For those that saw both live who was better?

I agree.he needed that side too,in the often violent 70s...And Bells heading ability is often over looked, lots more heading in the 60s and 70s,the ball was often in the air, diff game completely. Very hard to compare Bell and Silva.Silvas game is ball retention and esquite thru balls into the forwards..Bell was so ,much more than that,impressive goal scoring for a midfielder,goal line clearances, rugged defending,lung busting midfield runs,a very tidy pass and move game,headed goals,a composed head up style of midfield player,always looking ahead of himself ,always looking to set City off on the attack again.
And the scorer of countless mportant t goals,esp in tight matches on away grounds
Silva is without doubt one of the finest midfield players ive ever seen live,but perhaps his goal scoring over the years,for a man of his talent ,could have been a shade higher.I do think Silva has put up with the relentless targeting of his ankles from opponents in a very professional manner,never moaning himself into the refs book,or seeking retaliation...a consumate professional.
Both Bell and Silva score very highly in their calm,mild mannered professional approach to their careers, both off and on the pitch..that is perhaps one area where both players compare favourably.
I

Imo, when you compare Yaya (as many have) KDB & Silva, with Bell, there is no chance any of them can come out on top, unless we are to assume that Bell was significantly worse than them, doing the stuff they do best. Which he wasn't.

He was comparible as a creative player, but a proven better goalsorer, better than anyone in the current team at heading a ball, & then an exceptional defender, who would walk into this team at cb.

It's like folks have a mental block about that, in order to make the comparison.

Different players. Bell was a true box-to-box midfielder who didn't have the silky skills of Silva but could run/sprint all day, had a great passing range and regularly scored in double figures. He'd have been the key player in a Pep team.

Think a combination of Yaya, Fernandinho and Gundogan.

Remember how good Michael Johnson was at first. Thought we had our new Colin Bell. That thought didn’t last very long

No, Bell could tackle.
Although I only saw Bell on a few occasions my guess is De Bruyne makes more tackles per game than Bell did,the difference being DB wins back possession from a standing position.
Regarding Bell-Silva it's hard to decide whether Bell was made to look a better player because the standard around him was not so high and he stood out, or whether Silva is made to look better as he's surrounded by world class players giving him more options.
There's so many different factors it's hard to decide,I would slightly lean towards Bell but am delighted I'm also currently witnessing possibly the best football England's ever seen of which Silva is such a critical part.

Can I widen this a little ? At international level, Silva has done better than Bell, I feel. Mysteriously, he can score for Spain, 33 so far, but not for us. It baffles me. Colin, I felt, was always restricted for England and his great strength, covering every blade of grass as they used to say, was partially negated. If you had a modern touch map, Colin would show all over the pitch for City, but much more on the right for England. Presumably, managers orders.
On the other hand, Colin's restaurant was great, while I'm not aware that David has one!
I'm a romantic old fool and this remeniscing about King Colin has brought tears to my eyes. Just a great great Citizen.

During Bell’s time, the pitch was heavier and furrowed. The ball would hold moisture. The tackles were brutish. Touch meant less than speed and power and stamina. Bell had an engine and desire like no other and looked like a racehorse amongst cart horses. Not sure he had Silva’s touch and close control, because who does. Silva would have struggled more in that era. Each is a master of their time.

Colin was my childhood hero and the sadness I felt when he had to give up still brings a tear to my eye.

This isn't a comparison I care to judge because David Silva is also a truly special player.

Different eras and different players, I'm happy to have seen them both and see them as equals.

Colin was my childhood hero and the sadness I felt when he had to give up still brings a tear to my eye.

This isn't a comparison I care to judge because David Silva is also a truly special player.

Different eras and different players, I'm happy to have seen them both and see them as equals.

Same for me,still have the old shirt with no.8 on the back as my tribute, memory of the King.

My Dad however,now long gone to the Kippax in the sky,always said Peter Doherty was better than Colin Bell,which fits in with your comment Dave about different times and different players

Don't mention that tw@t, he ruined the best English midfielder for generations

Nothing changes, " Fell over the ball "
my-arse2.gif

Buchan, just a shit Phil Jones !!!.......

Both as influential as each other on the team. As a footballer, Silva is the better.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.