Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Stadium expansion worries me. I always think of football clubs like Sunderland who have increased the capacity of the stadium when times were good without thinking about the long term. It sometimes seems like there is a competition for clubs to have the nicest ground with the highest capacity. Is this sort of thing really important to our supporters?

Stadium expansion worries me. I always think of football clubs like Sunderland who have increased the capacity of the stadium when times were good without thinking about the long term. It sometimes seems like there is a competition for clubs to have the nicest ground with the highest capacity. Is this sort of thing really important to our supporters?
It's really important to the ones who can't get in (Covid aside).

And anyone who doesn't understand that our owner only looks long term hasn't been paying attention.

Hey Jrb. Haven't been on this thread since the pandemic kicked in. Also haven't put my head in SSC this year.
What's the current vibe about development in Manchester at the moment (taking this horrid pandemic into account)?
Stuff on hold? New towers planned?

Hope all is well mate...
Hope the MODS don’t mind me replying to Somapop?

I am, thanks.

Same to you and every other poster on BM.

Development has definitely slowed, but there‘s still plenty under construction and being proposed.

Manchester‘s property and construction sector has been pretty resilient during the on-going COVID pandemic. Perhaps that’s a testament to the city.

The last crane count in October complied by Trident Rider on SSC-MCR showed Manchester down to 35 cranes from a high of 82 cranes last June.

1606297682377.jpeg

However, there are a few large developments that have recently started or are due to start next year that will increase the crane count.

There are 4 towers currently onsite. Elizabeth tower-52 stories-Renaker, the Blade-52 stories-Renaker, Greengate Park tower-50 stories-Renaker(hail Renake!), Viadux-40 stories-Salboy(Fred Done). There are plenty of midrise and lowrise aprtment blocks under construction and proposed.

As expected Office development has slowed considerably due to the COVID pandemic. 4 Angel Square-200,000 st ft-NOMA, is onsite, and 4 New Bailey-235,000 sq ft-New Bailey, will start early next year. There are other office proposals that are due to start or have just been given planning permission.

Still plenty of Hotels under construction and proposed. The Hotel chains and developers seem to be pushing ahead with their proposals. One Hotel to watch out for is the Pestana Hotel-CR7(Ronaldo), proposal. It’s absolutely stunning. One of the best looking proposals I have ever seen for Manchester. It would grace London, Paris, New York, Barcelona, etc.

The large mixed used proposals are moving ahead. Circle Square looks superb, and is well on the way to completion. St John’s/Enterprise City is well under construction. Mayfield is moving very slowly.

Leisure. That will be very busy over the coming years. Factory-cultural space, is well under construction.The East Manchester Arena. The redevelopment of the AO Arena. The proposed Therme Spa resort at Trafford City.

Of interest.

St Michaels’s tower-40 stories(Gary. Neville & Co) is moving ahead behind the scenes. Plenty of amended planning applications and decision notices recently. Hopefully we will finally see a start on it next year?

Popped up on the Trafford planning portal. Early day’s. No concrete info yet. A modern surf/wave pool attraction, Barton Dock Road, Trafford Park. At a guess, similar to the one proposed in Southport. It will be located across the road from the Therme Resort. Looks like Peel are going all out to create a water themed resort/area next to the Trafford Centre. Ian Brown. ’Manchester has everything except a beach’. It will have one soon.

If anyone wants to keep up with what’s going on in Manchester regarding construction and property development, go to Skyscrapercity-Manchester.

Pictures of the Eastlands Arena under construction will be added to the thread starting after the current lockdown ends on the 2nd of December. (can’t get close to the site atm)

Last edited:
Another ‘main stand’ expansion. Clubs maximising profits. I’m sure the Leicester fans would have rather had a large KOP(spit) style stand behind one of the goals, if possible?

Too OTT for me. Looks like a football stand you would see in the Middle East.

Hope the MODS don’t mind me replying to Somapop?

I am, thanks.

Same to you and every other poster on BM.

Development has definitely slowed, buts there‘s still plenty under construction and being proposed.

Manchester‘s property and construction sector has been pretty resilient during the on-going COVID pandemic. Perhaps that’s a testament to the city.

The last crane count in October complied by Trident Rider on SSC-MCR showed Manchester down to 35 cranes from a high of 82 cranes last June.

View attachment 5803

However, there are a few large developments that have recently started or are due to start next year that will increase the crane count.

There are 4 towers currently onsite. Elizabeth tower-52 stories-Renaker, the Blade-52 stories-Renaker, Greengate Park tower-52 stories-Renaker(hail Renake!), Viadux-40 stories-Salboy(Fred Done). There are plenty of midrise and lowrise aprtment blocks under construction and proposed.

As expected Office development has slowed considerably due to the COVID pandemic. 4 Angel Square-200,000 st ft-NOMA, is onsite, and 4 New Bailey-235,000 sq ft-New Bailey, will start early next year. There are other office proposals that are due to start or have just been given planning permission.

Still plenty of Hotels under construction and proposed. The Hotel chains and developers seem to be pushing ahead with their proposals. One Hotel to watch out for is the Pestana Hotel-CR7(Ronaldo), proposal. It’s absolutely stunning. One of the best looking proposals I have ever seen for Manchester. It would grace London, Paris, New York, Barcelona, etc.

The large mixed used proposal are moving ahead. Circle Square looks superb, and is well on the way to completion. St John’s/Enterprise City is well under construction. Mayfield is moving very slowly.

Leisure. That will be very busy over the coming years. Factory-cultural space, is well under construction.The East Manchester Arena. The redevelopment of the AO Arena. The proposed Therme Spa resort at Trafford City

Of interest.

St Michaels’s tower-40 stories(Gary. Neville & Co) is moving ahead behind the scenes. Plenty of amended planning applications and decision notices recently. Hopefully we will finally see a start on it next year?

Popped up on the Trafford planning portal. Early day’s. No concrete info yet. A modern surf/wave pool attraction, Barton Dock Road, Trafford Park. At a guess, similar to the one proposed in Southport. It will be located across the road from the Therme Resort. Looks like Peel are going all out to create a water themed resort/area next to the Trafford Centre. Ian Brown. ’Manchester has everything except a beach’. It will have one soon.

If anyone wants to keep up with what’s going on in Manchester regarding construction and property development, go to Skyscrapercity-Manchester.

Pictures of the Eastlands Arena under construction will be added to the thread starting after the current lockdown ends on the 2nd of December. (can’t get close to the site atm)
Thanks for all that mate - I’m up to date now.
Heard the blade was going ahead (cylinder next?) which is good news.
Don’t recall the greengate one off the top of my head but I suspect it’s one I saw last year.
Any rumblings on Trinity?

thanks jrb.

Another ‘main stand’ expansion. Clubs maximising profits. I’m sure the Leicester fans would have rather had a large KOP(spit) style stand behind one of the goals, if possible?

Too OTT for me. Looks like a football stand you would see in the Middle East.
Will you be getting your step ladders and camera out for the arena build? Used to love your updates on the academy build especially.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.