Food From Your Youth

I remember pobs, my dad made it for me and my sister a couple of times. Looking back to him having it as a kid it was probably a cheap way to fill them up. Banana butties we used to have too.
Similar with me. Pobs was like a bread and butter pudding without the custard, but too much milk. Still have them occasionally with raisins and a touch of grated nutmeg.

We had some right oddball meals growing up the seventies...
Soup on chips...Always with Scotch broth..
My dads curries..had apples and raisins with mince beef made with Dinaclas curry powder that was only ever sold in butchers shops. You could slice it when it went cold. We all loved it though.
We always had salads on a Saturday that started out as a couple of slices of various meats, Haslett, Braun, proper boiled or roast ham, some sort of weird luncheon meat with green and red peppers that I never did find out the name of, but over the years it changed to include Chinese ribs and noodles for some odd reason.
Also, on the subject of potato hash, my mums was totally different to my dads. Dads was thick and gloopy and occasionally he stuck a three inch crust of pastry made with lard on top whereas my mums was thin and watery but both were delish..On dads hash we used to stick either pickled beetroot or pickled red cabbage on it, sometimes piccalilly or just brown sauce or ketchup.
We also had bacon and sausage with mash and peas with the bacon fat poured over the mash.
Breast of lamb...God I miss that stuff..I remember my mum sending me out to the mint patch at the end of the garden to get the mint for the mint sauce, Malt vinegar, mint and sugar..Tastes fuck all like the stuff in a jar.
We never really bothered with shop bought convenience crap..The only concession to that was butterscotch angel delight sometimes after the sunday dinner..
Plate pies? where did they go?

Here's a regular thing we had every Sunday, hopefully I'm not on my own with this and it may ring a few bells with some of you...Cabbage water and cabbage cores....fucking lush...Mam would stick the cores when they were cooked on certain plate that had a distinctive sound...We'd hear that noise and all hell would break lose...It was like a Le Mans start between me and my two older brothers to get to them first. Cabbage water with loads of salt and pepper...yum.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.