely necessary to become successful in a team sport.

You can be arrogant and have all of those other attributes, as well.

And, in fact, most “successful” people across vocations would be classified by most as arrogant, so I am not sure where you are getting this “arrogant people don’t become successful” thing from.

Arrogance is heavily tied to perseverance, though, especially when it comes to brutal development tracks like becoming a professional footballer (which 99% of people that attempt it wash out of).

Most footballers simply have to have a very healthy (bordering on exaggerated) since of self worth and importance to make it through the gauntlet.

And the ones that don’t need that are usually the children of ex-footballers that get advantages that players from non-football pedigrees do not, hence why they are able to make it through.

Last edited:
The big issue for the majority of the talented players is they are all playing their own game. Bellingham is Real Madrid Bellingham and not England. Same with Rice, same with Mainoo the list goes on.
Unless Southgate can gel them and drum it into them this is a team game England will suffer.

Well that's why great managers are who they are, they can handle a team full of big names, make them gel and make them recognise the manager is the real deal and they trust the manager.

That's why managers like Pep, or Mourinho in the past have won trophies all over the place. That's not simply down to ability to organise a winning team, it's also because these big name players knowing if you put trust in these proven managers and work for them and work for the team you will also win things.

Other than Southgate being an affable fella, he's not going to command the footballing respect for these big players to have complete trust in him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.