Exclusive: Manchester City bid to gatecrash world elite

There is a real undercurrent in that piece, every little window to have a snipe is taken on.

On a side note, around United having 8 companies, City od have the same thing. The club is split into small plc's.

EG
Manchester City Management Services
Manchester City Coaching Servises
Manchester City Commercial Servies and so on

all the costs incurred by the exec management go through the top company. Mancini, Platt and co go through the second one
the coproate and sales teams go through the third one.

It is fairly basic business practice for major companies where moving around revenues and costs, creating defered tax and material holdings movements. We will see these changes in the account released next year in terms of cost reduction from the actual football club.

Matty said:
Its the "....City are not currently selling out the Etihad...." comment that had me giving up on the article. We sell out virtually the entire time. If something as measurable, and obvious, as this can be wrong then I have no trust in anything else in the article.

Do you actually believe this to be true? Look at the consistant numbers of spare seats littered around the ground.

I think the club have an agreement with viagogo to buy up the remaining seats at a low cost a set time prior to the game who then try to sell on at an inflated price. Benefits the club who get some contribution to the seats and get to announce a sell out when in fact it isnt. Well technically it is but not due to actual demand.

mcfc_paul said:
Do you actually believe this to be true? Look at the consistant numbers of spare seats littered around the ground.

I think the club have an agreement with viagogo to buy up the remaining seats at a low cost a set time prior to the game who then try to sell on at an inflated price.

But most of the empty seats are in level 1 and this AFAIK is completely a season ticket zone of the ground. I'm sure I read Viagogo get level 3 seats to sell.

One bad thing about low season ticket prices (never thought I'd say that but stay with me...) is that it seems to make part-timers not think twice about buying then leaving their seat empty for half the season.

LoveCity said:
But most of the empty seats are in level 1 and this AFAIK is completely a season ticket zone of the ground. I'm sure I read Viagogo get level 3 seats to sell.

One bad thing about low season ticket prices (never thought I'd say that but stay with me...) is that it seems to make part-timers not think twice about buying then leaving their seat empty for half the season.

I dont think the family stand is completely full with seasoncard holders. This is one of the main problem areas. Not going to complain about the lower ticket pricing although i think you may have a point there.

Bigga said:
Is it me or is this just bits of previous articles cobbled together and attached to the Soriano statement in Dec??

This is just old news rehashed, surely??

Sure reads that way, although being from the US, I've not really embraced any specific MLS team. I follow the local squad Fire a little bit but don't consider myself a fan. It's hard not to like the Sounders. An alum from my college (Bryan Gaul) plays defense for the Galaxy, so I follow him a little bit. But if City were to own or operate an MLS club, that would definitely give me a home team to cheer on.

Done some digging.

Alex Bayers
Senior consultant

Alex is a senior consultant. He qualified as a chartered accountant with Deloitte in Manchester and spent two years on secondment in Melbourne, before joining the Sports Business Group. He has undertaken various assignments working with national and international governing bodies, clubs, local authorities and other sports business organisations in the UK and internationally.

Alex leads our work in tennis and has delivered several projects for the ATP and the WTA including tournament financial reviews and benchmarking player remuneration against other sports.

Alex is a leading expert on sports finance and worked on UEFA Club Licensing, where he helped develop the revised financial criteria for their club licensing system. Alex's work involved technical advice with particular emphasis on international financial reporting and auditing standards, issue resolution, drafting regulations and providing football business expertise.

His other work in sport includes due diligence examinations on acquisitions of several Premier League clubs, development of Information Memoranda for potential investors, Business Plan reviews, the creation of a Performance Related Pay framework for a Champions League football club, and economic impact studies.

He worked on secondment at London 2012, assisting with financial reporting and analysis. Alex is the north west co-ordinator for the Deloitte Disability Sports programme.

Alex is an author of the Deloitte Annual Review of Football Finance and he is a media spokesperson for the Sports Business Group. He has recently spoken at several conferences on the impact of the economic downturn on sport.

Alex is a keen sportsman and enjoys triathlons, tennis, skiing and trekking.

Martyn Hawkins
Consultant

Martyn is a senior consultant within the Sports Business Group. He has undertaken various assignments working with governing bodies, clubs and other sports business organisations in the UK and around Europe.

Martyn is a qualified chartered accountant and works closely with the Corporate Finance team at Deloitte. His recent transaction related projects have involved Premier League and Football League clubs, Formula 1 teams, a sports rights agency and a market leading betting and gaming organisation.

He has worked extensively with county cricket clubs assessing business plans and providing advice to Test Match venues on the profitability of international matches.

Martyn is an author of the Deloitte Annual Review of Football Finance and the Deloitte Football Money League, with a detailed focus on revenues and profitability on English clubs. He regularly performs analysis of domestic and international player transfers.

Martyn is a keen follower of English rugby, cricket and follows a number of other sports including American football, Formula 1 and golf.

In the summer of 2010 Martyn took part in the Deloitte Ride Across Britain, cycling more than 1,000 miles over 9 days raising funds for Paralympics GB.

MCRJON said:
There is a real undercurrent in that piece, every little window to have a snipe is taken on.

On a side note, around United having 8 companies, City od have the same thing. The club is split into small plc's.

EG
Manchester City Management Services
Manchester City Coaching Servises
Manchester City Commercial Servies and so on

all the costs incurred by the exec management go through the top company. Mancini, Platt and co go through the second one
the coproate and sales teams go through the third one.

It is fairly basic business practice for major companies where moving around revenues and costs, creating defered tax and material holdings movements. We will see these changes in the account released next year in terms of cost reduction from the actual football club.

In fairness, at the top of the article they state that virtually all (top level) professional clubs are run this way and bit further down the article they quite clearly state that the scum use eight different companies for their employees. Based on the principle that the media never ever insult the scum, they probably weren't actually trying to have a dig, or they've be damning their beloved rags by association.

ell said:
Clearly a load of shite. Cant sell out the Etihad even though you can count the non sellouts on one hand from this season
Eh? We have sold out every league game for two years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.