Football Governance Bill (Independent Regulator) introduced today

Completely out of her depth. Loads of words without any substance. No real answers to the questions asked. It was a mere political interview were the person being interviewed only keep repeating the things they wanted to say all the while making them look like they don’t have a fucking clue about the real problems in the pyramid.

Greed
Debt
American hence funds ownership model v city.

Shouting about fan power over stadia movement or badge changes misses the point. The premier league have been trying to avoid paying the championship a significant lumpsum and the championship also don’t trickle down that money to the lower leagues.

It’s ok tho, parry, gill and masters will keep the ship clean and pointing in the red direction.

Trying to keep an open mind but it looks toothless.
The current government are clueless and dangerous, we have had a foreign sec who didn’t realise the importance of Dover for trade, a northern ireland minister unaware of the difference between Nationalists and Unionists, they really are morons. no the cartel will be more concerned that a Starmer government will appoint a competent sports minister who may just have a look under the covers.

It all sounds very familiar but who will they appoint? How much public money will they be paid? Will it be a political donor?
I have no faith in this. I hope I’m wrong but I have become more cynical in the past few years and I just get despondent when I hear it’s coming from the Government. Sorry. :-( :-)

If it's anything like regulatory bodies in other industries, then it will be entirely funded by fee-paying clubs in exchange for them having licences to operate. So no public money is necessarily required for regulation, but that funding model will be a point of contention for clubs who are already financially strained.

The appointment of the leadership for the regulator is a good question, those are usually appointed by a governmental body (in banking it's done by HM Treasury and the Chancellor). I assume this one will be appointed by the Dept. for Sports & Culture. I agree with you EB - that doesn't fill me with confidence. I just hope they are heavily advised by the civil service rather than installing some politicised and completely inert talking head.

To add a bit of optimism, I think best case scenario this body brings about better funding further down the pyramid and actually holds the "history clubs" to account for their unsustainable commercial practices. Worst case scenario, they do absolutely nothing and are pretty much completely pointless.

I'm willing to take the gamble on that, though.

I have only an article in the Guardian to go off for any detail at all of the bill and the Guardian isn't renowned for its sympathy for City but even from that source there seems little to worry us. The minister may be just another politician but she will have taken advice from those in the industry and out of it so, potentially, things look promising. The emphasis on clubs as cultural, local institutions and on consultation of fans are features which bode well and our owners seem to be the model for owners that the bill wants to see. The Glazers might be in trouble though and I doubt many rag fans would quibble. I think its also well to keep in mind that the major UK parties all see investment as the only way to prosperity though owners may be required to prove that they have the ability to finance the investment. This is something fans have often demanded and it won't worry City. On the whole I welcome what I've heard today but it is early days yet and we do need to see some flesh on the bones. Here's hoping!

I have only an article in the Guardian to go off for any detail at all of the bill and the Guardian isn't renowned for its sympathy for City but even from that source there seems little to worry us. The minister may be just another politician but she will have taken advice from those in the industry and out of it so, potentially, things look promising. The emphasis on clubs as cultural, local institutions and on consultation of fans are features which bode well and our owners seem to be the model for owners that the bill wants to see. The Glazers might be in trouble though and I doubt many rag fans would quibble. I think its also well to keep in mind that the major UK parties all see investment as the only way to prosperity though owners may be required to prove that they have the ability to finance the investment. This is something fans have often demanded and it won't worry City. On the whole I welcome what I've heard today but it is early days yet and we do need to see some flesh on the bones. Here's hoping!
That's how I see it. Especially about the govn wanting investment. I imagine they look at the product and see it being throttled by utd and lfc.

The current government are clueless and dangerous, we have had a foreign sec who didn’t realise the importance of Dover for trade, a northern ireland minister unaware of the difference between Nationalists and Unionists, they really are morons. no the cartel will be more concerned that a Starmer government will appoint a competent sports minister who may just have a look under the covers.
It's slated to be Thangam Debbonaire overseeing the Culture, Media & Sports department in a Labour government, currently.

For anyone who want to read the Bill as at its first reading, you can find it here:

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/58-04/0187/230187.pdf

I don't know if there is anything significant about it citing intentional and persistent failure to co-operate in relation to any investigation into the relevant infringement as an aggravating condition potentially leading to the revocation of a club's operating license.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.