European super league

You believe what you want to believe if it keeps you angry but I tend to believe that huge fan of the club, Florentino Perez;

"Although he had said he would not name the club, when he was asked if it was Manchester City Pérez said: “The one from Manchester saw the campaign saying this will kill the leagues, that it won’t allow [sporting] merit, that it was the end of football. There are people who have privileges and don’t want to lose them, even if it ruins football. When the English called me [on Tuesday], we met to see what we could do. They tried, but said: ‘Look, we’re not going to do this.’”
I'm calling it. We withdrew first. Thank you Newman.

Fwiw and if I correctly remember the events of those crazy two days, there were plenty of rumours that an English club was about to withdraw because "this wasn't what we signed up for". There was a general understanding, on here certainly, and iirc more widely, that this club was City because we joined at the last minute and presumably under pressure and (amazingly) without understanding all the details. When one club withdraws, so went the conventional wisdom, others would have to follow.

So, I think, people were waiting for City to withdraw and Chelsea snuck in first.

Last edited:
Why this sudden interest in who withdrew first?

Whatever the reason, City missed a golden opportunity to be the one shining light who turned it down in the first place.

Whether they got one brownie point back for being first out, or just half a point for second, it makes little impact on the thousand minus brownie points for signing up to start with.

Why this sudden interest in who withdrew first?

Whatever the reason, City missed a golden opportunity to be the one shining light who turned it down in the first place.

Whether they got one brownie point back for being first out, or just half a point for second, it makes little impact on the thousand minus brownie points for signing up to start with.

They lost no brownie points with me. It is clear from Perez's comments I posted above that we signed up without being in possession of all the details. It would have been commercial madness to have dismissed the idea out of hand. Once we became aware of the full details and its implication for football we pulled the rug from under their feet.

They lost no brownie points with me. It is clear from Perez's comments I posted above that we signed up without being in possession of all the details. It would have been commercial madness to have dismissed the idea out of hand. Once we became aware of the full details and its implication for football we pulled the rug from under their feet.

These people aren’t business rookies. Expressing an interest and signing up for something are two completely different things.

Who signs up for something without understanding the full implications?

These people aren’t business rookies. Expressing an interest and signing up for something are two completely different things.

Who signs up for something without understanding the full implications?

Whilst partly agreeing, I'd turn that round and ask why such erudite and intelligent people would sign up to something and then only become aware that [it] "will kill the leagues, that it won’t allow [sporting] merit, that it was the end of football" after it became public knowledge.

One day the full story of our involvement will come out but my guess is that it won't be the black and white narrative some would like it to be.

See that the EPL are at loggerheads with FIFA over the Club World Cup we are set to compete in during the summer of 2025.

I can see the big clubs moving away from UEFA/FIFA and international football at some point I really can.

UEFA and FIFA dont give a toss about players, fans or lower level clubs anyway.

Weren't we the last to be invited......with 2 hours notice ?

Another 'fair play' by the cartel.

I truly hope that we fuck them good n proper when we're cleared.

Gill,Parry,Masters et al !!

No evidence apart from some PR spin, and when it was put to the Chairman he didn't confirm or deny that.

It made some City fans feels better.
The events of the day are exactly as I described

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.