Fullback - Is it a position that lacks great quality?

• Thread starter 2001bluesky
  • Start date
2 2

2001bluesky

Out of the positions it appears Fullbacks has real shortage of great quality. Hardly few world class prospects around at the moment in this position.

The best two fullbacks I have seen this season are Alves and Marcello
all the rest are still way behind them
Marcelo is a country mile ahead of anyone else on either side. Alves has slotted in really well at Juve, but I don't think he was the best tbh both of PSG's lads are a match and Carvajal is better.

Because it's not an attractive role. Kids with the most talent usually end up playing on the other end of the pitch, full backs are usually failed wingers who convert to the position.

Marcelo is a country mile ahead of anyone else on either side. Alves has slotted in really well at Juve, but I don't think he was the best tbh both of PSG's lads are a match and Carvajal is better.

Good shout that.

Though watching Alves in the CL semi he was absolutely outstanding, what I meant was there may be some good ones coming through none of them have really hit the heights yet.

We may be in for Mendy or so the rumours say and he has a great delivery into the box I still think his defending is not as good as it could be.

Because it's not an attractive role. Kids with the most talent usually end up playing on the other end of the pitch, full backs are usually failed wingers who convert to the position.
Very true. Kids do not aspire to be fullbacks. For centre backs or goal keepers it different, because the focus is pretty much solely on defense, but if a kid thinks they are good at attacking then naturally they aspire to play in a more attacking position like winger or striker or attacking midfielder.

I think that academies are slowly getting better at this, I've seen plenty of fast kids at youth level with plenty of pace playing the fullback role. The change to 3 at the back makes this even more attractive.

True but I do wonder what Lahm was when growing up

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.