Everton - Post match thread.

Mourinho's approach is different to Pep's in a number of ways. How Pep wants to play, and he was brought here to implement a style of play, is more difficult to implement. Mou and MU may have more success in the short-term but hopefully Pep will create something with long lasting benefits. That doesn't mean we can't or won't be more successful in short-term but it is a higher risk approach. What Pep needs to do is balance what he is trying to achieve in terms of positional play with getting the best out of his existing resources.

Clearly not seen the end game yet but so far I haven't seen anything revolutionary with Pep's style of play. When it comes off it looks great but also when it goes wrong, it looks like chaos.

Arsenal have adopted a possession based game for years under Wenger but with there soft under belly and lack of killer instinct have underachieved. I can see many similarities, defining season for Pep.

It sounds baffling but we lack a killer edge in front of goal. The amount of chances we squander is a joke, and we can't defend that we'll at the other end. It's a balancing act that Pep needs to get right else we'll be challenging for a Champions League spot rather than the title.
It sounds baffling but we lack a killer edge in front of goal. The amount of chances we squander is a joke, and we can't defend that we'll at the other end. It's a balancing act that Pep needs to get right else we'll be challenging for a Champions League spot rather than the title.
I haven't watched the Everton game back so this might be wrong, but my impression was that the 1st half was a dead loss, we had just started to play and then the sending off happened. 2nd half up against it, we played very well. Some good attacking situations. I think if we can play like that in the 2nd half, and keep 11 players on the pitch, we will win a lot of games. I don't know how we can be better with 10 than 11. Attitude?

I don't know how we can be better with 10 than 11. Attitude?
I think it was a combination of tactics on both sides; personnel changes helped too, notably Sterling and later on B. Silva.

We switched Kompany to cover Calvert-Lewin - that substantially decreased the effectiveness of the long ball out to CL that was killing us in the 1st half; and Everton decided to play much more defensively - giving us more of the ball which lead to many more chances for us.

Consider our midfield: KDB, David Silva, and now Bernardo Silva who I thought was magical against Everton. They enjoy 75% possession. Just stick Jesus and Sterling up front. It is that simple. Pacy energetic forwards cannot fail to get on the end of balls from our midfield. The problem we had on Monday may have been formation 1st half and taking the wrong striker off at ht. I think Aguero will do well for us this season, but he might be easier to mark than Jesus

I saw it live and thought it was an exciting game, particularly the second half. We watched it again the next day and I have to admit I was disappointed albeit its early season. There was some nice individual cameos but i didn't think it was a good team performance. The link work between just about everyone was lacking imo. We missed Yaya's ability to link defence and attack. I dont believe we created enough chances. I counted maybe 5 that should have resulted in a goal, 2 that Kun missed, 1 where Dave hit he post, 1 that Raheem missed and the goal. Not enough from the possession we had. Early days but big improvement in tempo and incisiveness needed.

I think it was a combination of tactics on both sides; personnel changes helped too, notably Sterling and later on B. Silva.

We switched Kompany to cover Calvert-Lewin - that substantially decreased the effectiveness of the long ball out to CL that was killing us in the 1st half; and Everton decided to play much more defensively - giving us more of the ball which lead to many more chances for us.
Everton were not killing us at anytime. They had 1 shot and 1 header. The problems were going forward. It was Sterling, B Silva and Danilo who caused them problems by running at them. Mystery to me why we didn't do that in 1st half. There was nothing to stop Walker and Sane doing that. Perhaps they were confused about their job

Everton were not killing us at anytime. They had 1 shot and 1 header. The problems were going forward. It was Sterling, B Silva and Danilo who caused them problems by running at them. Mystery to me why we didn't do that in 1st half. There was nothing to stop Walker and Sane doing that. Perhaps they were confused about their job
Perhaps we disagree about the term "killing us" - they were clearly at least equal to us in terms of possession and threat until we switched Kompany to cover Calvert-Lewin.

For me, at home, against a not top-4 side, that's killing us.

I haven't watched the Everton game back so this might be wrong, but my impression was that the 1st half was a dead loss, we had just started to play and then the sending off happened. 2nd half up against it, we played very well. Some good attacking situations. I think if we can play like that in the 2nd half, and keep 11 players on the pitch, we will win a lot of games. I don't know how we can be better with 10 than 11. Attitude?

We started to hit our straps after a sluggish opening around 25-30 minutes in, we had two glorious chances to take the lead and were then sucker punched with a soft goal following on from an individual error. We were then shell shocked but still managed to create another decent chance that Jesus squandered.

Second half we upped the intensity but didn't really carry that much threat until Danilo came on, this allowed Sterling to move central and he took the game to them and all of a sudden we started opening them up.

I saw it live and thought it was an exciting game, particularly the second half. We watched it again the next day and I have to admit I was disappointed albeit its early season. There was some nice individual cameos but i didn't think it was a good team performance. The link work between just about everyone was lacking imo. We missed Yaya's ability to link defence and attack. I dont believe we created enough chances. I counted maybe 5 that should have resulted in a goal, 2 that Kun missed, 1 where Dave hit he post, 1 that Raheem missed and the goal. Not enough from the possession we had. Early days but big improvement in tempo and incisiveness needed.
Good assessment imo

Agreed.

There was a communication issue with some of the passing. Language barriers?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.