From Alaska to China...

whothefisAlice

Well the Alaska job has gone (for women only it turned out, and I had been talked out of it regardless), so I have turned my attention to China. I went to China (and once did a thread on here about China, which went down brilliantly) back in 2006 on a Cultural Exchange program through my university here in Florida. I promised to return as I took the last step out of Beijing International and onto the plane back to the U.S...

Alas, I have been in contact with an agency who have found a school for me in the capital and largest city of the province I taught in back in 2006, Jiangxi. Nanchang, Jiangxi has a population of about 5,000,000, and a tropical climate, with short winters and quite long, hot and humid summers. The weather is not too dissimilar to what we have here in Florida and would not take much getting used to...the occasional frost in winter, and sometimes creeping into the mid-90's in summer. I can live with that...have done for 14 years. The city is an agricultural hub and is rich with culture and history, and has ample modern transportation links to and from it. Geographically it is in S.E China, so travel to S.E Asia would be feasable, and (as far as I am aware) it is not to far from Shanghai, Chengdu (where the pandas are), Taiwan and the like.

From the boy who cried wolf about Alaska, what do we think about this one Blues? Certainly is a completely different ball game this lads, but as many of you have said before, I have nothing to lose.

I would be taking a teaching contract for a year, with airfare reimbursed at the conclusion. I would be teaching about 18-25 hours a week on average, leaving ample spare time to learn the language, live like a king, travel, get with Chinese birds, and explore the nation I fell in love with 5 years ago.

Go for it?

Next time I do one of these, it won't be to ask for advice, it will be something like 'Greetings from Timbuktu Blues...my new home'.

MCC said:
Go for it! It would be a great experience but don`t get caught shagging one of your female students!

Hahaha yea I know right, but fortunately I think they will be 16-18 yr olds and I am pushing 30. I am no fool, or child peddler for that matter. It's tough to tell with the Chinese (not saying Asian because I don't know about other nations), because I swear when I was there I thought the 17-18 yr old girls were about 12 years old man.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
You can go and watch Anelka play for his new team and also watch Sun Jehia (or how ever you spell his name...) his dad used to have a chippy....

Too right! Jihai.<br /><br />-- Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:28 am --<br /><br />
TCIB said:
Don't make me quote Karl on this alice :p

Thought you might get on this one quick mate!!

Like we discussed before, I were exactly the same way as Karl when I was in Beijing, but once you get by that initial culture shock, it becomes a remarkable place. In fact, scrap that, it is just a remarkable place. Apparently Nanchang is known for oranges and rice (some cuisine that), so no 'fetus eggs' for me pal!

Go for it mate! I was in China in September as part of my overland journey from the UK to Australia and it was by far the best country I've visited on route (with Cambodia coming in a close second). We only stayed in Beijing a week and then caught the train down to Vietnam but both me and the missus fell in love with the place.

We've decided to cut out all the crap on the return journey (ie Indonesia) and are getting berths on a freighter from Brisbane straight to China (ten days) so we hope to stay in China longer this time and hopefully get to Tibet too.

Your bang on about the Chinese lasses they can be 25-30ish and look about 12!

On a side note Australia is crap and I am counting the days until we leave,six months left! :(

Go for it, I'd do it in a heartbeat just for the experience. A fair warning is that Chinese food (real Chinese food, not the Panda Express stuff) needs a bit getting used to, my uncle has a lot of business in China and he's had an extensive experience with Chinese cuisine. Just a warning.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.