Football trivia question

One thing I found weird when researching the question (oh yes.... research baby, research ha ha)
Was Leeds won it the year before Newcastle did.
They played Rangers in the quarter final and had a crowd of 50,500 at Elland Road.
Yet for the semi final against Dundee United, there was 23,830 there and for the final against the Hungarian's Ferencvaros there was just 25,268 at Elland Road!
In fact in the 3rd round they played Hibernian and there was 31.000 there! What the fuck was that all about?

One thing I found weird when researching the question (oh yes.... research baby, research ha ha)
They played Rangers in the quarter final and had a crowd of 50,500 at Elland Road.
Yet for the semi final against Dundee United, there was 23,830 there and for the final against the Hungarian's Ferencvaros there was just 25,268 at Elland Road!
In fact in the 3rd round they played Hibernian and there was 31.000 there! What the fuck was that all about?

Were loads of them locked up after the rangers match?

Didn't some cities enter combined teams to get round the one team per city rule?
Someone once told me the ICFC wasn't fully recognised by UEFA so the Barcodes last official trophy was the FA Cup in 1955.

Didn't some cities enter combined teams to get round the one team per city rule?
Someone once told me the ICFC wasn't fully recognised by UEFA so the Barcodes last official trophy was the FA Cup in 1955.

Yep, the first tournament being the best example.
Barcelona (comprising 10 Barca and one Espanol) beat a strange London XI, featuring players from 11 different teams.
The ICFC wasn't officially ratified, (hence Barcelona entered both european tournaments in 60-61).
However, it was only recently that Newcastle's triumph was downgraded.

I suspect that might have had something to do with the number of travelling supporters from Glasgow.

My mate’s an Evertonian and his dad used to frighten us with tales of the British Cup, that was temporarily introduced in the early 60s
When Everton won the Football League in 1963, they arranged a two legged tie with the Scottish League Champions, Glasgow Rangers.

The First Leg was at Ibrox, and basically Everton took Rangers to the cleaners, winning 3-1.

The Second Leg was on a Monday night, just before Christmas, and expecting a comfortable, but ultimately meaningless victory, most Everton fans didn’t bother.
Apparently, 20,000 Rangers fans turned up, and caused utter mayhem in the Gwladys Street, one of them eventually being imprisoned for causing brain damage to an Evertonian, with an iron bar that was ripped from a Fire Exit door.

I suspect that might have had something to do with the number of travelling supporters from Glasgow.

My mate’s an Evertonian and his dad used to frighten us with tales of the British Cup, that was temporarily introduced in the early 60s
When Everton won the Football League in 1963, they arranged a two legged tie with the Scottish League Champions, Glasgow Rangers.

The First Leg was at Ibrox, and basically Everton took Rangers to the cleaners, winning 3-1.

The Second Leg was on a Monday night, just before Christmas, and expecting a comfortable, but ultimately meaningless victory, most Everton fans didn’t bother.
Apparently, 20,000 Rangers fans turned up, and caused utter mayhem in the Gwladys Street, one of them eventually being imprisoned for causing brain damage to an Evertonian, with an iron bar that was ripped from a Fire Exit door.
Bloody hell!
Yes I assumed that Rangers fans would swell the gates.... but only 25,000 Yorkies for a final? No TV etc.... just seems strange (unless it was some - alleged - Swales-esk type attendance fiddle....)

Bloody hell!
Yes I assumed that Rangers fans would swell the gates.... but only 25,000 Yorkies for a final? No TV etc.... just seems strange (unless it was some - alleged - Swales-esk type attendance fiddle....)

Yes, it seems a bit low key, and probably wasn’t helped by the Final being played the midweek before the start of the following season.

Even stranger was Birmingham’s home leg attendance of 21,000 for the 1960-61 Final against Roma which wasn’t played until mid September of 61-62.

The Semi Final had witnessed Birmingham beating Inter Milan in front of 60,000, in the San Siro, the previous April.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.