FC Basel (a) pre-match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 at the back anyone?

Not sure, as we don't have Mendy nor Sané really (IMO) on the left. Also Jesus as a 2nd striker for a 3-5-2 is missing.

I'm not a Basel expert, but I feel their setup is in a way similar to Leicester.
5 at the back, waiting for the counter. Lowest possession (avg 39%) in the current CL campaign.
Not as physical I guess, but very good on the ball and also able to press high.

Oberlin is extremely quick on the break, Walker is the only one to compete pace.

I wouldn't overestimate the 1-0 vs rags, where rags were a bit unlucky and lost in the last minute.
Nor the 5-0 vs Benfica, who were just a shambles.

Pep has only won 4 of 22 CL away games in knockout stages. Should be no. 5 today.

Last edited:
As daft as it sounds we should go full strength for our next 3 cup games, we can afford to drop points in the league but cup comps are all abou winning

I'm not suggesting this will be an easy game, but I hope that if we create a lot of chances, we're clinical enough to end the tie right there and then.

If Basel are really good tonight then fair enough, it's going to be decided at home in the second leg, but at this stage of the season, juggling 4 competitions, we have to capitalise on chances when we make them, we can't afford to have one of those games where we win 1-0 but should have scored 5 or 6.

I'm not suggesting this will be an easy game, but I hope that if we create a lot of chances, we're clinical enough to end the tie right there and then.

If Basel are really good tonight then fair enough, it's going to be decided at home in the second leg, but at this stage of the season, juggling 4 competitions, we have to capitalise on chances when we make them, we can't afford to have one of those games where we win 1-0 but should have scored 5 or 6.

I know what you mean, but I would happily take a 1-0 win back to Fortress Etihad

+1

ideally try and finish the tie today if possible.

Ederson
Walker Kompany Otamendi Danilo / Zinchencho
kdb Fernandinho Silva
B Silva kun Sterling

I don't know much about Basel but at this stage you hardly get easy games. Having said that if we could get a decent win it would give us the option of rotating a few in the 2nd leg

Perhaps a bit OT, but is it only me that finds VK's comments a bit nauseating again. Reminds me of his ridiculous "hunting season" comments, after which we fell apart and our title hopes fizzled out. I wish he'd keep his gob shut to be honest.
A captain of a football team expressing well argumented confidence on behalf of the club. Simply unheard of.

just no more injuries! Every game injury free feels like an extra couple of goals. Important cup and league games over the next few weeks and we need to be firing on all cylinders so we don’t slip up in the cups like we did last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.