Gareth Barry

lancs blue said:
BlueTG said:
NQCitizen said:
It was Zaba's idiotic challenge that resulted in Zaba being sent off.
Theeeez, only theeez

It was Barry's wayward crossfield pass that led directly to Zab's desperate challenge.

Barry sloppily gave away a mediocre goalscoring chance to a team that had had no shots, and wasn't exactly known for its cutting edge.

Zabaleta reduced a demotivated side to 10 men handing back the fitness advantage City had and causing a huge tactical problem within the team.

Does anyone else feel that Barry might fall out of favour a lot this season. Can't see him
playing many matches at all.

I think Barry is a quality player but his lack of pace does hinder the side when playing the elite teams in Europe. In the Prem he gets away with it in most games, he can read the game well and most Prem teams have a lack of pace through the middle anyway and do not target him. When it came to playing Real, Ajax and Dortmund who counter attacked at speed through the middle and wide an ability to read the game only gets you so far, you need to have the pace to cover still. This is where Fernandinho improves us. The two of them together would create a more reserved and sensible approach in away games where the main aim is not to lose (in Europe).

ifiwasarichfan said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Barry has been well worth the money, but it's time to move him on.

He will cost us the best part of £6m if we allow him to see out his final year with us. His wages are massive and we might manage to scrape a fee of around £2m this summer to offset his salary.

He is on the downward curve and just doesn't have the capacity to perform at the highest-level. It happens to all players, the great and the good.

There were plenty of culprits in the Cup Final but Barry was even made to look past it by the enthusiastic running of Wigan.

Memory might be playing tricks, but I believe it was Barry's suicide ball across the back which resulted in Zabaleta also getting sent off?

This is all true.

The thing is though its a squad game nowadays. With the Jury very nearly in on Javi Garcia and it isn't favourable and with Jack Rodwell being so delicate I just think we should keep him around. In the really big games in the Premiership against our rivals he is usually one of the stars of the show and for £6M its a small price to pay for so much quality and experience.

Agree with that, depends if he's happy to be a squad player. Has been a great servant for the club but the signs were there last season that he's starting to decline

cityfan41 said:
Does anyone else feel that Barry might fall out of favour a lot this season. Can't see him
playing many matches at all.

If he stays, then yes. Leaving him out of the Arsenal trip with Sinclair is quite telling. If only Sinclair is sold and Pellegrini brings another defender. Someone of the current squad has to be left out the CL squad. Which will probably be Barry if he stays. Just like Kolo last season.

I think Pelle is trying to get rid of him because he sees him as a player in the stands.

He will put Garcia and Rodwell and Milner ad even Nasri on the bench many times ( or instead one of them Navas), no need for Barry there.
Clearly a fullback or even both will be on the bench (like Zabba/Clichy starts, so Micah/Kolarov on bench).
Pantilimon as well.
And two of Jovetic, Agüero, Dzeko, Negredo.

I expect a few players in the stands vs Newcastle could be a few surprise players being not even on the bench as we have not many injuries luckily now.

Barry's only role could be this season coming off the bench for last 15-20 minutes to hold the lead, make sure we are safe in the back but thats probably not the mentality of Pellegrini, more like Mancini. (Bring off a striker for Barry...)
Also he could be OK for vs. weaker teams only if they dont have pace in midfield but most of the PL teams has pace there and Barry would just struggle.
Also we are looking to press a lot, and Barry cant even run when we have possession he cant run and press opponent when we dont have the ball all the time.

So pretty sure Pellegrini has many reasons not to keep him and there is the financial side also, at least 5 m wages for him and then he could leave free next season.
Given the fact Pellegrini doesnt fancy him at all, its a good decision to sell him now and maybe get a small fee for him as well as save his wages.

Mancini wanted a strong midfielder last year too, like De Rossi who would easily put Barry on the bench for most matches, we only got Garcia so Barry's chances were always going to be limited.

Its not just lack of foot pace his brain is now shot e.g. the ridiculous own goal at Southampton the brain could not get the message to the decrepit legs resulting in a tap in goal. Another example was the lazy sloppy hospital back pass in the cup final, Zaba instantly read it thus, if they get past me we are toast, take one for the team & I might get lucky with the ref. & only yellow.
The PL teams now know his game & realise that his first, second & maybe third ploy is to pirouette on the right leg turn round & pass the ball back to Lescott or Kolarov slowly, so their players can meander back & get ten men in their own half.
It should also be noted that he is developing the old " legs gone " syndrome whereby when an opponent of mediocre pace takes the ball off him he kicks their legs from under them, obviously, from behind, yellow card. then next time.
For mine he is well past the sell by date & if we can offload so be it.
Amazingly in an interview recently he said he was playing better than ever now & could not understand why he was not in the England squad.

certainly a little slow for top opposition imo now.

if we're keeping him then domestic cups and the likes of hull at home (no dis-respect to hull).

champions league is a big big no no for gareth now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.