FA to propose that PL clubs have feeder/B-teams

Falastur said:
mad zab said:
Personally I would have the Championship and Division 1 come under the control of the Premier League.

Then have regionalised leagues by using the Division 2, Conference teams and official B teams from the top 3 leagues.

With respect, having a PL B-team in a regional 4th tier league would be like loaning players to pub teams, that level of competition is just no good for youth development. Also I rather think that regionalising L2 and the conference would put a number of clubs into bankruptcy.

I think L2 and the conference are a lot better than pub teams.

The main benefit would be that the young players would be playing against different styles. also older and more physical players.

You could always try and put the L1 clubs in there but I don't think they would vote for that.

The whole issue is to try and give our young players more competitive games.

As for the cost, surely less travelling of both teams and fans in the lower leagues would be more beneficial?

Non-starter for me. I love the fact that English football has such depth and tradition and I can't really get my head round how this would actually improve the quality of English players. There must be more fundamental changes that could be made that would produce results rather than a Dyke gimmick. And, never mind who would be our feeder-club, it wasn't so long ago that City could have been a feeder-club for somone else, imagine that?

The lower leagues are still not technical enough and clubs like Oldham can't be trusted to fulfill their role with just one loan player.

Have thought for a while that we should buy a Liga Adelante side, build them a new training facility and youth academy and set up a direct rival to Barca and Real in their own territory, thus we can sign youngsters to that club or ours, loan them out for a couple of seasons to that competitive level and then bring them back.

You've got the likes of Zaragoza, Mallorca, Alaves, Murcia, Cordoba, Girona, Deportivo all known clubs in a technical league, it's a winning factor for Barca and Real and I'm sure if we pick a club in a tourist hotspot then a fair few blues will go over for the odd weekend to watch our future prospects in the sun as well.

I have an Idea

Why dont the FA stop talking bollox and tell it how it is.

Why dont the English kids work harder, Practice more, study the game, get techinally better and ask for less money. Instead they think they have made it when they turn up at an Academy before they can even shave, stop learning and blame everyone else.

This is a Rafa fact. Any manager will play them at his teams lever if they are good enough at level regardless of age.

I reckon that should do the trick.

I don't like the idea of taking over proper clubs. But I do think the concept of B teams is progressive.

The way to do this, if it's to be done, is to split the Championship into two regional leagues, (roughly) 50% each proper clubs, 50% B teams. The B teams would not be eligible for promotion or relegation, and wouldn't be allowed in the FA cup.

This would of course cost money, especially as not every Premiership club has a secondary ground to play on.

mad zab said:
Falastur said:
mad zab said:
Personally I would have the Championship and Division 1 come under the control of the Premier League.

Then have regionalised leagues by using the Division 2, Conference teams and official B teams from the top 3 leagues.

With respect, having a PL B-team in a regional 4th tier league would be like loaning players to pub teams, that level of competition is just no good for youth development. Also I rather think that regionalising L2 and the conference would put a number of clubs into bankruptcy.

I think L2 and the conference are a lot better than pub teams.

The main benefit would be that the young players would be playing against different styles. also older and more physical players.

You could always try and put the L1 clubs in there but I don't think they would vote for that.

The whole issue is to try and give our young players more competitive games.

As for the cost, surely less travelling of both teams and fans in the lower leagues would be more beneficial?

Don't get me wrong. I agree, L2 and the Conf are better than pub sides. But you suggested that they should be turned into regional leagues, and that means that clubs at the high end of L2 would end up playing many of their games against Conf North or perhaps even Northern Premier League level sides, depending on how many divisions you make. Even if you had two divisions, like the Conf North/South split, I think after a few seasons you'd see a noticeable drop in quality of the average 4th tier side, and that drop in quality would start to permeate League One as the promoted sides offered less challenge and made competing easier. It would be imperceptible to the average fan because it would take so long to happen that tactics and standards would change over time anyway, but I think you'd even see the drop-off in quality start to affect the Championship eventually. That's my problem with this plan.

Also I highly doubt that the PL would want to take over the Championship and L1. A few chairmen of relegation-battling clubs would definitely vote for it, but the PL makes its money on putting a chokehold on money trickling down to the lower divisions, and I think that actually having to financially support two extra divisions would be anathema to most PL chairmen.

Como Cat said:
Non-starter for me. I love the fact that English football has such depth and tradition and I can't really get my head round how this would actually improve the quality of English players. There must be more fundamental changes that could be made that would produce results rather than a Dyke gimmick. And, never mind who would be our feeder-club, it wasn't so long ago that City could have been a feeder-club for somone else, imagine that?

I agree.

To me every club from Carlisle to Exeter is just as important as City, Chelsea or Liverpool.

Think the new European u21 that has started this season is a good step up where they play the same teams as the 1st team..

The structure of the bottom three leagues is essentially the same as it was fifty years ago. Is there another prominent industry, or sport for that matter that has undergone so little systemic change in that time?

Not saying this proposal is an unequivocally good thing, but something will have to give eventually. Part-time in the bottom two leagues at the very least imo. Can't see why that would have any particularly negative influence on those clubs as things stand.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.