Ferran Soriano & Txiki Begiristain

Status
Not open for further replies.
bluwes said:
Soriano won't have much say in sacking Cheeky, they don't come as a pair, surely that will be down to Kalhdoon.

As the CEO, Soriano is in charge of the day to day running of City and its staff. Khaldoon is the Chairman of the board. Al-Mubarak could probably sack anybody he liked if he really pushed for it but there's a reason he has handed the reigns over to Soriano and it's because he trusts his judgement.

And Soriano seems to trust Begiristain judgement and is willing to give him more than a FFP restricted year before making decisions, thankfully.

Soriano and Begiristain shouldn't be lumped together like they always are.

Soriano has done a great job of growing the business side of the football club and making the club self sustainable.

Begiristain on the other hand is the one who should be under pressure as the players that have been signed under his watch haven't really improved the squad.

Damocles said:
flb said:
grim up north said:
What has Sorriano done wrong in your wibbly wobbly world

What has he done right?

Apart from reducing our losses heavily aided by new BT and Sky Tv deals can you explain exactly what he has done that has transformed things on the pitch.

He's the CEO. His job has little to do with what goes on on the pitch. I think I was right earlier when I said that you are confused over the scope of his role.

He is an Executive and the point of him is to increase revenues, grow the City brand and form a cohesive management structure. This is what he has done with the added benefit of also launching the City Football Group that is an international organisation in 4 key commercial markets and negotiating both purchasing and relationships for all of them. He has overseen the stadium expansion, the move to the City Football Academy, new contracts with Nike and markets we never even looked at before like Energy Drink Sponsorships, he is our man to talk to UEFA having been a former board member of the G-14 and the European Club Association and somehow managed to wrangle the most useless set of FFP sanctions possible, and made City one of the highest earning clubs in the world whilst doing all of this.

We're a nobody on the global stage and despite this even without the Etihad deal we're competing with the Bayerns and Chelseas of the world in terms of revenues.

Outside of him subbing himself on and scoring a hattrick in the CL game at the Nou Camp I don't know what else you want him to do. I'm not kidding when I say his performance at City has been akin to a Aguero or Toure. Our growth under him in all areas is absolutely incredible.

Good post. This is what I wanted to say but didn't have the time or patience to spell it all out.

Sitka said:

Soriano has done a great job of growing the business side of the football club and making the club self sustainable.

Begiristain on the other hand is the one who should be under pressure as the players that have been signed under his watch haven't really improved the squad.

I'd agree with that somewhat.

Begiristain is one of those who is hit and miss at senior level but seems to nail it when it comes to bringing in quality youth. He's a bit weird in that he's generally solid with people like Bony, Fernandinho and Mangala being obviously talented players who are better footballers than their replacements of nobody, Barry and Lescott but every now and again he buys a Fernando. It's only £12m and as a replacement for Rodwell we made money on the exchange but it's a puzzling thing really.

Again, his isn't a role that you judge after 12 months. You judge him after 5 years and then have a look at the long term changes he made to the squad. It's unfortunate but there's no other decent way to judge a DoF

Damocles said:
flb said:
grim up north said:
What has Sorriano done wrong in your wibbly wobbly world

What has he done right?

Apart from reducing our losses heavily aided by new BT and Sky Tv deals can you explain exactly what he has done that has transformed things on the pitch.

He's the CEO. His job has little to do with what goes on on the pitch. I think I was right earlier when I said that you are confused over the scope of his role.

He is an Executive and the point of him is to increase revenues, grow the City brand and form a cohesive management structure. This is what he has done with the added benefit of also launching the City Football Group that is an international organisation in 4 key commercial markets and negotiating both purchasing and relationships for all of them. He has overseen the stadium expansion, the move to the City Football Academy, new contracts with Nike and markets we never even looked at before like Energy Drink Sponsorships, he is our man to talk to UEFA having been a former board member of the G-14 and the European Club Association and somehow managed to wrangle the most useless set of FFP sanctions possible, and made City one of the highest earning clubs in the world whilst doing all of this.

We're a nobody on the global stage and despite this even without the Etihad deal we're competing with the Bayerns and Chelseas of the world in terms of revenues.

Outside of him subbing himself on and scoring a hattrick in the CL game at the Nou Camp I don't know what else you want him to do. I'm not kidding when I say his performance at City has been akin to a Aguero or Toure. Our growth under him in all areas is absolutely incredible.

Glick takes a lot of the plaudits for revenue growth but that's a different story, the only way the "Brand" will grow is what happens on the pitch, the only point I am trying to make is just perhaps the old pals act in employing Txiki is just not working and if you are going to tell me the signings and the giving of new contracts to certain players is good business then I'm sorry I don't agree with you, and plenty of good fans and posters on here think the same.

You can bet one thing and that is Khaldoon will be ringing Soriano tomorrow for a briefing on what's happening on the pitch and bullet points and power points won't do as an answer.

I'd like to see PV as DoF to be honest, he's wasted managing the EDS.

Damocles said:
Sitka said:

Begiristain is one of those who is hit and miss at senior level but seems to nail it when it comes to bringing in quality youth. He's a bit weird in that he's generally solid with people like Bony, Fernandinho and Mangala being obviously talented players who are better footballers than their replacements of nobody, Barry and Lescott but every now and again he buys a Fernando. It's only £12m and as a replacement for Rodwell we made money on the exchange but it's a puzzling thing really.

Again, his isn't a role that you judge after 12 months. You judge him after 5 years and then have a look at the long term changes he made to the squad. It's unfortunate but there's no other decent way to judge a DoF

My biggest problem with Begiristain is the lack of 20-24 year old players City have signed since he took over. City need some youth not squad fillers like Bony and Fernando.

Sitka said:
Damocles said:
Sitka said:

My biggest problem with Begiristain is the lack of 20-24 year old players City have signed since he took over. City need some youth not squad fillers like Bony and Fernando.

The issue there though is that if we buy 20-24 year old players then our youth players coming through will never be able to displace them. Bringing in 28-30 means that in 2-5 years when all of this talent we've bought from abroad or brought through our Academy is ready, they will be challenging people on the downswing rather than hitting the best form of their life.

Damocles said:
Sitka said:

What?????? Seriously?????

Upgrades on replacements? 40 million Mangala who cant get in the team better than Lescott who in his prime we had best defence in league.

Fernandiniho better than Dejong or Barry of a couple of years ago give me a break!!!!! Burnley wouldnt have waltzed through our midfield challenge free!!!!

And that leaves Bony? Better than one Carlos Tevez?????? Lol

Damocles said:
Sitka said:
Damocles said:

The issue there though is that if we buy 20-24 year old players then our youth players coming through will never be able to displace them. Bringing in 28-30 means that in 2-5 years when all of this talent we've bought from abroad or brought through our Academy is ready, they will be challenging people on the downswing rather than hitting the best form of their life.

There is no guarantee that any of City's youth will develop into 1st team talent. While the likes of Barker, Angelino, Pozo, Denayer, Lopes, Rekik, Iheanacho, etc all look like good players that should contribute to the 1st team in a few years time there is no guarantee. Most of them have never played in a competitive 1st team match yet. If these players don't develop as we all hope in 2-5 years City will have a team full of 30+ year olds that will be fighting for the Europa League. Txiki is either incredibly brave or incredibly stupid to put that much faith in City's academy.

Bojan scored 10 league goals for Barca as a 17 year old. He looked like the next Messi and 7 years later he was sold to fucking Stoke for 2 million euros.

Albi11 said:
Damocles said:
Sitka said:

What?????? Seriously?????

Upgrades on replacements? 40 million Mangala who cant get in the team better than Lescott who in his prime we had best defence in league.

Fernandiniho better than Dejong or Barry of a couple of years ago give me a break!!!!! Burnley wouldnt have waltzed through our midfield challenge free!!!!

And that leaves Bony? Better than one Carlos Tevez?????? Lol

Bony wasn't a replacement for Tevez. Fernandinho wasn't a replacement for De Jong.

Jovetic replaced Tevez as a like for like and De Jong was replaced by Javi Garcia as a like for like.

Bony was a replacement for nobody, or Negredo if you want to get a bit more technical about it. Fernandinho came in to cover the hole left in the squad by Barry, who it was becoming increasingly apparent couldn't play in a 2 man midfield and even struggled a bit in a 3. Everton fans will attest that he's lost quite a bit recently.

Lescott couldn't get into the City team, is 32 and was on one of our old style contracts where we gave people ~£150k a week. You can talk about form and the like and there's an argument there but I imagine everybody would agree that Mangala is a more talented footballer than Lescott by some distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.