Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

I wonder if anyone can explain to me why a company would spend 300 million on a stadium they don't own? (over and above the extra income of 9000 tickets and hospitality income). Also the relationship that the collar site (CFG owned?) has with the stadium. Do City own the hotel and offices? Where is the dividing line drawn between the stadium and the new bit?

It feels complicated to me. Genuine question.
As I understand it the club have a roughly 250 year lease on the stadium with a fixed formula for annual rent that the council can’t unilaterally change. That means it’s effectively the same as owning it but the council tax payers of Manchester get an ongoing income that’s a pittance for the club, and the club gets to keep the money it would cost to buy it outright. It’s beneficial for both sides and the club keep an ongoing good relationship with the council which doubtless helps with getting planning applications approved without undesirable amendments.

As I understand it the club have a roughly 250 year lease on the stadium with a fixed formula for annual rent that the council can’t unilaterally change. That means it’s effectively the same as owning it but the council tax payers of Manchester get an ongoing income that’s a pittance for the club, and the club gets to keep the money it would cost to buy it outright. It’s beneficial for both sides and the club keep an ongoing good relationship with the council which doubtless helps with getting planning applications approved without undesirable amendments.
Also City own the hotel and offices, plus joint venture of the Arena

I wonder if anyone can explain to me why a company would spend 300 million on a stadium they don't own? (over and above the extra income of 9000 tickets and hospitality income). Also the relationship that the collar site (CFG owned?) has with the stadium. Do City own the hotel and offices? Where is the dividing line drawn between the stadium and the new bit?

It feels complicated to me. Genuine question.

I’ll add some possible reasons. I stand corrected on what I’m posting. Feel free. :-)

1. Additional match day revenue and annual income.
2. Hosting CL and Europa cup finals. 60,000+ capacity
3. It’s a 250 year lease, so additional match day income will also cover the the lease cost, which is currently between £4mill-£5mill a year. Stand corrected on that.
4. City will make the £300mill back at some point in the future. Then it will be pure profit from the stand, hotel, museum, retail, offices, the sky walk, events, conferences, etc.
5. Outside of the match day, the stand, hotel, retail, offices, bars, restaurants etc will make additional income, compared to the North stand now, which makes nothing outside of match days.
6. I think, think, City own the Collar site? They own most or all of the Etihad Campus. MCC have some say on the Collar site. What the actual relationship and partnership between the club and MCC regarding the Collar site is anyones guess. It’s shrouded in a bit of secrecy.
7. City and MCC are working together to deliver an appropriate use for the Collar site that will bring further investment, jobs, and possibly education to the area. But we don’t know what that is still.

These comments could be related to the future of the Collar site? An AI education campus on the Collar site, plus additional education and other buildings? But that’s me just guessing, nothing more.

Marty Edelman spoke at MIPIM about his relationship with the city council

The second plateau may involve some housing, but really we’re more focused on thinking about job creation – and when you think about job creation, we think about skills,” he continued.

“What we need to do is create educational places where young people can learn those skills that are relevant to a world in which AI is perhaps the future and the computer, in a way, is the past. I want to focus Man Life to see if we can create those spaces, which will provide opportunity for educating young people so they have a pathway to jobs.”

Last edited:
I’ll add some possible reasons. I stand corrected on what I’m posting. Feel free. :-)

3. It’s a 250 year lease, so additional match day income will also cover the the lease cost, which is currently between £4mill-£5mill a year. Stand corrected on that.
4. City will make the £300mill back at some point in the future. Then it will be pure profit from the stand, hotel, museum, retail, offices, the sky walk, events, conferences, etc.
5. Outside of the match day, the stand, hotel, retail, offices, bars, restaurants etc will make additional income, compared to the North stand now, which makes nothing outside of match days.
6. I think, think, City own the Collar site? They own most or all of the Etihad Campus. MCC have some say on the Collar site. What the actual relationship and partnership between the club and MCC regarding the Collar site is anyones guess. It’s shrouded in a bit of secrecy.
7. City and MCC are working together to deliver an appropriate use for the Collar site that will bring further investment, jobs, and possibly education to the area. But we don’t know what that is still.

These comments could be related to the future of the Collar site? An AI education campus on the Collar site, plus additional education and other buildings? But that’s me just guessing, nothing more.

The second plateau may involve some housing, but really we’re more focused on thinking about job creation – and when you think about job creation, we think about skills,” he continued.

“What we need to do is create educational places where young people can learn those skills that are relevant to a world in which AI is perhaps the future and the computer, in a way, is the past. I want to focus Man Life to see if we can create those spaces, which will provide opportunity for educating young people so they have a pathway to jobs.”

which collar site is this you mentioning?

Not the area they have lined up next to the Campus for extension work for the women team?

I was under the impression that CFG was MCC partner in collar site ownership. I’m probably proved wrong by the hotel being partly owned by us.
Cue new PL Rule: Hotel income cannot be used in revenue calculation re ffp.

Thanks JRB. I thought you would have an idea. I knew some of it. I suppose at the back of my mind is, what would MCC do if City walked away and built a new stadium, but that sounds ridiculous as I type it. It seems that every added construction confirms ADUG's commitment to the city. It's just strange that we own the crown but not the jewels!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.