Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

A longish read if anyone wants to read it.

By Mark Davyd, CEO and founder of the Music Venue Trust

The new Co-op Live Arena is currently under construction next to the Etihad Stadium in east Manchester. Regular readers may be aware that I previously discussed the need for such new arenas to financially contribute into the ecosystem that creates the talent that is essential to the future health of their own business. After I made that point, the company that is creating Co-op Live went to the press with a statement to counterpoint that position, making a range of claims about how the arena would help the ecosystem, and about their interactions with Music Venue Trust. Separately, I also received angry emails from Oakview Group (OVG) fiercely objecting to us discussing these issues in public. So, fully expecting a positively overflowing email box full of stuff telling me that this isn’t the way to do things, let’s revisit what those plans are, who Co-op Live are making them with, and why.

New Century + Factory + CoOp is amazing for Manchester. Can't wait for this new one to open. Let's hope it brings a few pubs or bars with it.

A longish read if anyone wants to read it.

By Mark Davyd, CEO and founder of the Music Venue Trust

The new Co-op Live Arena is currently under construction next to the Etihad Stadium in east Manchester. Regular readers may be aware that I previously discussed the need for such new arenas to financially contribute into the ecosystem that creates the talent that is essential to the future health of their own business. After I made that point, the company that is creating Co-op Live went to the press with a statement to counterpoint that position, making a range of claims about how the arena would help the ecosystem, and about their interactions with Music Venue Trust. Separately, I also received angry emails from Oakview Group (OVG) fiercely objecting to us discussing these issues in public. So, fully expecting a positively overflowing email box full of stuff telling me that this isn’t the way to do things, let’s revisit what those plans are, who Co-op Live are making them with, and why.

This guys a crank. How much has the AO Arena contributed to grass roots music over the past 30+ years ?? Absolutely fuck all like all the other big venues.

Yet he expects a venue not even open for 10 months so pay up !!

I’m sure he has good intentions but to take the new arena for handouts before it’s even open is ridiculous

Looks like lighting is being put in as that is ducking for the cables, knowing Network Rail one of their engineers maybe fell getting access, so they spend thousands of pounds doing this, if you want to do a station it cost millions nowadays. need dissabled access and lift knowadays

View attachment 85868
I always wonder about that goods line that runs parallel-ish with Bradford Road. Looking on Google it goes into both Piccadilly & Victoria stations. Surely using it is as a sort of shuttle on match days could be an option???

This guys a crank. How much has the AO Arena contributed to grass roots music over the past 30+ years ?? Absolutely fuck all like all the other big venues.

Yet he expects a venue not even open for 10 months so pay up !!

I’m sure he has good intentions but to take the new arena for handouts before it’s even open is ridiculous
The literal target of MVT’s campaign is the eight NEW arenas scheduled for opening. That’s the point, OVG, ASM etc are only investing in these projects because of the huge differential in returns compared to the older arenas. Some of that should be used to support the next generation of arena artists in a meaningful way.

Long term, of course everyone wants there to be a standard arena levy to support grassroots infrastructure but that sort of blanket change would require legislation.

The literal target of MVT’s campaign is the eight NEW arenas scheduled for opening. That’s the point, OVG, ASM etc are only investing in these projects because of the huge differential in returns compared to the older arenas. Some of that should be used to support the next generation of arena artists in a meaningful way.

Long term, of course everyone wants there to be a standard arena levy to support grassroots infrastructure but that sort of blanket change would require legislation.
Arenas have operated in the UK for 35+ years. The operators have not spent a bean on grass roots venues.

Oak View and City invest 300m on their first venture and this clown approaches them to start paying a levy for grass roots venues. Genius !

That seems completely legit. Maybe they should charge Stadiums a fee to fund Arena shows - you know….Arena bands are the stadium bands of the future.

There are huge issues in the live music industry - tbe Live Nation Ticketmaster tie up / surge pricing / Venues stealing percentages from artists - but asking new Arena’s that have not started trading to fund small venues is a non starter.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.