Everyday is a School Day

silverback said:
Always thought that being injured early in the 66 World Cup and not getting his place back from Hurst sent Greavsie into the arms of the demon drink. I read that he had to be made to watch the final and for the best goalscorer of his generation to be sat watching was all too much for the lad.
Did he not score the two for Tottenham in the Ballet on Ice?
He did open the scoring in that game, but City ran out 4-1 winners. However, he did score 2 on his debut for West Ham in 1971. West Ham won that 5-1, on my birthday too. Happy days.

strongbowholic said:
Fucking hell! There's another one for me. Again, I knew Cloughie was a good player and I think he finished due to a broken leg? Certainly a leg injury anyway, however I did not realise just what a good scoring record he had.

I heard a tale about a player he managed who scored 5 in a game and got hauled off. He asked Cloughie why he'd been hooked and Cloughie said "because you are not breaking my record" - apparently he had scored 6 in a game as a player.

Think that might be one of those apocryphal tales though.
Brian Clough snapped his cruciate ligament, but in those days it was almost always career ending

silverback said:
Always thought that being injured early in the 66 World Cup and not getting his place back from Hurst sent Greavsie into the arms of the demon drink. I read that he had to be made to watch the final and for the best goalscorer of his generation to be sat watching was all too much for the lad.
Did he not score the two for Tottenham in the Ballet on Ice?

Spurs only scored one in the Ballet on Ice.

It was the first goal of the game, IIRC.

Sorry guys I am getting my Spur's game mixed. I think it was 62 when we rang rings round them, Peter Dobing bagged three. What made it so remarkable was that Spurs were by a long way the best team in England.
The first team in the modern era to do the double. They must have hated us because the year before they had set off the season winning all their games until they played us at the Lane and we held them to a 1-1 draw. I think Bert saved a penalty on the stroke of half time and although the rebound was knocked in it was disallowed because the half was deemed to be over.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.