England v Germany | Euro 2020 Last 16

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kane should definitely have been hooked after an hour - I suspect Southgate was hoping he had to come off when he got injured before then.

Bear in mind this was a Germany side that had scored 6 in their last two games, and they were unlucky to lose to France in their first game. England didn't park the bus at all - they just weren't particularly adventurous, and most of the time they didn't leave space for Germany to counter attack.

If you check out the heatmaps of this game and compare it to the Champions League final, it shows a clear difference. City absolutely dominated possession in Chelsea's half in the CL, but tonight, while much more even, England were the ones playing closer to Germany's goal.
I'd say Kane again suffered from team selection.

Once Grealish came on and there was someone with decent technical ability drifting into the middle and Kane's game got better. He was constantly dropping deep to collect the ball and try to start something, Grealish took on that creative responsibility allowing Kane to get himself into more dangerous positions.

Saka is a good young player but was the wrong type of player for the formation. Grealish/Foden should have started ahead of him.

Never mind that, we won, we decent performances all round.

We'll be clear favourites for the next games and the pressure will be on us to play to win them.

I'd say Kane again suffered from team selection.

Once Grealish came on and there was someone with decent technical ability drifting into the middle and Kane's game got better. He was constantly dropping deep to collect the ball and try to start something, Grealish took on that creative responsibility allowing Kane to get himself into more dangerous positions.

Saka is a good young player but was the wrong type of player for the formation. Grealish/Foden should have started ahead of him.

Never mind that, we won, we decent performances all round.

We'll be clear favourites for the next games and the pressure will be on us to play to win them.
Maybe the tactics as much as the team - If we're going to play with 5 at the back, and 2 DMs then you need all the front 3 to be mobile.

After all I'm glad Low is gone, 3 years too late though. Hope Bierhoff is sacked as well but I doubt it, sadly. The two of them didn't allow any criticism for too long. Bit arrogant if you ask me.

Germany has made too many mistakes developing youth players and the system after 2014 glory and we will pay the bill in the years ahead. We already know we are missing too many talents in younger age groups. And I also see a generational change in the old "German" mentality. Flick won't be the man to change it short term.

Other nations have been waiting so long. Hope we'll see a new title winner, if possible playing attractive footy, and in style.
What do you mean?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.